Author Topic: Cult Apprehension missions  (Read 6532 times)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
Cult Apprehension missions
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:44:08 pm »
"Cult apprehension" missions come out of the blue. It's obvious why we would go after strange animals, UFOs, places where UFOs have landed, people selling alien tech and such. But "members of an illegal organization" doesn't seem to warrant attention of paranormal investigators.

I suggest some kind of preliminary missions that give leads to the four cults. There's already a homicidal maniac mission, but that's not enough.

There can be some unusual items in storage right from the start, that lead to people involved in those organizations:
Church of Dagon: Gilldog corpse, Deep One corpse, Deep One hatchet, Deep One spear, Staff of Dagon, Staff of Heart Grip.
Red Dawn: Durathread, Storm.
Black Lotus: Flame Glove.
Exalt: Psiclone.
All 4: Alien Communicator.

Or better yet, there can be missions to capture a single man (or woman, or beast) displaying some oddities. They may unlock the "Cult Apprehension" missions or replace them entirely.

Red Dawn:
1. "A petty criminal is reported to have grown muscular and acquired super strength in a matter of days. Capture the suspect for questioning." The suspect may be a Stormy or a Red Dawn Ganger. I like the Stormy better, but guess changes to descriptions and tech tree would require more work.
2. A "Storm Seizure" mission, possibly scaled down to be beatable by 2 rookies. The description should be written with no previous knowledge of Red Dawn or Storm. Something like "Rumours abound of a wonderful drug called 'Storm' that helps grow muscular tissue. The reported effects far surpass anything known to Earth science. We have located a group of Storm users. Capture them for questioning and secure their stash."

Black Lotus:
1. "A man is reported to be able to shoot fire just with the power of his mind. Capture the suspect for questioning." A Black Lotus Follower armed with a Flame Glove.
2. "A man is reported to be able to become invisible. Capture the suspect for questioning." A Black Lotus Assassin. I haven't thought this out completely. The enemy should be: beatable by 2 rookies, challenging, able to display invisibility. Can Black Lotus Warriors become invisible? Would an assassin be a challenge if armed only with a shiv?
3. Is it possible for an enemy to disappear from the field entirely? There could be a mission where an Avatar visits a lowest follower, then the avatar leaves and the follower is captured.

Church of Dagon:
1. Starts like a regular "Strange Life Form" mission in a city, the enemy is a Gilldog. But investigating the animal or its corpse leads to people who use them as guard animals — Church of Dagon. Is it possible to give this mission higher probability than any other monster hunt?
2. "A green humanoid has been spotted. Capture him for questioning." A Deep One armed with melee weapons. Investigating his corpse or weapons unlocks Church of Dagon.

EXALT: 
1. "Rumours abound of a wonderful drug called 'Psiclone' that gets you high without consequences. What sets it apart is the police inability to approach the traders — officers experience panic attacks and occasionally report an outside force seizing control of their limbs. We have located a Psiclone addict. Capture him for questioning."
2. Something similar to "Storm Seizure" mission, but with Psiclone. "Rumours abound of a wonderful drug called 'Psiclone' that gets you high without consequences. What sets it apart is the police inability to approach the traders — officers experience panic attacks and occasionally report an outside force seizing control of their limbs. We have located a group of Psiclone users. Capture them for questioning and secure their stash."
3. Does EXALT deal in alien weapons or is this business exclusive to Osiron?

Yet another idea is that UFOs captured in January 1997 have devices to contact Alien Communicators on Earth, and it's possible to study them and track down people using Alien Communicators. I like this idea best, but if it's the only lead, failure to capture any UFOs would block the rest of the game.

UFO Communicator

The device is a short-range transceiver made of strange materials and utilizing unknown principles. So far we have only figured how to switch it on and determine coordinates of the interlocutor.

There seem to be at least 4 different groups of humans in contact with aliens: "Black Lotus", "Dagon", "Red Dawn" and "Exalt". Unfortunately, our blundering attempts to use the transceiver to locate them forced them to lay low. When we find any more leads, you will be informed.

(Misspelling is intentional.)

