Author Topic: Area 51 beta version 0.962 updated June 27th  (Read 10720 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.955 updated with bugfixes - November 21th
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »
I'd like those to be added, tho we will have to see the final result to determine if they 'fit.

Maybe even for normal missions.

Something like "Local Hyperwave signal traffic has gone silent-all hostiles are dead, and the area is secure. Send in the clean-up crew." when you clear a UFO, or "The remaining Alien forces, shaken and demoralized, abort their terror attack on the city of X, and flee to the stars. A cheer rises from the surviving defenders and civilians-XCOM has won, at great cost." when you win a terror mission.

And I just lost a radar mission/crew/ranger by running out of time (reloading revealed a spacefarer hiding in a corner, the sneaky bugger) so a brief explanation of my rookies no doubt horrible fate would have been welcome there. :P

The vanilla game had cutscdnes -in a form of slideshow, but only in the ending sequence as far as i temember - so i don't see why not add them 8) 8)

Regarding both replies, the question regarding the cutscenes is: are they needed?

Until I tested them out, my answer was yes, they are needed to better explain the results of the special missions like the Pyramid, and possibly to also use in the regular Council missions. Now, I'm not sure if all the work required (getting background images for each slide of the cutscenes) is worth it. They might be worth it if the Council missions are turned more into mini-campaigns, but the question is still the same: is it needed?

I'll work more on them in the next days to see my answer to that question :)

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
  • Smoke grenades saved the Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 11:25:41 pm »
Well, I'm six months into my campaign and able to report a bit more now.

Just describing how the missions/difficulty curve is going for you like you did is great, many thanks!

Have you noticed the 'second wave' of Council missions? The way the script is set you'll usually see two spikes of Council missions, on the first one you'll get laser techs, on the second the plasma techs.

There is also another thing I wanted to ask about the new missions but I might be spoiling the surprise(s) if I did ;)

SpoilerGeneral Thoughts:
Turns out the aliens LOVE building bases for me. I hit one pretty early on (it was the holy grail, a floater base-those guys are easy money). Cue six months later, I am playing around with my Darkstar, and I find another alien base in Australia. It's number...five. :P A worldwide search reveals three more bases in Africa and Europe. Gonna have a lot of work to do next month! It's interesting, I typically don't use the Darkstar, mostly because of the cost and space requirements-by the time you can really afford enough of them I feel you don't really need them-late game HD's can cover the whole earth. But they were very useful in this situation. I think their design intent is to ferret out alien bases, correct?

As a side note, the increased amount of council missions also make the Blackbird much more valuable-you want to minimize flight time as much as you can-and in fact, a lot of your smaller maps tend to use high vertical spaces with narrow alleys, so having some height is pretty useful. At least to get out of the feed chute...I barely used the Bird in my last game, this game it is integral.

Anyway, at this point in the campaign I am liking the pacing. I've fought a variety of enemies in a gradual difficulty increase. Month four was Phasers (I had a defense mission against them and they turned the building into swiss cheese. "The lab is safe!" "What lab?") and Spacefarers. Month five was snakemen and Mutons and a bit of everything. Month sixth was Gazers and Ethereals. Tho I have not seen any second wave council missions yet, they have gotten steadily more difficult in scope. I particularly enjoy the Docked ship/Dock Assault/'Unidentified signal' missions. Lots of bugs.  ;)

As for tech tree progress, I've pretty much hit a dead end right on six months in. I got pretty much everything except for an alien scientist I need to progress, and now I am least trying hard to get one. None of my 'kill feeds' shows I've accidentally popped one yet, I'm just waiting for one to spawn. This is where council missions come in, hopefully!

Haven't found any more bugs. The weirdest thing that had happened was a Silacoid in a terror mission, burned down the stairwell he was in, and got trapped. Leading to a long and ridiculous search for a pile of molten snot. But we stunned him, and now he lives with us.

