Author Topic: Melee reactions (bug?)  (Read 2650 times)

Offline BenKirbyTennyson

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Melee reactions (bug?)
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:54:57 pm »
Heya,

I have run into a situation in vanilla, where I am reaction-attacked by a Chryssalid.
The Ufopaedia states that "Units react using Snap Shot ONLY", which would rule out melee attacks, no?
Don't know if this is intended behavior or not.
I have uploaded a savegame here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Xl5JE1XhZtUB_6JROsoBC_QFX1KGEsfg?usp=sharing
Just go down the elevator with the unit that is active as soon as the game is loaded and it will be killed by a melee attack.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Melee reactions (bug?)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:01:53 pm »
Same happens with reapers. I think, that's intentional.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:58:39 pm »
Intended behavior.  The snap shot rule only applies for ranged weapons, and OpenXcom has improved melee behavior including reactions.

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:11:38 am »
In addition to melee reactions, other non-vanilla behaviour I've noticed is that terror units with arcing weapons will reaction fire even though traditionally they could not react. Aliens carrying blaster launchers/DPL launchers will also fire at point blank range, so you can no longer rely on their sense of self preservation as a last ditch effort to saving yourself.

I'm guessing these were a deliberate design choice. However I do feel these need to be toggle-able in the options like many of the other introduced features.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:33:39 am »
I'm guessing these were a deliberate design choice.

It was. The original game does not allow melee and arcing reaction shots, but OXC does allow them.