And the mission descriptions like: "We have located members of an organization working for aliens, the <INSERT NAME>, operating in this area. We must apprehend the suspects and capture them for questioning."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:48:41 pm by tkzv »

Offline mrKos

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Cult Apprehension missions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 03:52:19 pm »
I also do not understand how the agency tracks members of an organization that they know nothing about. We need introductory missions. Something like - "A group of conspiracy scientists was attacked."
"A group of geeks went to a place where their opinion was abnormal, and now the group receives a distress signal, it looks like they've found something." Your task is to find out what happened to the group. "
And start a mission like crop circles. For a farmer's place only, survived from this group. And the "Cult of Dagon" attacked them, because they saw how the Dagonites communicated with the Deep Ones.

About the black lotus.
"The massacre in the village."
"A message has come about a massacre in one village: your task is the investigator of the crime scene."
And, one fury survivor.

About the Cult of Dagon
They make human sacrifices. Why not the researcher the consequences of these sacrifices.
"Human sacrifices."
"A message has come about a massive human sacrifice: your task is the investigator of the crime scene."
And, one fury survivor.

More about the Cult of Dagon
Interestingly, you can make a map of the ship.
"Discovered a ghost ship"
"There was a message about the ship, from which the whole crew disappeared.Your task is a researcher ship."
And, one fury survivor. This survivor will tell you that they were attacked by cultists.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:47:34 pm by mrKos »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:51:21 pm »
These are sound ideas, but I think it might be getting too detailed. Cult apprehension missions are so absolutely trivial that there isn't much point in giving them prerequisites. (Fun fact: in early versions they didn't even exist, the game gave you Cult Activity missions straight away. But it was a bit too punishing.)
It is assumed that X-Com already knows about the cults from the Council or some other sources. After all, it was established to react to something. I guess another starting Ufopaedia page should give it a bit more transparency.

Having said that, more mission ideas are always welcome.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 01:20:22 pm »
It is assumed that X-Com already knows about the cults from the Council or some other sources. After all, it was established to react to something. I guess another starting Ufopaedia page should give it a bit more transparency.
No introduction, nothing at all. The Council may know, but they don't tell anything. "Need-to-know" and stuff like that. Until X-COM pokes its nose in another mess, it doesn't know this mess ever existed. Thus it's quite plausible to make them stumble upon a world-spanning conspiracy while rechecking weird police reports.

That said, I made a patch that replaces Black Lotus Apprehension with 2 randomly chosen missions: Pyrokinetic Apprehension and Invisible Man Apprehension. The former is Followers randomly carrying Flame Gloves, the latter is Warriors without ranged weapons. I think it also needs tweaks to research items, which I haven't done yet. If you are OK with it, I'll do the same for the other 3 missions.

Or should I post the whole *.rul files?

Update: fixed Russian translation.

--- posts merged ---

About the black lotus.
"The massacre in the village."
Why would they do it?
one fury survivor.
"Fury"? Do you mean "furious"? Not the word I'd expect here :) More likely "fearful", "frightened".

How about this: lots of bodies, one or several unconscious bleeding survivors, one last enemy in a hard to reach place, for example a dog or a Gilldog. X-COM has to use expensive medkits to stabilize them until they find the enemy and can end the mission.

I wrote about animals and thought of parrots from Piratez. How about an aggressive parrot, who has to be subdued? Researching that parrot will reveal something important it heard.

About the Cult of Dagon
They make human sacrifices. Why not the researcher the consequences of these sacrifices.
An aftermath of "Soul Harvest" mission? When the signal came too late. X-COM has to subdue the survivor in 10 turns, like the "Crop Circles" mission. Would add some welcome variety to circles/abduction/mutilation.

More about the Cult of Dagon
Interestingly, you can make a map of the ship.
"Discovered a ghost ship"
"There was a message about the ship, from which the whole crew disappeared.Your task is a researcher ship."
And, one fury survivor. This survivor will tell you that they were attacked by cultists.
Are there any ship maps available for use?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:16:05 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »
No introduction, nothing at all. The Council may know, but they don't tell anything. "Need-to-know" and stuff like that. Until X-COM pokes its nose in another mess, it doesn't know this mess ever existed. Thus it's quite plausible to make them stumble upon a world-spanning conspiracy while rechecking weird police reports.

Code: [Select]
The first issue to tackle is finding an explanation for a concurrent spike in the number of criminal organizations and religious sects noticeable on every continent. We should learn more about them, preferably by arresting their members and interrogating them. This should give us a better understanding of this social phenomenon and help us put a stop to it.Is this really not enough?

That said, I made a patch that replaces Black Lotus Apprehension with 2 randomly chosen missions: Pyrokinetic Apprehension and Invisible Man Apprehension. The former is Followers randomly carrying Flame Gloves, the latter is Warriors without ranged weapons. I think it also needs tweaks to research items, which I haven't done yet. If you are OK with it, I'll do the same for the other 3 missions.

I'm looking at the file (what format is it by the way? Looks more or less like normal YAML), but giving out items like the glove ($65000 on sale!) sounds like a very... controversial idea. Also I can't decipher from your file which rank get it, but I don't think it's a Witch, or anyone else who would even know what to do with it.

The "invisible man" sound like a fun idea though. I may be interested in adding it. Could you please present it in a format I've heard about? It might fit into one arc I plan to maybe add at some point (the "Ghostbusters" arc).

How about this: lots of bodies, one or several unconscious bleeding survivors, one last enemy in a hard to reach place, for example a dog or a Gilldog. X-COM has to use expensive medkits to stabilize them until they find the enemy and can end the mission.

An aftermath of "Soul Harvest" mission? When the signal came too late. X-COM has to subdue the survivor in 10 turns, like the "Crop Circles" mission. Would add some welcome variety to circles/abduction/mutilation.

I don't really want to add more missions for starting cults at this point... I want to focus on all the other parts of the mod. Once I have the necessary minimum for calling this mod "complete", we can play with adding more content.

I wrote about animals and thought of parrots from Piratez. How about an aggressive parrot, who has to be subdued? Researching that parrot will reveal something important it heard.

How does it differ from normal monster hunts?

Are there any ship maps available for use?

Sorry, what sort of ships? The water kind?
Well, we can adapt TFTD ships fairly easily.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »
giving out items like the glove ($65000 on sale!) sounds like a very... controversial idea.
That's the criticism I was looking for :) OK, maybe it isn't a good idea.

Also I can't decipher from your file which rank get it, but I don't think it's a Witch, or anyone else who would even know what to do with it.
Followers. That explains why none of them used it in combat. However, I did manage to make some of them shoot fire in debug mode, and considered that enough of a test.

I'm looking at the file (what format is it by the way? Looks more or less like normal YAML),
"patch". diff creates the file that lists the differences between old and new files or sets of files, including several optional lines of context; patch applies the changes to old version or rolls the new version back to old version. They've been around for decades, and are well known to open source programmers, or anybody who compiles patched versions from multiple sources.

If you are unfamiliar with them, I'll attach full files.

The first issue to tackle is finding an explanation for a concurrent spike in the number of criminal organizations and religious sects noticeable on every continent. We should learn more about them, preferably by arresting their members and interrogating them. This should give us a better understanding of this social phenomenon and help us put a stop to it.
Is this really not enough?
It feels unsatisfactory, so I kind of forget it right after I finish reading it :)

Now that I think more about it, I don't buy the agency that tackles such different tasks as organized crime, extremist religions and dangerous wildlife. Surely, those problems neatly converge to the same source, but they can't know beforehand.

Or do they? Is there some force that knows enough and nudges X-COM in the right direction, while staying completely hidden? If yes, the rest of my statements are invalid :)

So, I assumed something along the lines of the "X-Files" — an organization created to deal with weird, because something has to be done, but not expected to achieve much. The kind of weird that has always proved fake before.

If X-COM was created to deal with organized crime, surely they would get more than 2 armed operatives. Or they would be able to enlist the aid of local forces.

