Author Topic: Mission Scripting  (Read 22966 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Scripting
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2018, 10:11:56 pm »
The "deck" lasts for approximately 2 years, give or take a few months.

With the average vanilla playthrough being 6 to 12 months, it will work approximately as intended.
With a longer playthrough, you might want a different approach.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
PS: also please avoid necro-posting, opening a new thread is easy

No, please don't open a thread if an appropriate thread already exists... It would be duplication.
Necroposting can only be relevant to forums covering timed events, like sports.

Offline Gemeaux333

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2018, 11:11:49 pm »
So, thats my solution : I modify the values in regions.rul to have low chances of having these two missions types in seas/oceans featuring most of the funding countries (north pacific, north atlantic, indian ocean, japan sea, south china sea, mediterraneans sea) ?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2018, 11:23:17 pm »
No, please don't open a thread if an appropriate thread already exists... It would be duplication.
Necroposting can only be relevant to forums covering timed events, like sports.

The question is what is an "appropriate thread", in my opinion almost every question is unique... otherwise he would not have to ask again.
Also, opening a new thread is always a good idea IMO... after you searched the history of course and didn't find what you were looking for.
We want short threads with a clear topic, and clear answer (if the point of the thread was a question).
That way it is easier to search too.
The WORST examples on this forum are threads like "A thread for little questions" from piratez subforum and similar... I guarantee that vast majority of questions and answers from such threads are LOST forever. You cannot find them, because the forum search only shows the last match per thread. So if you're looking for example for "coelacanth" and that word is on the first page of a giant thread and the last page of that same giant thread, the search only ever shows you the last page... even though the question you were looking for might have been in the first page.

And I could continue naming dozens of other reasons why opening a new thread is a better idea... not kidding.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2018, 02:00:09 am »
So, thats my solution : I modify the values in regions.rul to have low chances of having these two missions types in seas/oceans featuring most of the funding countries (north pacific, north atlantic, indian ocean, japan sea, south china sea, mediterraneans sea) ?

Theoretically, yes.

In practice, RNG can mess up your plans. If you halve the values (25 to 12, etc.) assigned to Base and Infiltration missions, you can still get those missions repeatedly during the first months, if you're unlucky. And the more you reduce the values, the bigger the risk that you'll only get those missions after a certain time in the game, depending on the duration of your campaign.

Now, it feels to me that your issue is more related to the need of being prepared to assault alien colonies with the right tech (ion armor, sonic weapons) because of the the negative score generated by the colonies. If that's the case, there might a better solution, namely reducing the amount of negative score generated by each base (it's -5 points day for each base) and allowing you to postpone colony assaults until you're ready for them.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 01:15:38 am »
The question is what is an "appropriate thread", in my opinion almost every question is unique... otherwise he would not have to ask again.
Also, opening a new thread is always a good idea IMO... after you searched the history of course and didn't find what you were looking for.
We want short threads with a clear topic, and clear answer (if the point of the thread was a question).
That way it is easier to search too.
The WORST examples on this forum are threads like "A thread for little questions" from piratez subforum and similar... I guarantee that vast majority of questions and answers from such threads are LOST forever. You cannot find them, because the forum search only shows the last match per thread. So if you're looking for example for "coelacanth" and that word is on the first page of a giant thread and the last page of that same giant thread, the search only ever shows you the last page... even though the question you were looking for might have been in the first page.

And I could continue naming dozens of other reasons why opening a new thread is a better idea... not kidding.

Yes, I should have been clearer: my advice/request was to not open another thread which is about exactly the same thing as an existing one. Otherwise we end up with the same question being answered over and over, and general chaos...
And I absolutely agree with what you proposed (search first, open thread later).