aliens

Author Topic: Suggestion#1 (Free mission Picker)  (Read 3558 times)

Offline WarWeeD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Suggestion#1 (Free mission Picker)
« on: November 01, 2017, 02:32:01 am »
Hi there, first of all thx for this mod. Awsome. HAve spent many on it and i want more.
I mod others games and really appreciate your work. This is the first of 3 posts. 2 post for suggestion and the third to offer help.
Sorry about my eng, not my best lang.

Lets start the first.
I love the Ambientation and mechanics, but I think I have some suggestions to make this game little bit more "openworld" in terms of exploration.
This suggestion is about freedom and exploration, I think in the same line this mod looks at. I dont mind to participate to help.

Suggestions:1

Mission picker:
It is disgusting wait for a mission to get the items you need and got no sense. And is also disgusting to get more and more mission you should not skip.
If I need something i want to being able to look for it. For example, I would be nice if I can look for farms to raid to get apples instead of waiting for a ratman mission.
I like eventual mission as opportunitys you have to do fast, for example Gropom and help any friend under attack. But if u add more and more mission that u cant skip, its becomes so bored and repetitive.
I suggest 3 ways to make player being able to pick missions.

1-Easier Way: By research
If i want to raid a city I just research "Mission: City raid" And the mission appear will appear on map. The same system for Sea missions, organ traffic, or whatever.
So I just tell my brainers that we need to raid a farm to get appels or find an undersea place to explore, and brainers will investigate it until they got something. Got sense for me. Better than waiting to have some magical info that allow me to get some appels or raid a city of a goverment that dosnt respect my organization.
With this method you can have many more missions avaible without exausting the player. And player will not be scared to research something that give him mission that he wants not to do if not neccesary.

Rules of research mission:
-Each time you investigate a mission it appear for u on map.
-Research any other mission is not possible until you complete or fail the current mission. (brainers will not investigate another mission until his work is respected.

2-Hard Way:

Adding static events/mission. Same as ships (red cross) but this targets dosnt move and radars base dosnt see them. The only way to see this "statics missions" is to being enought close with a low-grade crafts as airbus or aircar,truck, Other craft are not made to being looking by the windows looking for a good place to raid. Instead normal red cross, it could have orange color or different.

Rules of static missions:
-Statics missions respawn with time if the mission is completed.
-Only visible if u are close enought.
-Only visible by lowgrade ships (airbus,aircar and others cars made to fly at low altitude)
-Only visible if you are not traveling to any mission.
-If u get far it become invisible until u get close again.

Example of statics events and pourpose
-Farm raid (Getting stuff for the still)
-City Raid (robb a bank, slave people, slave brainers and more)
-Millitary Base (steal tech, weapons, armors, vehicles...)
-Enemy faction Base (same as now)
-Industrial Complex (resources, tech and induatrial stuff)
-Gas station (no mission, just refill gas if u got enought money)*this got another use in another post.
-Mansions. (get money)
-Road Bar (Place to recruit or slave people)
-Unidentified encounter (Places where u notice something is happening but cant determinate what)

The third way is mixing both ways:
-Some mission by research it each time you want or need to make one. (sea missions, organ, mansions,banks,orbital raid and any other mission that needs planification and investigation)
-Other missions as statics mission only visible if u are flying close enought and will randomly respawn with time. (Farms raid, city raid, industry,Road Bars, many of them)
-Enemy bases and ship system same as it is.
This would be the best option for me.

Random Encounters
-Statics event can also be used to randomize encounters so it become less repetitive with time. If u find a farm to raid you will never know what will u find there once landed. Maybe is a normal farm, maybe is a secret entrance to a secret base, Maybe there are people already raiding the farm, or maybe the farm has been taken by hell. Only thing you know is there will be apples or anything to make alcohol.
If you choose to raid a road bar intead, there can be just normal people to slave, or maybe police is raiding it, or the army, maybe there is an strong alien who loves drinking there...

So randomize static mission allows us to add special encounter.

Rules of special encounters:
-It never happen again once you complete it.

What could be special encounters?Examples.

-Area51: if you raid a farm, there is a possibility to have an entrance to the remains of the old AREA51 (or an old xcom base), a place where u get special research and a couple alien corpses.

-Open until dawn:If you raid a "Road Tavern" there is little a chance it is full of vampires and werewolves.

-Reticulian Farm: A farm filled of unnarmed and peacefully reticulian farmers who just want settle a colony with some hoes. (if u dont kill any, you receive special stuff from them)

-Fight Club: Raiding a tavern or a city, there is a chance to find an underground place with some members of the clubs fight. (neutral guys) You can recruit or slave them as crew if you take them alive.

-Alien Vip Mansion: Who would tell you that mansion was the vacational home of a high member of the star gods. Hopefully service was mostly human.

-Bob Le Fou:(nemesis) This is an enemy that can appear on any static mission, It got no faction but madness and caos and will attack all he see with unnecessarily destructive weapons. Unfairly strong and caotic. If you run, take in mind Bob dosnt like to let anyone alive, so he will appear more frecuently until you kill him or he kill all your crew.

-7 Samurais: Special encounter in a tavern with 7 ninja gals overpowered armed with fuso swords.

-Reaper Farm: A farm where are reapers instead of cows, good encounter to get many reapers as u can.

-Raacon City: A city filles with all zombie units the game can handle with. Lot of zombies. So many that nobody will want to count them. Maybe Special zombies with no IA most of them. This is just a mission get some fun making explode lot of zombies and a entire city with them.

-Tank the Day: What a bad luck that you raid a millitary complex in the middle of a special tank´s maneuvers. good luck.

-The women´s day: There is a day on earth where in some nations women on citys are allowed to become mad and kill each thing that is not a normal women.

Well this is my suggestion about missions.

-

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Suggestion#1 (Free mission Picker)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 03:52:36 pm »
As interesting as these ideas are (and they are quite interesting), this would take serious coding skills (C++) and a major overhaul of the game engine, especially at the Geoscape level.  If you have these skills, you have a great canvas in front of you, to begin to create an amazing game experience.  Otherwise, the current implementations of X-PirateZ have stretched the boundaries of what is possible with the current game engines to the limits. 

Offline WarWeeD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:25:37 pm »
I wanst thiking about doing it by myself but maybe I would. I´ll begin to investigate the source. Is there any other interesting git shared by community?  Would be great to do it over Xpiratez source but I guest it is not avaible xD. well... who knows maybe in 10 years I got a decent version xD. Wish me luck

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:33:44 am »
The engine Source code is available on Github, in Meridian's thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html

All of the X-PirateZ "source" is in what you download to play PirateZ.  This is a combination of custom graphics for objects, enemies, etc, as well as ".rul" files that are text files that are the base of every mod.

Good luck.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 11:15:47 pm »
Such things are FAR outside of this engine and GUI are capable of. So, sorry. This is something for another game, not OXC.

Offline WarWeeD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »
thx for the reply. Maybe in future then xD