Author Topic: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!  (Read 304640 times)

xcomfan

Re: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!
« Reply #630 on: September 05, 2020, 07:44:11 pm »
Ok, in the meantime i get to that, an idea for a new mission may be an academy convoy assault,  a variation of scientific experiments mission, where gals intercept a couple of academy ambulances during a raid on a mutant village so it should be set in next to some buildings.

Should be an early mission too like the experiments one, no needed research to unlock it, though It's a primitive idea, might be worth to develop it...?

To complicate matters, expedition could not go on land, once logisc is researched a new type of vessel may become avaiable: ancien' boat! Of course to make sense should required by  missions set in the ocean like boat assault, similar to cruiser terror sites in TFTD, but this gomna like take a load of time to implement, just saying..

And in the end, a must have might be some pirate-themed music, or even metal inspired  8)

Trivia: 1984's c64 game aquanaut featured drunken sailor as soundtrack
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 08:02:00 pm by xcomfan »

Offline Interdictor

• Sergeant
  • AC-Incendiary! Let autocannon burn again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 24, 2020, 05:00:17 am »
Militia has exp gain if I remember correctly. Maid outfit for peasants just waits for you to sprite it.

Done as said. Posted here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8598.0.html

xcomfan

« Reply #632 on: October 08, 2020, 12:45:58 pm »
I'd like to see some kind of mission demolition derby alike where only vehicles are allowed, and the goal is to destory the enemy! probably might be even possible, by giving a vehicle a type of melee attack aimed at the purpose, i don't know...

Also, along with "birdshot" anouthe type of shotgun ammo may added, "buckshot" (a standard sprite of shell painted blue and red instead red only) that is more powerful that shell itselft...but tuhe former might need to be weakened..

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #633 on: October 08, 2020, 12:47:31 pm »
I'd like to see some kind of mission demolition derby alike where only vehicles are allowed, and the goal is to destory the enemy!

Actually, this is a fun idea and it seems to fit the design.

xcomfan

« Reply #634 on: October 08, 2020, 01:35:16 pm »
Actually, this is a fun idea and it seems to fit the design.

yes, might be funny  :D pheraphs more of a Jack bounty misison? i forgot to mention: the LASS seems to be more powerfull than the panzerfaust, should n't be the other way round? The second is more ancient than the first, at least so i though might be able to destroy a tank, accordin to what i experienced in a previous run in the "sitzkrieg" mission two shots may get the job done... while panzerfaust three...if so the faust should be  less expensive and more common over the LASS...well i don't know again.  :-\

In the mid game when the gal are well enstabilished a a "crime force" the "infested cellar" seems to lose its sense, maybe it might be replace and disabled by another mission unlocked by some research/player choices

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 08, 2020, 03:24:24 pm »
LASS is kinda more powerful in a way, it has less raw power by 60, but the panzerfaust has a rather steep damage dropoff of 30 per tile. This means the lass is a bit more reliable on average then the panzer. A low damage roll can often mean that the panzer's additional hits against 2x2 units fail to penetrate since 2 suffer -30 and the last -60.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 23, 2020, 03:15:35 pm »
I'm just around 1.5% in according to research progress but already have a few I'd like to suggest:
  • Cut-Paste Pilots/Soldiers/Equipment from one craft to another. Not templates but literal Ctrl-X -> Ctrl-P. Warning message stopping the process in case of less storage space in destination. Same could be done with Craft Weapons (separate paste). Or is this already possible using template manipulation? Please ELI5 it to me. Even though classic clipboard mechanic would go a long way.
  • Complete Bootypedia overview of clutter in selling screen. Not all items open BP when inspected with MMB, making comparison and deciding what to keep or sell very tedious by having to exit all and go directly to BP and then come back. Often. Many items lead to Research tree which isn't helpful. Am I missing something or using it wrong perhaps?
  • Back/Forward buttons in Tech Tree Viewer section. With anything but smallest list of dependencies it quickly becomes hard to remember where you were 2 steps ago.
  • Adding current NV toggle setting into save file, but let it reset when starting a new battle. Currently possible to force via NV threshold setting but it's not ideal. Forget this if it can't be done without breaking existing save compatibility.
There, only that (for now) :)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 23, 2020, 03:23:20 pm »
1. no
2. ctrl + MMB
3. no
4. maybe

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 23, 2020, 05:17:23 pm »
5. Mouse wheel activation over category drop-down menus. There's plenty of them all over the place. Simple cursor hover would enable wheel to scroll through them (without additional scroll bar). For convenience sake, as addition to existing click&select method.

