aliens

Author Topic: Dead soldier weapons are not recovered if mission is successful  (Read 4210 times)

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
  • Your X-Com must be quite precious to you...
    • View Profile
Dead soldier weapons are not recovered if mission is successful
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:50:15 pm »
Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who makes this community excellent!! I am constantly impressed by what you all create and how tirelessly you are work to create interesting and thoughtful enhancements for these games. :)

I hope this is the right place to ask about this. I have always noticed that at the end of a successful mission, I still get warning messages about how I am low on ammo or guns or something needed to fully re-equip my squad.

The line of reasoning for the game's behavior makes sense to me for most cases:

• Mission failed, and everyone dies: all lives and ammo/guns are lost, and so is the craft (or even your base).
  • Mission aborted, some recruits escaped: all ammo/guns left on the battlefield are lost, but any corpses, artifacts, live aliens, wounded/stunned recruits on board the ship when aborting are saved/collected.
  • Mission successful, no one dies: all (not destroyed) loot/corpses are collected, and any fired-off ammo is subtracted from your stores (I have no idea how this has been implemented for the ammo: is it an exact count? or only half-empty magazines are lost?)
  • Mission successful, some recruits died: 'a standard end of mission' screen shows you the loot/corpses/artifacts/live aliens you collected, and anyone not dead is saved. However, all dead recruits guns/ammo which have not been deliberately picked up by another recruit during the mission is lost.

This last scenario is what I would like to discuss. So if we are to believe a clean-up crew sweeps the site after a successful mission (or even if the last recruit(s) does it) and collects all the not-blown-up (not destroyed) artifacts, ammo, and corpses, why won't they also grab any X-com guns/ammo/equipment?

Of course, bodies and guns/ammo that get blown up/blown away shouldn't be available to retrieve, and in fact, I love that about the game. How many times have you thrown a grenade near a stunned recruit (who you thought was dead) only to accidentally finish them off? OOPS! By the way, whoever created the new zzZ icon over stunned bodies is a genius/superhuman.

But for those piles of X-com loot scattered throughout the site (sometimes easily spotted because they are marked with a dead human being), can't we recover those? Perhaps the half-used magazines could be ignored, or a percentage of items could be considered 'lost' because the clean-up crew won't spend hours looking for e.g. a single primed proximity mine (better to let a civilian child find it).

So I guess you understand what I am asking about: why doesn't the 'clean-up crew' collect all (or most) of the remaining X-com equipment after the missions?

I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I can't tell you how many chemical flares I have picked up off the ground during the last few turns when I know the mission will be a success. It's pathetic, I know. But I have also run out and fetched sonic cannons from nearby dead aliens just before aborting a mission just to try to pay the next meat shield's salary for a few months. Here's to all the X-Com penny pincher's out there!  8)

I would love to hear people's thoughts about this. :)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dead soldier weapons are not recovered if mission is successful
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:16 pm »
The dead soldier equipment IS recovered. I would check with your specific version or other mods for bugs.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:01:14 pm »
Thanks for the compliment about the Zzz icon.

Anyway, dead soldiers' equipment should be recovered normally.

If it is not for you, please specify exact version of OpenXcom you are using, exact mod(s) you are using and (if you can) provide a save, where we can see this happening.

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
  • Your X-Com must be quite precious to you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:21:07 pm »
I see. Thanks, you two.

I will try to regenerate this condition and get back to you. :)

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:47:40 pm »
I have a similar question/bug, but the other way around recently i made soldier armor corpse recover, so what happens was i got one soldier unconsicess , at the end misson i recoverder armor corpse and soldier ! Is it bug or bad script on my part ?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:25:04 pm »
I have a similar question/bug, but the other way around recently i made soldier armor corpse recover, so what happens was i got one soldier unconsicess , at the end misson i recoverder armor corpse and soldier ! Is it bug or bad script on my part ?

check if you have battleType: 11

Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_CORPSE_ARMOR   # battle corpse item for vanilla Personal Armor
    name: STR_CORPSE
    weight: 24
    bigSprite: 28
    floorSprite: 40
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3
    armor: 30
    recover: true            # you probably changed this from false to true
    battleType: 11           # ...but you didn't specify that this item is a corpse (battle type 11)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:34:51 pm »
May my past mistakes (see above) be a lesson to you all :)

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 12:23:20 am »
check if you have battleType: 11

Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_CORPSE_ARMOR   # battle corpse item for vanilla Personal Armor
    name: STR_CORPSE
    weight: 24
    bigSprite: 28
    floorSprite: 40
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3
    armor: 30
    recover: true            # you probably changed this from false to true
    battleType: 11           # ...but you didn't specify that this item is a corpse (battle type 11)

thks, i guess it´s that since i assign no battletype , sorry for the offhand topic divert