26 (16%)
Grey
68 (42%)
Gold
21 (13%)
None - they are all equal.
18 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Codex Popularity Poll  (Read 108304 times)

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Popularity Poll
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2019, 02:58:57 pm »
Mercs are notoriously easy to MC, too, meaning you can take them on before you even get plasteel munitions, and with minimal exposure to their reaction fire, which is damn accurate. Having a merc reaction fire a mininuke into your ship isn't fun.
Once you get yourself a 70 skill, 70 power bugeye, you can MC pretty much anyone who isn't specially resistant to voodoo by giving them a dose or two of panic beforehand. Don't even think about MCing exalts, provosts, reverends, most reticulans, star gods, etc, though.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2019, 06:51:09 pm »
I can't remember, is scale mail a prerequisite for chainmail?

Yes.

niculinux

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2019, 06:56:34 pm »
Yes.

I clearly remembre i manufactured chainmail in 0.99J10 without having produced any chain mail at all, for which chitin plates are needed

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2019, 07:45:21 pm »
I clearly remembre i manufactured chainmail in 0.99J10 without having produced any chain mail at all, for which chitin plates are needed
You're prob thinking of *scalemail, which only needs chitin plates, chainmail uses superconductive rings, and you can only get it after having researched warrior armor and scalemail, me thinks.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2019, 09:24:30 pm »
Prereq for research, not for production, to clear that up.

niculinux

« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2019, 09:16:42 am »
Prereq for research, not for production, to clear that up.

Yep, sorry, my bad again  :'(

Offline XCOMJunkie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2019, 02:54:53 am »
Hello all,

It's been few versions since I fired up X-Piratez, and I wanted to know the status of the codexes and what they currently give you long-term. I've read up on the wiki, but I know it doesn't mention anything about any of the other late-game goodies like codex tank types and such. Does anyone have a write up of any of those things? I'm thinking of going Red, but can certainly be convinced to try something else for the right amount of sweet, sweet  swag! Please let me know if you know!

XCOMJunkie

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2019, 06:41:47 am »
Not much has changed over all in the codexs recently, amazon got restricted to one codex, Dragon rocket is only red now, and a few other similar minor shifts. But the major stuff is all the same, codex STC craft, final tier voodoo armor, ect

Offline XCOMJunkie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2019, 08:11:57 am »
Sweet, thanks for the update Legion! Appreciated!

misterx

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:48 pm »

Offline Warface

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2019, 07:33:33 pm »
The Fortuna goes above and below. I like a ship that can do both.

Offline JDCollie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2020, 10:05:49 am »
In the meantime to understand a bit more of codexes there is a dedicated page on bootypedia, but ut's rather not updated (by now tells at 0.99H.)
I updated some of the information for v.K3  In particular there are some new late-game facilities that are tied to codices (the Dream Library and Metagarden)

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2020, 11:25:24 pm »
Thanks to everyone who contributed to ufopaedia, even with all the info the choice wasn't easy. A big plus to balance.

Went with Grey because it's closest to what I was used to, coming from recently finished OG games. You go in with standard equipment and if you hit a snag you got a couple PSI/MC guys on standby to patch things up before it gets messy. Worked wonders in EU/TFTD. Fortuna is great overall with its 3 vastly different disembark points and 13 crew spaces (ideal for 1 extra Aux). I'm still ways off (probs a whole in-game year) until I start reaping advanced VooDoo goodies from this codex but I got my hands full as it is and don't feel like I made the wrong choice in the slightest. Until then there's always the widely common exploit outfit with undocumented features, which you'd have to beat out of me to talk about ;D

Red was second choice but I've read some advanced weapons come with attribute penalties/damage on use. Didn't feel like adding more juggling balls too already mentally straining micro management. Gray has Red codex in it so maybe I get a chance to dive in later when I feel like it. I learned I'll probably miss out on Moloch Armor which is slightly bothering me.

