Poll

Please Vote (REPLY HERE OR SEND ME A PM)

Illegal
0 (0%)
Not Illegal
5 (100%)
Everyone is right
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: [POLL] Is the Free Version of Paint.Net Illegal? [R&V. DO NOT LOCK/REMOVE]  (Read 1178 times)

Offline FeruEnzeru[RETIRED/I QUIT]

• Colonel
  • retired, because of Meridian and his followers. 👎
    • View Profile
Okay. I would like to ask OpenXCOM or anyone on the internet about Paint.NET download being illegal.

I searched on Google about "is paint.net illegal", it gave me some results, i went to the forums saying "Is it legal or not ?" meaning if the free version of the program's legal or illegal.

I'm not using it right now, but there's a Windows Store version of it saying "Price: Paid" which may be okay for me or not (It can kill me for using that downloaded program).

I was wanting to learn pixel colors for sprites because ms paint messes up the pixels and colors for the vanilla x-com sprites.

Here's the info about it from the paint.net forums:
Bicyclefanatic said: "Hi Paint.net friends. I would like to know if its legal to sell pics i made with paint.net on the internet, and also if it is legal to sell them if i used downloadable plugins." which can be a death trap for anyone to use.

RHoward said: "I think so...it is your work afterall." meaning if he or she is right.

Boude said: "I wouldn't know how it would be illegal, but I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure..

Bicyclefanatic said: "thats my problem, i dont know it too. :D I think that its my work so i can sell it, but im not sure if a plugin developer or even the paint.net team could say that it´s for non commercial use only" which can be true to be illegal.

oma said: "viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30876 this has been discussed several times ... here is one of the most recent links.".

Bicyclefanatic said: "thx to everyone. so just for understanding, is it even legal to sell pics if i used plugins ?" meaning will be very true not to use it.

And BoltBait said: "Yes, you just can't sell paint.net or plugins written by others." which i think he's right.

And that's it.

I'll might save Paint.Net until you guys vote for this poll so that you'll let me know if the free version is illegal.

I am trying to learn UFO and TFTD palettes and pixels with paint (Well, ms paint is no good because it messes up the pixels. Paint.NET is better) on there like the colors of the Rifle, Pistol and others.

And now it messes up everything. That's why i'm trying to use this program for learning colors and pixels for XCOM so that i might learn what it's has to be done.

Make sure you vote for option 1, or 2 or 3 to see if the free version of Paint.Net is illegal.

If so, let me know about it.

~J-Kun FeruEnzeru
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:13:43 am by FeruEnzeru »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
If you make the pics yourself using basic tools, you can generally call it your work regardless of the platform used to make it. The owner of a tool might press legal action if you use their tool without obtaining a user license, but this is highly unlikely unless you become very popular and start making a decent income selling your work. For general use, especially anything you aren't monetizing, the answer is: don't worry about the legality of the tool as long as you don't broadcast to anyone that it's on your computer.

Just make your images and post them. Nobody is likely to ask about the legality of your creations. But in the event that someone tries to pursue legal action against you and you aren't selling your images, then most countries' legal systems protect you. In Sweden, as I understand it, pretty much everything you can pirate over the internet is legal for you to use, because the burden is on the distributor to control access.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
Paint.NET is free and legal.
All pictures you create in it are yours and you are free to do whatever you want with them.

It is all very clearly written on their webpage: https://www.getpaint.net/license.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:35:30 am by Meridian »

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Bicyclefanatic said: "thx to everyone. so just for understanding, is it even legal to sell pics if i used plugins ?" meaning will be very true not to use it.

And BoltBait said: "Yes, you just can't sell paint.net or plugins written by others." which i think he's right.[/color]
Meridian has basically summed it up - but I wanted to point this out, because I think it's part of the reason of the confusion. The first quote indicates selling pictures, the second is talking about selling the software, not what you've produced using it.