26 (16%)
Grey
68 (42%)
Gold
21 (13%)
None - they are all equal.
18 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Codex Popularity Poll  (Read 108234 times)

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Popularity Poll
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2019, 12:02:03 am »
Remake it into a flying drone that explodes on death with a self destruct button. This will make it at least risky to use, especially turn 1.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2019, 12:06:05 am »
I try not to use nukes/red dragons too much but yeah, sometimes a whole map just needs to die.

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2019, 01:47:14 am »
Green gets the savior armor, IIRC, which has the best healing in the game, and I think it can fly, also. It also gets biosuits, arguably the best tanking armor in the game, and the pestulator suit, which has a special attack and is also tanky.
I think green also gets you tamed cyclopses? Cyclopses are great auxiliares since they can strip armor, boost morale and tank rockets with their face, actualy getting them can be really annoying though.

Green has pretty good immediate benefits tho, 3 extra (escaped lunatics?) gals make up for a pretty good early boost.

EDIT: I do agree that there's a large gap in general usefulness between the vessels you get with each codex, though.

Saviour armor is green and gold and it seems to require lots of luck to get (needs purple bloom's cooking recipes). Bio suit is not codex related, anyone can get it. It also requires ruby's to build which are really rare to find. In my game i found only 1 ruby so far. Cyclopes need to be captured and are very rare and very end game at which point you will have your own gals flying around in assault marine or power suits, slaves in testudos etc. Way too late and hard to get to be that useful. So far the only suit that is green only is pestulator suit which in comparison to what red and grey get through whole game is not good enough reason to go green. It also requires 3 emeralds and 90 zombie juice which is hard to get so at best you will field 1 or 2 of those suits, if at all.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2019, 12:40:37 am »
I will point out that green also is the sole codex with the crystal skull. And vamping 50% of dealt damage as TU is pretty powerful. But yes most of the green codex's benefit is either front loaded(extra lunatic class gals, charger laser, bonny's carry capacity) or very late(pestulator, cyclopses).
Fyi biosuit is codex related, grey doesn't get it. It's not everyone.

Codex choice should not be based solely on the items unique to it alone, that's a dishonest comparison. Its about the whole package. It is true there arn't many mid game items that green doesn't share with at least one other codex. But this is intentional design. Not every codex plays equally. All codexs only have a handful of unique items anyway.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2019, 01:39:13 am »
Hmmn, as I see that Codexes are now "mutually exclusive" ~ but I hope, simple editing of savegame file, and set the amount of Codexes (and that Tiny Drills) to 4 -is still working.. (and the game will not crash, at such ..."attempt' ) muhehe

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2019, 05:59:55 am »
I will point out that green also is the sole codex with the crystal skull. And vamping 50% of dealt damage as TU is pretty powerful. But yes most of the green codex's benefit is either front loaded(extra lunatic class gals, charger laser, bonny's carry capacity) or very late(pestulator, cyclopses).
Fyi biosuit is codex related, grey doesn't get it. It's not everyone.

Codex choice should not be based solely on the items unique to it alone, that's a dishonest comparison. Its about the whole package. It is true there arn't many mid game items that green doesn't share with at least one other codex. But this is intentional design. Not every codex plays equally. All codexs only have a handful of unique items anyway.

That's dishonest remark. Green codex has practically nothing useful for it. At all. I just started a new game and on my second mission i got necropirates and got 3 castaway gals as a reward. That's green codex starting bonus worth. Charger laser is by far the weakest weapon of them all. In practice it's not really that helpful and you can research or even get it as a random loot. Whole freaking package is what i'm talking about and the start offers you 3 extra gals, that you mostly can buy at that point a very short term useful craft weapon (you can easily get by with only cannons) and some medic supplies that you get just by doing missions. I don't really see anything useful early game to make me not go other codexes. Mid game green codex bonuses don't exist, at all. Have you tried using crystal skull? You need 5 emeralds and summoning circle only to build it and you will be running out of energy anyway. You are better off with vampiric sword that returns energy and hp for damage then this. Just having it in backpack doesn't help either. Green lighter and white rabbits have good TU boosts and i can apply those to anyone actually needing it.

Bio suit is NOT codex related - you can get it even if you don't choose any codex. Grey is explicitly blocked but it has enough stuff of its own to not really matter.

Late game cyclopses only show up with bigger star god's ships and when i reach the point where i can raid those ships and actually capture any cyclops i really don't need any of them. Similar thing is with pestulator suits. At last save i had 42 assault marine suits made, had enough nuclear  batteries to put all my slaves in Testudo armors and had actual tanks to back them up. I really don't see what a pestulator suit that at best i can make 1 of them would do to actually help me. It uses RUBY - ruby has much better uses then building a single suit at that point. So in summary early game is meh, mid doesn't exist and late is too late too little to matter. So, in short, i get nothing. And guess what, getting gear and research is what makes codexes useful. So yeah, what i get when i pick a codex matters. Red and grey outweigh green by far. Gold i didn't use that much so i won't speak about it.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2019, 11:43:35 pm »
I will grant that green may be currently weak in some aspects, but you are making statements to the effect that it had no benefits at all, rather then comparatively weak benefits in some circumstances. You certainly seem to think its so bad it should be removed or buffed in some heavy manner. I disagree.

Green codex is mostly intended to be the reliable "safe" choice for less adept players, which you don't sound to be. The necropirates might not spawn/land within your range, and the fight is not an easy one. Other sources of lunatic class gals might not spawn, or spawn without the gals.