The "invisible man" sound like a fun idea though. I may be interested in adding it. Could you please present it in a format I've heard about? It might fit into one arc I plan to maybe add at some point (the "Ghostbusters" arc).
How do you want it? All my changes in one file that deletes the corresponding lines from your files with commands like this?
- delete: STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_BLACK_LOTUSOr modified versions of alienDeployments_XCOMFILES.rul, extraStrings_XCOMFILES.rul, alienMissions_XCOMFILES.rul, missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul, globe_XCOMFILES.rul containing only my changes? For now I'm attaching the full modified files in 7z archive.

I don't really want to add more missions for starting cults at this point... I want to focus on all the other parts of the mod. Once I have the necessary minimum for calling this mod "complete", we can play with adding more content.
It's not adding, it's replacing the old mission with what I made. If it's still too much work for you for not enough gain, OK.

How does it differ from normal monster hunts?
It's more like Crop Circles mission with the parrot being the witness. Perhaps, it would also requires a Psi Lab to get that information.

Sorry, what sort of ships? The water kind?
Well, we can adapt TFTD ships fairly easily.
Yes, something like that.

By the way, I think I found a bug in extraStrings_XCOMFILES.rul. STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_ZSRR, STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_EXALT, STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_CHURCH_OF_DAGON and STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_BLACK_LOTUS are repeated twice, with different values: "Cult Apprehension" and "Arrest the suspects". I guess those two lines should be displayed together at the start of the mission, and should be different, but right now the same lines appears 2 times: "Arrest the suspects".
For example, STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_BLACK_LOTUS is used twice in alienDeployments_XCOMFILES.rul:
once in
  - type: STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_BLACK_LOTUSand once in
    markerName: STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_BLACK_LOTUSwhich seem to be intended to differ.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 04:44:07 pm »
Followers. That explains why none of them used it in combat. However, I did manage to make some of them shoot fire in debug mode, and considered that enough of a test.
"patch". diff creates the file that lists the differences between old and new files or sets of files, including several optional lines of context; patch applies the changes to old version or rolls the new version back to old version. They've been around for decades, and are well known to open source programmers, or anybody who compiles patched versions from multiple sources.

If you are unfamiliar with them, I'll attach full files.

I definitely am unfamiliar with them.

It feels unsatisfactory, so I kind of forget it right after I finish reading it :)

You have now won the debate, congrats. :P

Now that I think more about it, I don't buy the agency that tackles such different tasks as organized crime, extremist religions and dangerous wildlife. Surely, those problems neatly converge to the same source, but they can't know beforehand.

Or do they? Is there some force that knows enough and nudges X-COM in the right direction, while staying completely hidden? If yes, the rest of my statements are invalid :)

Something like that, yes.

So, I assumed something along the lines of the "X-Files" — an organization created to deal with weird, because something has to be done, but not expected to achieve much. The kind of weird that has always proved fake before.

Sort of, yes. With some parties more interested in X-Com success than others.

If X-COM was created to deal with organized crime, surely they would get more than 2 armed operatives. Or they would be able to enlist the aid of local forces.

Well, long story short: I'm not willing to devote resources to this at the moment. I honestly think i works fine enough. We can go crazy at some later point.

By the way, I think I found a bug in extraStrings_XCOMFILES.rul. STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_ZSRR, STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_EXALT, STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_CHURCH_OF_DAGON and STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_BLACK_LOTUS are repeated twice, with different values: "Cult Apprehension" and "Arrest the suspects". I guess those two lines should be displayed together at the start of the mission, and should be different, but right now the same lines appears 2 times: "Arrest the suspects".

Right, good point. Removed the extra lines.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »
I definitely am unfamiliar with them.
You didn't answer my question about the format. I'll assume that the archive was enough.

Something like that, yes.

