aliens

Author Topic: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!  (Read 310679 times)

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!
« Reply #660 on: November 05, 2020, 07:36:21 pm »
Well, there is a bardiche :)

Actually it's not unlocked along the basic research as happens with the pike, it should ba avaiable when "privitive weapins" topic is completed, i think

Offline dogwaffles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 07, 2020, 06:52:58 am »
stuff I'd like to see in this mod:
  - more master-crafted weapons, and upgrades for those that exist (commando rifle +), special ammo types for those weapons (emp, stun, electrical, bio, mind, ...) -master-crafted weapon parts are hard to come by, and losing them or their products is hardly game-breaking...
  - more freighter-type raids for rare parts. this is done well with gold freighters. right now i'm bottlenecked by magischen motors, which could be a good start for raiding to thrive.

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 07, 2020, 06:50:41 pm »
stuff I'd like to see in this mod:
  - more master-crafted weapons, and upgrades for those that exist (commando rifle +), special ammo types for those weapons (emp, stun, electrical, bio, mind, ...) -master-crafted weapon parts are hard to come by, and losing them or their products is hardly game-breaking...
  - more freighter-type raids for rare parts. this is done well with gold freighters. right now i'm bottlenecked by magischen motors, which could be a good start for raiding to thrive.

Agree on that, plus some differences between halberd and pollaxe, if might be of some inspiration, here

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 09, 2020, 03:19:36 am »
Here's the Skull Strider (Feel free to name it whatever) animation sheet. Tested, no real visual artifacts. As this was based on a Lokk armor, it uses the close-to-ground weapon positioning. Will do the misc. images soon. Still not sure where does this fit on a tech tree, maybe based on a heavy Technocracy bot. Would be easy to make an enemy version by replacing the main body with something more conventional that looks like Gort.

Pedia text should probably address the looks. Something like "FITTING THIS ARMORED BEHEMOTH INTO AN INFANTRY TRANSPORT REQUIRED COMPROMISES ON HUMANOID FEATURES SUCH AS AN ACTUAL HEAD. LOKK'NAAR PILOTS INSISTED IT STILL NEEDED AN INTIMIDATING FACE, SO WE DID WHAT WE COULD." Again, just suggestions.

Got a lot of sprite materials to work with to make more armors for other soldier types, probably with matching skeletal/pirate regalia look but different and unconventional roles. After a tanky Lokk, how about a support Syn, firepower peasant or speedy SS? Might take a stab at a vehicle, if I could figure a nice way to split it into tiles and back without much room for error.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:25:36 am by EryliaStarheart »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #664 on: November 09, 2020, 07:23:29 pm »
Really nice! I'm going to add it for sure once you make the misc. images (mainly paperdoll). I will probably also add the eyes to this :)
Main issue with armors is these races who are common but have very little options - like bugeyes, gnomes (Syns have a lot of them for their rarity). Peasants and SS are less pressing, but more options is always better (best example is how many I made for the gals, lol).

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 11, 2020, 07:06:20 am »
In retrospect, I think I -can- make the goofy eyes work.

Going to do the corpse item now. Once I'm done with everything, will send the entire package with updates.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #666 on: November 11, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »
Very nice picture! Could you however make the teeth a more dominant feature? Ofc as an alternative. This one looks more dwarven than goblin :)

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 12, 2020, 10:10:39 pm »
I didn't say it was released, I said it was fixed.
It will be released with the next OXCE version.
The waiting is killin me. Thanks for fixing it! :)

I'm bringing it up because there's another oddity related to two drop-down boxes in the same production screen. Hoping maybe you could fix 2 things with 1 stroke before the next update deploys. Here's the thing: let's say you select a category on the left (Supplies: OK) then narrow it further with the right box - everything is super duper. But the other way around (right, then left) resets the damn right-drop down box. It shares unwanted behavior of resetting itself to "All Items" with MMB press, by using slightly different procedure this time. Could you also make it so the right box stays on selected category too, in this case too?
Usually right box is enough to make a decision so it's a proffered method, then further narrowing with the left if needed (more common as list grows larger). From experience using left first just leads into click-fests so I don't rely on that order.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 12, 2020, 10:54:20 pm »
Could you also make it so the right box stays on selected category too, in this case too?

Not really.

The right box is refreshed when the left box changes.
The category you have selected might not even be available in the right box anymore.

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 13, 2020, 06:46:12 am »
There, fixed the requested parts. Seemingly done with this one - but feel free to contact if you feel adjustments are needed, or change the sprites yourself as you wish. I'll contribute more stuff as time permits; how about a heavy HK enemy bot that's supposed to be research prerequisite to this thing? Also got ideas for more exotic armor for rare soldier types. For example, bugeye suit inspired by protoss zealot / covenant elite / turian armor from ME.

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 13, 2020, 11:29:45 am »
#EryliaStarheart: ggreat wotk, thanks!! For the anime fans, how about some ideas on the underrated "saber Raiders"? Here is the tv theme.

Sidenote: having whatched here and here wownder it it was some kind of source for the power rangers.

Edit: oh, what about a mini blunderbuss? Gals might devise it in initial research as infiltration weapon
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:49:38 pm by gijoe »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #671 on: November 14, 2020, 07:02:15 pm »
There, fixed the requested parts. Seemingly done with this one - but feel free to contact if you feel adjustments are needed, or change the sprites yourself as you wish. I'll contribute more stuff as time permits; how about a heavy HK enemy bot that's supposed to be research prerequisite to this thing?

Well new enemies are much harder to integrate than new armors, since new enemies needs new missions to appear with; so I cannot guarantee it in any way, unless you had a good case/idea for a mission that can advance or enrich one of the existing arcs. But I already have a pretty good idea where to place the striders on the tech tree :)

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 15, 2020, 06:42:12 pm »
Understandable. Alright then, hope you figure out a place for a space wizard (probably bug or peasant) power armor because that's coming along fairly well ;-)

And as of enemies, I've been wondering what do you consider in need of update the most. I'd say the Star Gods themselves are pretty barren asset-wise. I get that their schtick is being ascetic and outwardly unimposing, but there are ample good quality sprites of menacing hood-and-cloak figures out there and I can fairly easily rework them into something consistent with but distinct from default ethereal.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 16, 2020, 01:28:49 pm »
Technocracy lacks any enemies, basically I can't remember any but Terminators.
It would be nice to see some cyborgs to fight with and as a shamefull self-ad, I got few sprite-sheets ready, with paperdolls that probably require a small bit of polish.

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 16, 2020, 04:40:25 pm »
What would be nice might be to have some more diverging paths in the research along the game, for instance picking between the deminuc essence/powers and ultratech stuff, but might need a revision of the research tree,  example here: