Author Topic: Transifex: Piratez translations  (Read 89613 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Transifex: Piratez translations
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:54:13 pm »
I would like to announce with utmost delight that Piratez are now available on Transifex. This means we can now create localizations for the mod with uprecedented ease!
If you want to translate Piratez to your mother tongue, or maybe just help polishing other people's work, please go here:

https://www.transifex.com/openxcom/openxcom-mods/piratez/

Once you select your language from the list, the tool should be fairly self-explanatory. On the left side you have a list of strings to translate. On the right there are two panels: the top one shows English version of a string, the bottom one is where you put your translation. At the bottom of the right half you also have other options, like raw string, comments, warnings etc. - as I said, pretty self-explanatory. When in doubt, feel free to ask here.

Offline Wayans

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Transifex: Piratez translations
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 09:42:51 pm »
Started to crunch the spanish translation!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:05 pm »
Started to crunch the spanish translation!

Fantastic! We love to read translations, and Spanish is really promising!

Offline Wayans

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 06:30:13 pm »
It's really hard to adapt the "piratey" language!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:33:49 pm »
It's really hard to adapt the "piratey" language!

It is often a good idea to follow local criminal/outsider patterns. Most Piratez translations are not overly faithful to the original, which is a good thing. ;)

Offline Wayans

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:05:55 pm »
Yeah I'm already changing a lot of words to make more sense.

Offline yiiBoy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 04:09:39 pm »
Hi guys. I have registered on  https://www.transifex.com/ and see that a lot of text already traslated to Russian. But I don't see this in the game.
How I should apply translation on my PC?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 04:28:49 pm »
Hi guys. I have registered on  https://www.transifex.com/ and see that a lot of text already traslated to Russian. But I don't see this in the game.
How I should apply translation on my PC?

Use the "download for use" and place the file in the mod. Also remove the old version.

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 12:58:47 pm »
I'm currently working on my own Russian translation from scratch with my own tools for months now.
Most of the glossary is finished and I'm half way to finishing the translation. Pretty soon the public version will be available, probably at the end of this month.
I hope so. But i am in no hurry and delays may occur at any time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 01:12:29 pm »
I'm currently working on my own Russian translation from scratch with my own tools for months now.
Most of the glossary is finished and I'm half way to finishing the translation. Pretty soon the public version will be available, probably at the end of this month.
I hope so. But i am in no hurry and delays may occur at any time.

Translating Piratez is a monumental task for one person. Not saying it's impossible, Bartojan did that for Czech, but it still is monumental.
What's wrong with the Russian version from Transifex? Is it so bad that it needs to be completely replaced? My knowledge of Russian is very limited, so I can't say... But I am still curious.

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 03:16:27 pm »
Yeah, it's a lot of work. I.e. some jokes didn't make much sense in Russian and some of them need to be adapted, etc.
Is it so bad that it needs to be completely replaced? My knowledge of Russian is very limited, so I can't say... But I am still curious.

I can't say anything about, because I don't see it. You see, I don't have any problems here and community translation wont help me much, as it will just double the amount of work with little benefits from it. Especially without a glossary.

Is community translation bad or badly good? it's a subjective thing. But I know one thing for certain: two is better than one :)

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 01:17:01 am »
Very useful tool, German is now finished to 0.74 %. Any cooperation welcome.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 11:49:34 am »
Very useful tool, German is now finished to 0.74 %. Any cooperation welcome.

Thank you, German translation is sorely missing. :)

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 03:05:07 pm »
I almost finished my personal translation (with some UI tweaks) into Russian for public use (all titles for items, weapons, armor, crafts, research.tree and other common things, like UI, missions, etc). 4+k lines and it still need some love from editors, but most general things are done ATM.

So today i checked Russian community translation from transifex.com. It's a mediocre translation, with some bad and some really good examples. From what I can see there's also a lot of potential string length problems (maximum line length in UI, lots of strings way too long).

I was thinking about the way how we can compare, revisit and reintegrate these translations. The fastest way I can imagine, i'll do it all by myself and then post it as a mod. Otherwise it will take months to argue a lot about glossary translations (ie, Blackmarch translated as Black Marsh , Belter as Exceptional, Cap'n Kidd as Cap'n kiddo and so on and so forth).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:21:30 pm by FG »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 03:22:32 pm »
Unfortunately we have no translation leader of any kind who would act as an intermediary here. I take care of Piratez translation, and SupSuper manages the entire Transifex (so he is technically my boss), but neither of us speaks Russian.
I really suggest joining Piratez Discord server, it has a translations channel with a fairly active Russian language community - maybe you can discuss things there for the benefit of all.