Author Topic: Small hangars for small craft (like cars/vans)  (Read 4316 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Small hangars for small craft (like cars/vans)
« on: December 22, 2017, 12:08:37 am »
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5890.msg90688.html#msg90688

It's possible to make 1x1 hangars, but the main problem is that the game is only designed to handle one type of hangar at once. I want to submit a proposal to add additional hangar functionalities to OXCE or OXCE+ so that it would be possible, nay, easy to make a mod that gives the player a choice between 1x1 hangars for small craft, or 2x2 hangars for any craft. But I thought if I can convince Solarius Scorch that it's a good idea, maybe my proposal would hold more weight.

It seems like a perfectly good thing to add to The X-Com Files. For much of the game, the player is using very small vehicles that shouldn't require so much space in your base, and it would be immensely liberating if you could have a larger number of these tiny and vulnerable vehicles all while using up fewer tiles in the base.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Small hangars for small craft (like cars/vans)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 12:25:25 am »
If we could have two hangar types, then sure. :)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.8: X-Cool
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:27:44 pm »
Not wanting to necro this thread (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5893.msg90765.html), or derail the XCF main thread too much, but was there any progress in convincing TPTB (e.g., Meridian et al) about having smaller hangars or multiple small craft on a single normal hangar?

Currently, if I'm not mistaken, any facility of any size can host any number of crafts (default is 1), but the size can result into unrealistic fits.

The goal is for XCF, cars and other small craft can fit into small 1x1 garages (or multiples in one single large 2x2 hangar). Very large crafts (like the Conqueror of Piratez) may require their own docking facility (3x3?). Even a special facility with unmanned tiny crafts (like missiles?) can be also used to hit long range crafts.

Ideas:
- Vanilla is the same, obviously. Hangar facility hosts one default craft.
- Vanilla would assign all Vanilla craft to the default type.
- A ruleset block indicates the types of craft a mod would have. Examples: Normal, Small, Tiny, Big, Huge. [N,S,T,B,H]
- Type would also include some other minor variables for cosmetic reasons. Such as to display the craft within a facility size (1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4?).
- Per facility, a line would include which types and how many of each type can be included (all of one type OR all of the other type). Examples:
  - Hangar (2x2): [1,1,1,1,1] (Vanilla)
  - Hangar (2x2): [1,4,8,1,0] (mod)
  - Hangar (3x3): [0,0,0,1,1] (mod)
  - Garage (1x1): [0,4,8,0,0] (mod)
- Of course manufacturing, buying and transporting would add their own restrictions.

Of course, I'm not familiar with the code, so, maybe I'm asking for the moon or something.

(At Solarius, please move it to a new thread if it applies).

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Small hangars for small craft (like cars/vans)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 04:58:58 am »
[WIP] [Suggestion] [Feedback] Make more than one hangar size possible

Thanks, I did a quick search and lots of messages popped up, but not this one. I was sure the question has been posted multiple times before.