26 (16%)
Grey
68 (42%)
Gold
21 (13%)
None - they are all equal.
18 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Codex Popularity Poll  (Read 108266 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Codex Popularity Poll
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:04:53 pm »
There are many strong opinions about which Codex is the most broken. Very different opinions!

So let's vote on the issue here and now! Select your favourite Codex, and maybe leave a comment too. It's mostly for fun, but could also be useful feedback for Dioxine.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Popularity Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:20:58 pm »
Grey.  I like the shadowbat, the launcher, and the ghost  ;D. Util know I always reset the game finishing the second year, so I don' t know well any of the codex, but until now, grey has been my favorite one. Second place for gold, those early space suits suit well :). Red and green are just meh, I have to play to them to have a more informed opinion.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:23:20 pm »
I like the gold codex, it strikes the nice balance between everything: you get MC and ghosts from illusion, best medikit in the game (in saviour suit) and bio suit from communion, and fairies from excess, plus magnificent early-game bonuses: flame cannon (115 damage, and you basically loot the ammo from the ships you down) plus ability to buy a craft that can both hold it and is very fast. Also, turtle, a big transport with doors. Once turtle, always turtle.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:43:21 pm »
I prefer gold, though I should qualify that I'm basing that off my experience from back when you only got two schools.  I found  the fairy and ghost suits to be spectacularly useful, and the witch suit was extremely helpful against the mercenaries.  The space suits were also nice.  I've only played one game with the new three school codices and I decided to try grey.  I got a lot of use out of the jellyfish and the witch and ghost outfits were as useful as ever.  However, I missed having the fairy to stun through walls.  I also never got to try most of the red codex stuff due to rare dark one spawns and hit a tech bottleneck that kept me from the sorceress outfit.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:51:10 pm »
Grey due to Ghosts and the Menace class being very flexible(all environment+1 of each weapon slot). Other are still good but grey is that extra bit better in more situations. So grey is the 10/10, rest are 9/10.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:04 pm »
I go for Grey and early in-build Jellyfish magic cannon. Have no experience with Voodoo and later parts of the game so far, so I will not spoil the poll with my vote.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
Grey is quite special as it offers great things to use outside of the battlescape. Besides the battleflag for battlescape the whole 'drill reward' is for the geoscape.
For a research boost and potencial rush for voodoo-topic you'll be stuck with nothing awesome for geoscape to use.

Jellyfish is a neat vessel to have, since the early source of plasma allows to snipe everything with a clear path to it and a way to break heavy armor like those of megapol enforcers.
On the same note, it's a risky ship to use since you've no protection against enemies standing underneath the lifts and taking clean shots on your gals. With 1 hooked up you only have 6 hands able to move free and the 'hooked' one is out of rounds after 7 shots and in worst case can't contribute further if the vessel has spawned in the buttom right.

Voted red, because Red Scorpion is sweet. Free guns and armors for battlescape and access to bio-suits. Also new moloch armor featuring the new 'personal shield' thingy. Way to boost the value of fullplate mails. Completely skipped fullplates in my current run so far and simply using heavy suits and the new mammoth-chainguns to farm money during the Tier 2 area (past the topic 'back to school')

I'm in August 2502 and taking my time to get the whole research done until 'School Graduation' has to be researched last. I'm feeling like the game doesn't get alot harder on 'Black Beard' until I trigger the next tier with 'School Graduation'. Also 4x lasgatling cannon parts from smuggler ship x3

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:34:24 am »
No idea, I just pick whatever sounds vaguely useful at the time.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 03:02:39 am »
I like Gold I believe it is, because of the uniform. xD

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 03:19:08 am »
I think that the Green Codex is really good for how flexible it is:

Miss getting the Reticulant missions or base? Try and nab some demons and get destruction weapons like the Hellgun.
No demons? Start targeting the church and get the Fairy outfit for that awesome Lucky Star stunning damage.
Does the Church seem to not pop up too often? Wait for the Reticulants to show up and aim for that Bio/Saviour suit, then work on that Pestulator Armor.

