aliens

Author Topic: Alien Species Triggers?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline iamchairs

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Alien Species Triggers?
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:47:37 pm »
I am trying to stall lobstermen as long as possible and have done some tests to try to figure out how and when they are triggered. I've had some games where I get lobstermen on the 8th mission or a lobsterman base invasion very early on. I've tried letting ships go, getting poor ratings, and avoiding certain techs thinking they may trigger lobstermen. My current play through I've been able to sit in Hillman limbo, only using gas weapons and other human tech while I work to ion armor. It was looking successful until I researched Ion Beam Accelerators when the next mission was a lobsterman terror mission. I'm not confident this is it though.

So what is the logic for when lobstermen appear? Is it a certain tech? Time? Score? Or random?

I'm on veteran difficulty and my last progress report was "Excellent"

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Species Triggers?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 02:39:05 am »
The standard game uses a schedule that dictates when the different races may start to appear and what mission types they will go on. Unfortunately you cannot stall them by holding off on research.

See: 

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Alien_Appearance_Ratios_(TFTD)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Species Triggers?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:20:54 am »
Missions are delayed when you shoot down their craft, however this can also trigger retaliation missions, although those, too, can be delayed. As I currently understand it, missions are often run over weeks or even months, frequently having multiple days between one wave and the next. When you shoot down a craft (or probably also if you assault the craft on the ground and take it out), you add as much as a week to the mission before the next wave can appear. You should be able to delay lobstermen's prominence in the game by shooting down their craft, but that will also put you at risk of getting a base assault by lobstermen. If you research a navigator and build a transmission resolver as fast as possible, you can get better control, allowing you to actively choose how you wish to deal with lobstermen rather than leaving it up to chance. Also, having a transmission resolver gives your base a potentially strong defense: you will spot retaliation scouts very quickly, you'll know they are on a retaliation mission, and you can shoot them down as soon as they show up. If you stay on top of the scouts, you drastically reduce your chances of being detected. You can get the best chances of avoiding lobstermen by shooting down terror mission and retaliation mission scouts, and letting as much as possible on other missions get through. Also, if you shoot down all infiltration ships that aren't lobstermen but ignore those that are, you're still reducing infiltration rates while avoiding starting lobsterman retaliation missions.

So in the end, if you need to stay away from lobstermen, I'd recommend getting the Transmission Resolver as early in the game as possible. But also, it can be helpful to learn how to kill them. I'm no expert on it but I know they can be stunned with thermal tazers and you can blow up the stunned lobsterman with a grenade, also there's probably a way to unlock vibroblades sooner if you know how to go for them.