aliens

Author Topic: help needed  (Read 3082 times)

Hyper2Snyper

help needed
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:26 pm »
I am making a mod that adds a massive amount of equipment like mines, grenades, HWPS, and a whole lot more. But I suck at making sprites that look good. I would really appreciate any help I could get.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:19:35 pm »
Congrats on setting your foot on the path of modding.

If you are looking for resources, you'd best start with downloading any big mods out there. We all steal from one another anyway, there is no shame in that. :) Just give credits please.

Also, I personally think it would be better to start with something small, like a new weapon or research topic. But it's your party. :)

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:34:45 pm »
I have done all of that. Ive learned from area 51 and have made small mods for myself I just would like really cool sprites. so yeah :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
I have done all of that. Ive learned from area 51 and have made small mods for myself I just would like really cool sprites. so yeah :)

Unfortunately really cool sprites don't grow on trees. People making sprites usually have their own projects. I'm not saying you won't find anyone willing to help, but I wouldn't count on that too much. Better prepare for making your own sprites; sure they won't look good at first, but that's what every single spritemaker had to go through.

What kind of sprites are you looking for? Maybe something like that exists already?

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:08:39 pm »
ok, good point. ill get to work

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 07:37:11 am »
If you want to make your own images, you should find an image editor that supports the functions of pixel editing while also respecting the palette. I use mtpaint; it's decent but gets a bit unnerving at times. Several people say photoshop works great. Some say they use gimp, however you'd have to figure out how to get it to respect the palette because when I try it, it sets it to the default and ruins the image. Aseprite might be the best tool out there for this work, but it costs money. It's a dedicated pixel editor with many functions for exactly this kind of work, and it's rated really high among users or so I hear.

Once you have a decent pixel editor, you can set out sketching designs, trying your hand at pixel editing, making tweaks to existing work, or perhaps trying to convert higher detail images into small pixel sprites. Whatever you do, you'll be gaining experience while also figuring out what works best for you.

If you can come up with good rough sketches, I can help you fill in some of the details, however the amount of effort I'm likely to put in is low. Still, I like a decent pixel project from time to time.

In Falko's tools there is a HWP tool that can help you make tanks. If you can figure out how it works, maybe you can teach me. I am trying to make some modifications to tank appearance. If you're interested, I'd like to collaborate with you on making some cool tank art.

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 08:42:49 am »
In Falko's tools there is a HWP tool that can help you make tanks. If you can figure out how it works, maybe you can teach me. I am trying to make some modifications to tank appearance. If you're interested, I'd like to collaborate with you on making some cool tank art.
ok that would be great