Basically, unless you're REALLY unlucky, you can nab some awesome stuff with the Green Codex. The only thing it is lacking is Mind Controlling power. But you still get to flex your Voodoo muscles with the demonic weaponry.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 04:12:43 pm »
We need more votes!

Make Codexes great again!

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 08:59:33 pm »
Whilst gold is my favourite, my vote for the strongest codex goes to grey.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 10:45:55 pm »
In my current play I need to decide which codex to choose.
I dont have much experience with mid and late game because I was restarting everytime Dioxine realesed new version.
From my point of view I see Codex boons like this:
1) Green - Extra Gals would be great to replace all those wounded ones. In previous versions I always had problems with wounded soldiers and limited crew size for missions. Now we get 3 extra Gals from the beginning and gameplay is much smoother. So three more Gals would be cool but lets see other options.
2) Red - Chain Armor can trivialize some early missions and I dont like to loose Gals. I always try to rush Scale Armor the get wounded, not dead Gals.
3) Gray - I had a pleasure to use Jellyfish and for my playstyle it is just fantastic with that guided in-build weapon. Extra disc are an extra chance to get Toxicgun and unlock way to Advenced Chemistry.
4) Gold - Fancy outfit and a lash. Don't see much short-term profit.

On top of that I faound extra gadgets and weapons form codexes to be obsolote because I tend to delay Codex choice and already have Boarding Guns, Advenced Medgel from enemies.
I don't have experience with Voodoo and mid and later part of the mod. Maybe someone else could describe mid-term and long-term consequences of each Codex?

PS Do you rush Codex choice?

Quote from: Ethereal_Medic
I'm in August 2502 and taking my time to get the whole research done until 'School Graduation' has to be researched last. I'm feeling like the game doesn't get alot harder on 'Black Beard' until I trigger the next tier with 'School Graduation'. Also 4x lasgatling cannon parts from smuggler ship x3

Does that mean that after every "School" project game becomes more difficult?

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 01:57:21 am »
I don't have experience with Voodoo and mid and later part of the mod. Maybe someone else could describe mid-term and long-term consequences of each Codex?
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Tiny_Drill_%28Piratez%29

In short: green is for tanks and heals, gray for top-tier mind control, gold for a master of all trades (except destruction, and other codices still do their thing better), and red for maximum destruction (imo not very useful, because we already have enough destruction).

PS Do you rush Codex choice?

I can't see why I shouldn't. Free goodies + access to better buyable craft for no price, research aside.

Does that mean that after every "School" project game becomes more difficult?

It actually becomes easier: you face the same enemies, but with better equipment\armor\etc. With Back to School tier you're already advanced enough to face most enemies without any losses, with the obvious exceptions of star gods and mercenaries and anyone toting plasma\nukes.

Offline Mechanique

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 02:12:59 pm »
Grey has it all. Sorceress is great, witch is strong, ghost is straight up OP. Fortuna, shadowbat and jellyfish are quite good crafts, and you also get all the best destruction toys and get them early.

Red looks good on paper and in early game, but really is the worst later on. Metallo and scarab don't scale into late game, Moloch < Syn, bio suits and savior outfits I don't find that useful, one is useful to only get hit with no actual accuracy to fight back properly,  the other is useless to those who don't get hit. Blood ax is nice on syns for those 5-6 per turn chainkills technically, but you actually can kill as much with electro-sword.

Gold is meh, same as grey but actually less stuff. Only useful in early game with it's 3 space suits and bravery boosting outfit for use with bravery-scaling weapons. Magical Girl is not that good, illusion equipment can do the same, but better.

Green... I don't even know the purpose of it. It's like the combination of what other codexes have, but less. Haven't tried Pestulator, though, it can be useful if it does not have the penalties of bio suit.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:14:38 pm by Mechanique »