Gold and Green were easier to discard. Gold lacks a good ship and secondary VooDoo, while Green revolves around tactics that's incompatible to my play-style. I'm a #014 worshiper.

PS
Almost forgot, little anecdote: I neglected Codex research for over 6 in-game months, not because I wanted too but I misread manufacturing process in that it requires items which I never even heard off. Turned out those were just the benefits, rewards of production that uses 2 regular items I had since forever.
Then I though to see how far I could reach before even researching any codex (when best suited for me crystallizes) but that feel apart after I saw Cloaking Device (needed for any better ship than Shark Jetbike) is tied to codex research.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:31:21 pm by Nilex »

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2020, 04:00:56 pm »
^^ i got just - all of them, all 4  :P ;D 8)

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2021, 10:01:34 am »
Despite its unpopularity, I went with Red anyway.

My experiences:

Difficulty: Jack Sparrow

Playstyle: FLY ME CLOSER, I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD!

1. Blood Axe: Amazing weapon, I've gotten 20-enemy-in-a-turn killstreaks before with it. If it's a living enemy, and you get a bloodaxe to it, it won't be anymore. Period. Doesn't matter how many HP it has, even a Hell Baron will insta-die to this, because if it has so many HP that you won't kill it in a single strike, the TU-refill effect means that you are attacking at negative cost, so the beefier the foe, the easier it actually is to get a kill frenzy off of. It's especially brutal to High End Demons and Mercs, both are high HP enemies that have very little value alive.

2. Vampire Sword: Makes the bearer nearly totally immune to damage. Not because of its effects, but because enemies will shoot at everyone else but that guy, so you'll have to toss the sword to whoever actually took damage. Guarantees a high level of uptime because you can heal damage taken even without needing an injury, just hit someone with it. Now, it SAYS it costs morale on use...
Red was second choice but I've read some advanced weapons come with attribute penalties/damage on use.
...but it doesn't, really. High Brave makes you basically immune to the morale damage, plus when you kill somebody you gain morale anyway, so the problem solves itself, as this is a lethal weapon.

3. Moloch Armor: Eh. On paper, it's nice. Has the TU-leech effect of the Axe, and counters the stun, which in theory, combos to make the two even better. The problem: -50 TU: The -20 on the armor combined with the loss of another 30 from not having Blitz. While the armor would be otherwise great, none of this matters if you cannot get to the battle. The low TU cap also limits how much you can tank up to make it to your next victim, since you can only refill TU up to your cap. Also, it can't fly, which further penalizes its already extremely poor mobility. With the massive movement penalties on this thing, you're lucky if a gal wearing this can make it out of the dropship before the battle is over. I finish an awful lot of fights on turn 1 or 2. By the time turn 3 rolls around, it's either straight up over, or all over but for the shouting.

4. Metallo: Can absorb an amazing amount of punishment in a fight with only a few days of hangar time, good drop capacity. Probably the second best flagship after Fortuna, but only because the Metallo cannot into space, as all are too slow to function as interceptors.

5. Scarab: Deadly Superiority Fighter, but too slow to intercept anything, since most everything that can actually fight has speeds in excess of 3K, which means any interceptor with a speed lower than that is pointless unless your target is willing to be baited into chasing you (has the circle).

6. Scorpion Dropship: Good synergy with a bloodaxe rush, but don't use it to ship anything but well-armored or shielded troops, or you will instantly die as enemies spawn right next to you, sometimes facing so, so you can't move without instantly dying and you can't not move without instantly dying either. Being able to immediately introduce your axe to someone's face, though, can mean the battle starts and then ends in the same kill frenzy. Otherwise, probably the weakest link of the package.

7. Destructor Suit: Surprisingly effective as a scout, but the actual weapon is not to my taste: Too high of a firing cost, doesn't produce the effects I want, since I already have cheaper, more efficient ways to cause mass destruction at range. I'm more of a precision-oriented player, I prefer to destroy things in a directed manner.

All in all, I'm not entirely sure what other Codexes would represent a trade up from this.