Thanks for #2, it helps greatly. But now I have more suggestions about just that.
With plain MMB it's seemingly random if it goes to BP or TT (tech tree), depending on item. At least I can't make any sense outta the rule. Wouldn't it be more useful if it goes BP by default in all cases except if it isn't researched yet. If TT comes up it'd be easy to tell what to prioritize. As a newbie the most important part in Fence section is figuring out what is crap and what is worth to keep quickly and since done often reducing clicks is of high interest. Seems beneficial to put extra CTRL requirement exclusively on forcing TT even if BP entry exists (already researched). TT, for me aka newbie, is far less used option in Fence screen. If there is a reasoning behind how it currently works, I suggest making user option between how MMB and Ctrl+MMB behave (BP or TT).

Also Fuso Knives and Cattle Prod (not yet researched) for example are completely unresponsive to either method. Because they're bought items only? Still, I don't get it. TT would be useful if working as described above.

Thanks fer your time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:01:13 pm by Nilex »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 23, 2020, 06:40:27 pm »
5. no

Thanks for #2, it helps greatly. But now I have more suggestions about just that.
With plain MMB it's seemingly random if it goes to BP or TT (tech tree), depending on item. At least I can't make any sense outta the rule. Wouldn't it be more useful if it goes BP by default in all cases except if it isn't researched yet. If TT comes up it'd be easy to tell what to prioritize. As a newbie the most important part in Fence section is figuring out what is crap and what is worth to keep quickly and since done often reducing clicks is of high interest. Seems beneficial to put extra CTRL requirement exclusively on forcing TT even if BP entry exists (already researched). TT, for me aka newbie, is far less used option in Fence screen. If there is a reasoning behind how it currently works, I suggest making user option between how MMB and Ctrl+MMB behave (BP or TT).

How it works:
Code: [Select]
if (TT topic exists AND NOT ctrl_Is_Pressed)
{
  show TT
}
else
{
 show BP
}

I don't like it either.

Reason is: first there was only TT and no problem... then people wanted BP too and there was a big discussion and a million opinions and the current solution won, against my opinion.

PS: to figure out whether to keep something or not, you don't need TT or BP in my opinion.... you need to know whether it will be used for any manufacturing in the future or not (which you can get by R-click)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:47:43 pm by Meridian »

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 23, 2020, 08:05:01 pm »
Yeah, people and their opinions... Don't have to tell you about it :)

R-click is good but not fool-proof because it doesn't show research dependencies (probably rightfully so: clutter extravaganza). In extreme case like Krazy Hanna path, Light Machinegun is a valid sell despite apparently being a research bottleneck (according to extensive The Newbie Guide a user made here). Not that I'd sell unresearched item but still, being the organizational maniac that I am, R-click isn't all that convincing.

Will make do with what I have, no probs!

xcomfan

« Reply #641 on: October 23, 2020, 10:09:45 pm »
and what about some 1980' flash gordon movie hardware? and vessels? or if you like the 1936 style...de gustibus!! :P

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 24, 2020, 09:12:31 pm »
Tracking of real-world time spent per playthrough, similarly to Steam. Maybe adding a line just bellow pirating career tracker in Chronicles screen. Since mod is colossal in size it would be a cool piece of info, to compare with other huge time sinks or just for bragging rights.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 24, 2020, 09:28:24 pm »
Not sure if this is what you meant, but there already is a known workaround for tracking you time through steam. See:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8049.msg125104.html#msg125104
or
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1609.msg14847.html#msg14847

If you want openxcom to track time spend per mod play-through it would involve storing a time counter variable in the save files. That requires implementation in the engine, not the mod.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 30, 2020, 03:29:58 am »
@R1dO
Thanks bro, but it's too much of a workaround. It'd fekk regular game play-times. I knew about the technique but it really is barbaric. Wish Steam was more open about their game launching procedure so we could intercept it. Their support shut me down immediately (probs a bot) and no one on Internetz knows the details afaik. Even if I'd work it out it would still remain undesirable solution I'm afraid.

Anyhow here are couple new wishes. One a shower thought, the other to remove an annoyance of the Nth degree.

What do you say about Armored Vaults also having 5 prisoner space built-in? It would help a tiny bit dealing with early influx of prisoners, without having to build another Prison. Base space quickly becomes a luxury commodity anyway so any extra square is like a drop of water on your hand you must preserve. Logic/Lore wise it seems plausible to makeshift a tiny secure room in there, it's armored kind after all. Plus it would make decision to sell AV in favor of 2nd extra early Brainer a bit more difficult. Dunno how it fits in the grand scheme of things though as I only made it to 6% so far. Maybe extra worker space AV provides would decrease by amount of prisoners you let in.

The (mega) annoying part is specific case in manufacture screen. Specific but frequently used. By default when you scroll down and MMB an item somewhere in the middle of a huge list, then AYE yourself out - list remains scrolled where you left it. BUT if you do that after changing CATEGORY drop-down, scroll down to inspect and exit - you will lose some hair every time as it puts you back into "All Items" listing while of course resting the darn scroll position as sugar on top. Can it be made to it remembers scroll position for selected CATEGORY, at least until you exit production screen? I see that when it throws you back, All Items list is moved by same amount of lines you scrolled in specific category. May be worth a look.