The same goes for the medical supplies, they can be quite handy if mission RNG says no academy. Sometimes you can go years without a faction showing, and until you advance a decent way into the game can't you make/buy your own.

Charger laser the same thing applies, not everyone can as easily handle the transition into air game, particularly on the current patch with armed craft much delayed by contacts car thieves being locked behind getting a young uber out of a pogrom, unless you get real lucky with an air race in short distance of your initial base.

So yes, YOU dont get anything satisfying out of green codex, which seems to mean the intent was successful. Go play the other more complex/difficult codexs. And it sounds as if you have and like those better anyway.

Separate point about gems, you can buy them off jack for bounty tokens if nothing else. So can have as many as your willing to throw money at(100k per token. token trade for gems). It may be inefficient but mid to late game if you have been playing well money stops mattering as a limiter and you buyout any missing VIPs and almost all the rare components you could want.

Even if you don't trade jack for them, i rarely run out of gems anyway. They come from many types of missions; mansions, gold freighters, undersea, blood rituals, some units carry them as loot, ect. Now if you get to the later stages and stop doing those missions, well you made your own scarcity by choice. You want real scarcity lets talk shadow orbs. 

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2019, 01:35:42 am »
You seem to have some contexts badly mixed up. Having less or almost nothing from a chosen codex doesn't make it a 'safe' choice or a choice for beginners, its the opposite. Me playing this or that codex is noone's business. Your basically have no argument, you say its weak but its a good thing and i don't like it so it working as intended. Really? Did Dioxine made green codex specifically so i don't like it?
Every time you make less and less sense. This isn't about me saying this or that. This is me spending 2 months playing with green codex from version J9 to J11 and finding pretty much nothing from green codex that helped me in the campaign in any meaningful way. Did you? Do you have an ongoing late game with green codex from where to draw your conclusions? This thread is about codex popularity and why someone likes it. Green is weak, i said its weak. I chose it, i played it and so i have some basis to make that statement. What's yours? Still waiting for argument here.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2019, 05:22:42 am »
You kind of missed the point Legionof1 was making.  I could elaborate but I would only be saying the same thing he said above, and you would probably disregard it as well lol.  All I can say is that the value of the codex goodies is subjective, one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that.

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2019, 07:56:25 am »
You kind of missed the point Legionof1 was making.  I could elaborate but I would only be saying the same thing he said above, and you would probably disregard it as well lol.  All I can say is that the value of the codex goodies is subjective, one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that.

Apparently you missed my. I'm not here to get anyone's 'points' or your and his approval. I'm here after playing green codex for a long time giving MY input on it in a thread for it. Especially after completely wrong messages about green codex giving bio gel and such. I didn't come here to ask your approval or opinion or to argue with forum trolls. If you have something to say about green codex then play it first to see what it's really like in its CURRENT state or post something else related to this topic like this one some other codex YOU like to play and why. Going around with no apparent knowledge of it and thrashing someone opinion is not helping this mod, thats for sure.

So bottom line is, either do something constructive or bud out of discussion.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:58:35 am by Toothless Shark »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2019, 08:40:32 am »
I will point out that green also is the sole codex with the crystal skull.
Wrong, I got one or two from some random midgame missions while paying with Gold, even before getting my Menace class.
Green codex is mostly intended to be the reliable "safe" choice for less adept players
Same can be said about any other codex. It would probably even make more sense with Red or Gray.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2019, 09:39:19 am »
Apparently you missed my. I'm not here to get anyone's 'points' or your and his approval. I'm here after playing green codex for a long time giving MY input on it in a thread for it. Especially after completely wrong messages about green codex giving bio gel and such. I didn't come here to ask your approval or opinion or to argue with forum trolls. If you have something to say about green codex then play it first to see what it's really like in its CURRENT state or post something else related to this topic like this one some other codex YOU like to play and why. Going around with no apparent knowledge of it and thrashing someone opinion is not helping this mod, thats for sure.

So bottom line is, either do something constructive or bud out of discussion.

Dude, take a chill pill.  I get that you think green sucks, what people are trying to point out to you is that it might not necessarily suck for everyone depending on circumstances and playstyle, so no need to get all butthurt and defensive.  For the record I've played every codex plenty of times.  I only got snarky with you because you ignored some valid info so I assumed you were just stirring up drama for no reason.

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2019, 10:04:46 am »
Dude, take a chill pill.  I get that you think green sucks, what people are trying to point out to you is that it might not necessarily suck for everyone depending on circumstances and playstyle, so no need to get all butthurt and defensive.  For the record I've played every codex plenty of times.  I only got snarky with you because you ignored some valid info so I assumed you were just stirring up drama for no reason.

Which part of bud out of discussion you didn't get? Also i'm not talking to people but a single guy that keeps insisting that its ok to have a codex with nearly no content over others that have plenty more and call it a style of play. Also, both you and he (assuming its not same troll with two accounts) are not helping in ANY way to explain how to use green codex or any actually substantial info regarding the actual discussion. Maybe you should take a chill pill and not get snarky at people?

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2019, 10:47:37 am »
Which part of bud out of discussion you didn't get? Also i'm not talking to people but a single guy that keeps insisting that its ok to have a codex with nearly no content over others that have plenty more and call it a style of play. Also, both you and he (assuming its not same troll with two accounts) are not helping in ANY way to explain how to use green codex or any actually substantial info regarding the actual discussion. Maybe you should take a chill pill and not get snarky at people?

Ok trolling, got it.  I'll just ignore you now.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:29 pm »

Stop shitposting, troll. Respect the other users of the forum or leave.