4 (57.1%)
Lightroom
0 (0%)
Express
0 (0%)
REPLY HERE AFTER YOU READ
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: [POLL] Which Version of Adobe Photoshop You're Using  (Read 1651 times)

Offline FeruEnzeru[RETIRED/I QUIT]

• Colonel
  • retired, because of Meridian and his followers. 👎
    • View Profile
[POLL] Which Version of Adobe Photoshop You're Using
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:25 am »
I remember something... my version of Adobe Photoshop Elements cannot open GIF files, which makes it frustrating for me to do OXC Sprites (And collecting palettes from other XCOM related sprites).

I want to save or open GIFs, but i can't due to Elements won't let me.

I remember that i have a Bamboo Drawing Tablet which included a CD that installs Photoshop Elements 7.

Besides, i want to draw and practice sprites (Well handles and parts of weapons for hair triggers, stocks, expanded magazines and others) with Photoshop after i'm done collecting palettes (What the best color of black pixels).

Feel free to vote here.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: [POLL] Which Version of Adobe Photoshop You're Using
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:00:42 am »
Photoshop? That's a bit overkill for spritework - you'll find that most of use some free program that offers easier tools for working within the X-Com palette.  Personally I use GIMP because I'm familiar with it, and again, it's free.

Offline FeruEnzeru[RETIRED/I QUIT]

• Colonel
  • retired, because of Meridian and his followers. 👎
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:08:32 am »
Photoshop? That's a bit overkill for spritework - you'll find that most of use some free program that offers easier tools for working within the X-Com palette.  Personally I use GIMP because I'm familiar with it, and again, it's free.
It's okay, ohartenstein23. It was on the good list of the "image editors / graphics programs" thread. I'm not very good at Photoshop editing or making sprites (Well the brush for it seems so nuts to use, it might draw a 2 rectangle square pixel draw on top, bottom or side).

I never tried some art programs for making XCOM sprites and collecting XCOM sprite palettes like GIMP, Aseprite (It might require money), IcoFX (30 day trial and 29$ dollar single license), mtPaint and others that people use.

I try and use paint.net's color picker tool for finding pixel colors, it was pretty fun for me to find what pixels and its colors i can find on there. ^^

I better start reading threads and posts on HIVE and OpenXCOM forums every day and every year.

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:50 am »
I use CS5.5. And I will never touch anything beyond CS6.

If you have the option to use propper Photoshop, do that. There is never any overkill with tools you are using. Limiting yourself to lesser tools because they are good enough is really bad habit. Also using GIMP is like using photoshop if both your hands were broken. GIMP is frankenstain mostrosity when it comes to user comfort. If you want something streamlined for pixel work, pretty much anything is better than GIMP.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:56 pm »
i´m using photoshop CS6, but i prefer Photoshop cs4 being more light and easy. Still my real life work is doing Photoshop some of the time,  i learn to do gimp it´s the same but with difference methods. I can´t recommend others because i never tested or needed others except for gimp witch i toke a formation mandatory

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »
I use CS5.5. And I will never touch anything beyond CS6.
If you have the option to use propper Photoshop, do that. There is never any overkill with tools you are using. Limiting yourself to lesser tools because they are good enough is really bad habit. Also using GIMP is like using photoshop if both your hands were broken. GIMP is frankenstain mostrosity when it comes to user comfort. If you want something streamlined for pixel work, pretty much anything is better than GIMP.

Thank you for voicing my opinion. :)
Sure, you can live with GIMP, and in fact it has some functions which aren't as easy in PS... But the same can be said about Blender, Open Office and other such programs. Each of them has a cult following and people who insist they are absolutely best, but I am not one of them. :P

And I use CS3, by the way.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 12:26:33 am »
I use CS2 sometimes.

But for most of my needs as a developer, Microsoft Paint (for editing) and Irfanview (for palette conversion) is enough... I know lol

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 01:11:07 am »
Nothing LoL about that.

Using the right tools for the right jobs shows the character of a good engineer.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 08:29:26 am »
Aseprite is best tool to me for dealing pixel-art and retro-formats such FLC, TGA, PCX. Good palette handling (you can predefine own sets), animations and layers support.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 03:40:03 pm »
Nothing LoL about that.

Using the right tools for the right jobs shows the character of a good engineer.

Very true!
I made a design of a colonoscopy center with MS Paint once. It actually made it to the actual building plan. ;)