Sort of, yes. With some parties more interested in X-Com success than others.
Hoping to see the reveal soon :)

Right, good point. Removed the extra lines.
I though you were going to rename them. Anyway, here are several more. Some of them just repeat, some differ.
      MAP_GOLDBASE: "Ethereal Base"
      MAP_GOLDBASE: "Gold Alien Base"
      STR_CUT_THROAT: "Coup de grâce"
      STR_CUT_THROAT: "Coup de grâce"
      STR_LINE_OF_SIGHT_REQUIRED: "I can't see them!"
      STR_LINE_OF_SIGHT_REQUIRED: "Line of sight required!"
      STR_MUST_USE_BOTH_HANDS: "Offhand must be free to use this!"
      STR_MUST_USE_BOTH_HANDS: "You need both hands for this!"
      STR_NO_TRAJECTORY: "Can't make that arc!"
      STR_NO_TRAJECTORY: "No trajectory!"
      STR_RANK_NONE: "-"
      STR_RANK_NONE: "-"
      STR_TARGET_WAS_EXECUTED: "Target was executed!"
      STR_TARGET_WAS_EXECUTED: "Target was executed."
      STR_UNABLE_TO_USE_ALIEN_ARTIFACT_UNTIL_RESEARCHED: "Unable to use alien artifact until researched!"
      STR_UNABLE_TO_USE_ALIEN_ARTIFACT_UNTIL_RESEARCHED: "Unable to use the artifact until researched!"

Offline mrKos

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:46:22 pm »
My apologies, my test in the English language was a formality. :'(
About "one fury survivor." I meant the survivor, who attacks everyone. Something like a farmer in the abduction.

About "The massacre in the village."
The cult of lotus is a criminal structure like the yakuza. The village refused to pay tribute. It was slaughtered for edification to other villages.
In the map there are many corpses of civilians and one survivor.

About the Ghost Ship.
An underestimated topic.
The syndicate transported it. It broke out and devoured the crew. Destroy / capture this.
Aquatoes abduct the crew. Stop it.
Aliens are desiring a crew. Stop it.
Cyberweb transported equipment. The equipment was switched on and the crew was shot. Destroy / capture this.

About the hunt for the parrot.
Seriously? What was the offense of the poor bird? How it then interrogate? What could it remember? I really believe in the "hunt for the video." Or did I misunderstand the meaning of the word "parrot"?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 06:18:24 pm »
I meant the survivor, who attacks everyone. Something like a farmer in the abduction.
"Mad" will do, I think :)

About the Ghost Ship.
An underestimated topic.
The syndicate transported it. It broke out and devoured the crew. Destroy / capture this.
Cyberweb transported equipment. The equipment was switched on and the crew was shot. Destroy / capture this.
Ah, an entirely different set of topics. Guess, the ship not responding to hails is a ghost too.

About the hunt for the parrot.
Seriously? What was the offense of the poor bird? How it then interrogate? What could it remember? I really believe in the "hunt for the video." Or did I misunderstand the meaning of the word "parrot"?
No, it's a bird that probably saw and heard everything that happened. And it may be coaxed to repeat the sounds it heard. (Especially in less serious stories.) Add to that advanced psionics, and X-COM researchers may be able to read the images directly from its brain. The problem is catching the bird in limited time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:09:35 pm »
You didn't answer my question about the format. I'll assume that the archive was enough.

Ah sorry, I haven't realized ytou had updated the post. I'll check later.

Hoping to see the reveal soon :)

Me too :) But it depends on building certain foundations first.

I though you were going to rename them. Anyway, here are several more. Some of them just repeat, some differ.

Many thanks! Fixing.

About "one fury survivor." I meant the survivor, who attacks everyone. Something like a farmer in the abduction.

About "The massacre in the village."
The cult of lotus is a criminal structure like the yakuza. The village refused to pay tribute. It was slaughtered for edification to other villages.
In the map there are many corpses of civilians and one survivor.

As mentioned before, I'm totally fine with adding new stuff later. Now I'm working on big sub-projects (namely the Shogg/underdark arc).

About the Ghost Ship.
An underestimated topic.

Again: fine ideas, may happen some day. Whan I'm not doing important stuff.

No, it's a bird that probably saw and heard everything that happened. And it may be coaxed to repeat the sounds it heard. (Especially in less serious stories.) Add to that advanced psionics, and X-COM researchers may be able to read the images directly from its brain. The problem is catching the bird in limited time.

"Captain Zanderrr! Captain Zanderrr! Therrrre arre pirrates in the forrresst!"
"Polly, what are you saying? You wnat a cracker?"
"Captain Zanderrr! You turrrrd!"