Author Topic: Area 51 beta version 0.962 updated June 27th  (Read 14677 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.955 updated with bugfixes - November 21th
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2017, 06:10:01 am »
Yeah, gotta watch out for mission creep.  :P

Well they are good ideas that I'll certainly use for the Terminator mod - on that one the main way to get resources will be through these type of missions since the machine crafts will give little when compared to UFOs.

And I really want to get this mod to the finish line, and adding these missions at this stage really feels redundant for all the work involved.

Also, I was bored, so I wrote up some potential lore for the human agents you face on council missions. I figure this way could leave them as dead ends (mystery forever intact), or possibly a future development of them as more detailed enemies.

Spoiler:
EXINT Agent
(Our harshest interrogation techniques were ineffective in extracting any useful information from the subject-as soon as their stress levels grew too great, they seemingly went unconscious. When the subject awoke, they claimed to have no memory of what they had been doing. They said they were active military intelligence, and that they had been recruited by a group called EXINT on orders of their government. The purpose of this group had only been explained to them as being 'vital to the safety of their country'. And, next they knew, they woke up in our interrogation room. All our gathered information seems to suggest this part of the story is true, and they genuinely have no memory of what they did-their minds have been wiped perfectly. The subjects health has begun to deteriorate rapidly and mysteriously, as of this report-perhaps a bit of additional insurance to their silence-and we are not sure if they will recover.)

EXINT Agent Autopsy
(The body of the human agent we recovered possesses no surgical, or technological enhancements-it seems to be no more than an ordinary human, in perfect health and prime of life, with physical marks that indicate extensive experience in combat. An autopsy revealed nothing abnormal, except for some odd swelling around the neo-cortex. There are also no signs of identification-it is clear the subject received surgical alteration to change their identity at some point. Even their fingerprints have been permanently removed. The only body marking was a circular tattoo on the back of the neck which read 'EXINT', in red letters, over a black background.)

My idea to call them EXINT follows along the lines of XCOM (Extraterrestrial Combat) and EXALT. My idea is that EXINT (Extraterrestrial Intelligence) is something like the Bureau-they pretty much are the parts of the world governments who want to silence the whole alien invasion and 'make it disappear', trying to keep things quiet, getting rid of witnesses and destroying evidence which XCOM needs to acquire to win the war-they end up working with the aliens and working against XCOM.

The autopsy also hints at how I think the alien 'infiltration' in XCOM actually works. Think of the Spanish giving pox infected blankets to the natives, then apply that to the ways Aliens could sneak something into 'gifts' for human collaborators, like the plasma rifles the human agents wield. With the ultimate intent of making the affected humans minds easier to control via alien psionics. Could go some lengths to explaining how it is more difficult to develop plasma weapons in Area 51-the tech as XCOM finds it, cannot be wielded without nullifying this pacification effect.

i like the description, but I simply decided to remove the autopsy/interrogation since they gave nothing of value in return to the player for the research spent. And also to keep the mystery, and let the player come up with his/her own explanation to how these human guys are working with the Thin Men.

At a certain point of this mod I also had a fully developed version of these MIBs - shadowy conspiracy group and all the cloak and dagger known as the Omega Corporation. Then that also got chopped out because it distracted the story from the aliens to the rogue humans.

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
  • Smoke grenades saved the Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2017, 04:48:03 pm »
Yeah, I figure I came in at the end of this mods development, right? And started suggesting random things.  ;D

It's good to be done at some point, to know when your project is complete. Anything else really wanted, other people can add afterwards.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 03:11:21 am »
Yeah, I figure I came in at the end of this mods development, right? And started suggesting random things.  ;D

It's good to be done at some point, to know when your project is complete. Anything else really wanted, other people can add afterwards.

Well, the good news is that new ideas are most welcome at this point since I've started gathering ideas to a new project. :)

At this stage Area 51 basically requires bugfixing and playtesting since the few changes I had thought aren't really that needed. But one less known feature is that there are 107 possible types of new missions but Area 51 only uses about half of them. So all these resources can be used to create other mods, and use alternative weapons/units/craft/etc. or even a whole different storyline.

So I've lately been going through possible scenarios for such a mod based on Area 51, although I haven't decided on them yet because each has different challenges implicated. My main decision at this stage though is what type of organization will the player command and the overall setting.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.956 updated with bugfixes - January 31st
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ng28p3jmtdhid78/Area_51_v0.957.zip

Requires latest Nightly openxcom_git_master_2018_03_17_1018 or more recent

List of changes:
* Several bugs fixed
* Added partial Hungarian support
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:01:16 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.957 updated with bugfixes - March 18th, 2018
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2018, 07:37:43 pm »
Going to try new upload. Should be fun perhaps terrifying. Going to try it with extended
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:43:19 pm by Cristao »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.957 updated with bugfixes - March 18th, 2018
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 10:42:33 pm »
Going to try new upload. Should be fun perhaps terrifying. Going to try it with extended

Just updated the link to 0.958

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vr4dgblejw66vp6/Area_51_v0.958.zip

List of changes:
* Several bugs fixed

Enjoy :)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.958 updated with bugfixes - April 3rd, 2018
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2018, 09:29:06 pm »
Great!!

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 06:24:18 pm »
Normal to get more than one council facility attack at a time?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 01:10:33 am »
Normal to get more than one council facility attack at a time?

Yes but uncommon
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:16:05 am by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.959 updated with bugfixes - April 9th, 2018
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2018, 01:05:48 am »
Just updated the link to version 0.959

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h33l9aybq9qh6v6/Area%2051%20v0.959.zip

List of changes:
* Several bugs fixed
* Balance: Council missions have a decreased probability of being spawned each month

Enjoy :)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2018, 08:09:04 pm »
Thanks on the decreased council missions. I am using it with Extended and it is very enjoyable - thanks.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2018, 04:04:38 pm »
Thanks on the decreased council missions. I am using it with Extended and it is very enjoyable - thanks.

I've noticed that their frequency was a little too much by watching Meridian's LP and from starting a new campaign ;)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 10:18:35 pm »
Researched two topics - Wraith Corpse and Hovertank. Research completed but I couldnt see any entries in the UFOpedia.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
Researched two topics - Wraith Corpse and Hovertank. Research completed but I couldnt see any entries in the UFOpedia.

Wraith Corpse should give the Prometheus Unbound UFOPedia article + random weapon tech. I've fixed the Hovertank bug, I'll release a new version later today

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 08:34:35 pm »
and where is this new version? :D