Author Topic: Transifex: Piratez translations  (Read 89564 times)

magus1

Re: Transifex: Piratez translations
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 01:40:48 am »
I wonder what Russian for 'Arrrgh Jim Lad, that it be' is! :D

Magus1

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 11:01:05 am »
The German translation is growing well, but I have "Blackmarch" (that is also an autobiography of SS man Peter Neumann and in the game the territory of fallen Germany) now simply replaced to more positive term, the "Gesell'sche Alternative", a short mostly unknown episode in german 1930s history.

Unfortunately the font size is a bit inflexible, good for Glasses wearers, so we have to shorten the content a bit. But don't worry, I will not rewrite the game, neither the deep story nor the brilliant jokes! ::)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:42:54 pm by Ashert »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:09 pm »
The German translation is growing well, but I have "Blackmarch" (that is also an autobiography of SS man Peter Neumann and in the game the territory of fallen Germany) now simply replaced to more positive term, the "Gesell'sche Alternative", a short mostly unknown episode in german 1930s history.

Eh, can you explain? Does it mean that Blackmarch (Schwarzmark) is not Political Correct in German? I must formally protest. Also I wasn't aware it wasn't me who came up with the name first, neither I care.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 03:08:03 pm »
I bet every single name in Piratez is offensive in some language, country, village or barn.
Blackmarch is composed of two completely neutral words. I certainly wasn't aware of any SS connotations. Are we banning all words which were ever uttered by a Nazi member?
Frankly, this is lunacy and feels like a slap to the cheek.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 03:57:07 pm »
Eh, can you explain? Does it mean that Blackmarch (Schwarzmark) is not Political Correct in German? I must formally protest. Also I wasn't aware it wasn't me who came up with the name first, neither I care.

Actually, there is no such thing as Schwarzmark.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 04:18:54 pm »
There is now :P

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 04:38:16 pm »
There is now :P

And it is offensive already!^^

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »
That means I didn't fail in my job :)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 05:12:42 pm »
As a German I think Schwarzmark is perfectly fine while Gesell'sche Alternative is really unwieldy. I usually think (place) names should not be translated anyway (A Song of Ice and Fire is a pretty good example of why that might be a bad idea.)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 05:43:25 pm »
The problem I see here is that Schwarzmark as a region implies that there is another region with Schwarz in its name and the Schwarzmark is (at) the fringe of it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:45:14 pm by Zharkov »

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 08:38:28 pm »
I bet every single name in Piratez is offensive in some language, country, village or barn.
Blackmarch is composed of two completely neutral words. I certainly wasn't aware of any SS connotations. Are we banning all words which were ever uttered by a Nazi member?
Frankly, this is lunacy and feels like a slap to the cheek.

That was not my intention, I think only the normal casual player, associate with 'Black March', simply 'marching men in black uniforms', a new right wing. Especially when the country lies within the borders of old Germany. So we only copy aspects of Wolfenstein.
That's why I'm turning this country into a 'Silvio Gesell' Society. This early progressive anarchist, far beyond Marx or Hitler.

This is not a break with the game, I will not remove any insult, political impropriety or sexual content etc. Everything is possible in the future!  Other say 'Black March' is the Term for "Black Forest Marchionate", the land under any Count. However, what is the kingdom of this?

Thinking processes must come to an end at some point. We are only players with limited minds. X-Piratez makes few compromises, this is very good for the game. But this little one was mine! ::)

--- posts merged ---

As a German I think Schwarzmark is perfectly fine while Gesell'sche Alternative is really unwieldy. I usually think (place) names should not be translated anyway (A Song of Ice and Fire is a pretty good example of why that might be a bad idea.)

Schwarzmark is really the best, if you really want to translate 'Black March'. Maybe there are just too many Blacks in the country? Ok, that was really incorrect...
I just think, a new german monarchy is not the most creative for this science fiction epic tale!

BTW. We could also rename the 'Eurosyndictate' to more positive 'Knights of the French Constitution of 1793', but this is just an idea for the French translators, I have other construction sites... ;D

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:13:17 pm by Ashert »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 12:43:39 am »
Just fyi: "to commandeer" is a false friend and means "beschlagnahmen", "aneignen", not "kommandieren".

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 01:16:36 am »
Thanks, I fixed it with "kaperte", like a ship at sea!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:18:25 am by Ashert »

Offline Peteruta

• Sergeant
  • Riesige gepanzerte Raumschiffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 03:34:38 pm »
Hi there. My German Translation from XPiratez is to 90% ready. But now with the new upgrade a fistfull of Ammunition i cant use notepad++ with te compare app.... Bevore there was .rul files. Now i have the problem that the new language are .yml files... Compare doesnt work.... Iam not an hacker... Maybe someone can help me... Thanks

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 04:40:23 pm »
Hi there. My German Translation from XPiratez is to 90% ready. But now with the new upgrade a fistfull of Ammunition i cant use notepad++ with te compare app.... Bevore there was .rul files. Now i have the problem that the new language are .yml files... Compare doesnt work.... Iam not an hacker... Maybe someone can help me... Thanks

If you send me the file, I will be happy to convert it for you to the .yml format.

The problem is, what to do with this file later? It can be uploaded to Transifex, but it already has 531 strings translated; these strings will be removed (but still kept in history).
So you and other German translators must agree on how to integrate this. In my opinion, it would be best to upload your version (as it is considerably larger) and later manually adjust the strings which are already translated; 531 is not too many to do this.