Author Topic: TFTD underwater smoke  (Read 2416 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
TFTD underwater smoke
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:43:37 pm »
When I was a kid playing TFTD I distinctively remember that moving through smoke tiles underwater adds +2 TU cost to all forms of movement. Moving diagonal cost 8, moving normal cost 6, and it may have been multiplied for above-4TU cost specialty tiles. It also causes no Stun underwater.
(On Land it behaved just like it does in ufo though)

I didnt make much use of smoke in TFTD because of that, I knew it took longer to move through it (annoyingly so) and I tried to skirt the edge as much as I could so that I could get a clear line of sight/fire to hit something. Only time that underwater soot ever helped was when I accidentally shot a pipeline and it filled a massive area with cover since it took awhile to move out of it.

Just the other day I was playing TFTD on my phone (android oxce+ 3.9 distro) and I noticed moving through the soot tiles underwater wasn't affecting my movement at all (it also caused stun accumulation), so this is a bug report.

Now im not so sure its a Good Idea to impose movement restriction from the smoke in an underwater enviro so it should probably be an Extended option to turn it off (just like leaving the Dye Grenade at 10 damage wasnt a good idea). Realistically being sooted-up sure grinds scuba operation to a crawl and can even cancel a dive early... but most of the time xcom agents have their feet planted on the seabed and remember the layout of what they saw before it went to gunk. And everybody underwater would be moving so slow that the timescale for every turn is absurdly longer than it would be on land.

I think this is a rule that could be implemented with whatever is designating a mission as being "underwater" (xcom agents wear helmets, they emit water bubbles, gunfire emits vapor trails, and explosion graphics default to bubble blasts) just to simplify things. I know Meridian updated his Enviros recently but I dont think thats the way to do it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:48:39 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD underwater smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:37:20 am »
In the original TFTD, all they did was add a few extra bits into the move routine to check the depth and if there was smoke in the current tile and then added the extra 2 tus to the cost. Having your helmet on underwater helps mitigate the stun damage from the particles.

An interesting idea would be to go the other way and option to make it affect land smoke particles as well if not wearing some sort of breathing apparatus.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD underwater smoke
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:37:45 am »
Just the other day I was playing TFTD on my phone (android oxce+ 3.9 distro) and I noticed moving through the soot tiles underwater wasn't affecting my movement at all (it also caused stun accumulation), so this is a bug report.

Fixed stun: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/e0ebe3ce6b38ad047f90a2d1362fd72f61712307

Fixed movement: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/c3ea24466358fbf205840634517b90d31c3dda40

Version 3.10 for Android will have these fixed... I just need to do a few more things and then I'll release.