I'm enjoying the new pace as well for the same reasons you mentioned. Don't know if you noticed but you'll actually see a slight reduction in the number of UFOs when compared to vanilla, and one of the issues I've been dealing is that I never have enough alloys and Elerium.

I tend to do a construction heavy build start-investing in workshops for every base-so I don't suffer as much from that. I have noticed the lack of UFO's, tho they are starting to pick up now. I did get lucky with two landed abductors early on, which gave me enough alloys to afford a lot of my basic improved equipment-and I got the craft laser cannon from a tech disc.

But maybe there could be future council missions to seize alien supplies from MIB warehouses or Black Market dens, or fight with them over salvage to crashed UFO's. Would be problematic to code, but would work as a story mission?

Just checked, don't think it's possible to increase the score from captures (or even change it). Increasing the sale value of the Rogue Scientist (currently at §50.000) is possible but that only works if the option to sell live aliens is activated (which I can recommend in the documentation)

However, there's a caveat because of how the game works: you either research the Scientist for the tech or ransom it for a boatload of cash (§500.000? more?). Which can an interesting choice for the player.

I def agree of increasing the 'ransom'. I have already caught at least one rogue scientist I couldn't research at all, because I had all the techs from her already researched, only the one tho-to be fair, RNG blessed me and she literally ran right into my Blackbird to be stunned and kidnapped. This happened with a few data disks too-I think the , but that is the RNG for you. Still, a more annoying thing to me was that the discs could 'bait' you into researching them despite having that tech already done. Needless to say I made some small personal changes. :P

STR_DATA_DISK_WEAPONS_E: "PROJECT EXCALIBUR (Laser Weapons)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_ARMORS_E: "PROJECT MITHRIL (Personal Armor)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_HWPS_E: "PROJECT ED171 (Alloy Tank)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_FACILITIES_E: "PROJECT OBELISK (Laser Defense)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_CRAFTS_E: "PROJECT VERTIGO (Thunderstorm Interceptor)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_CRAFT_WEAPONS_E: "PROJECT DURANDAL (Craft Laser Cannon)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_WEAPONS_F: "PROJECT BORNEO (Plasma Pistol)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_ARMORS_F: "PROJECT ADAMANT (Power Suit)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_HWPS_F: "PROJECT TACITUS (Hovertank Plasma)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_FACILITIES_F: "PROJECT ROSEMONT (Plasma Defense)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_CRAFTS_F: "PROJECT ORCA (Blackbird Transport)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_CRAFT_WEAPONS_F: "PROJECT REAPER (Craft Plasma Cannon)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_7: "PROJECT MAJESTY (Random Early Tech)"
      STR_DATA_DISK_8: "PROJECT AQUARIUS (UFO Power Source/Navigation)"

I feel clearly labeling the techs in the strings is probably more helpful so you know not to waste research time, tho it is best a minor annoyance.  Most of those are references to command and conquer, dungeons and dragons, robocop, and XCOM The Bureau.

And to add one more thing, I've started playing around with adding the plasma/laser sniper rifles and shotguns from the Arsenal expanded. I really like these weapons starting out-I tend to use the sniper rifle all the way into the late game-and I like the idea of expanding them to later 'tech' levels.

To cap it off, what's your general design idea around balancing shotguns, or were you even the one to add them to area 51? Sniper rifles seem pretty easy to balance to me. Damage set in between the rifle and heavy cannon, poor snap shots, no autos, and really good aimed shots, with a heavy TU cost to fire. But I'm not sure about the shotguns.

All in all, to sum up-having a lot of fun with this mod. And hope I'm actually being helpful!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:27:20 pm by Dwarmin »

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 07:33:40 pm »
Small update!

Spoiler:
Darkstars are more useful than I thought. Finding the Cold Isle Pyramid was a complete surprise to me! And I think it solved my other problem...

The real question is where they got all those skulls for decoration. Map is really well done+looks amazing.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:36:13 pm by Dwarmin »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:00 am »
Well, I'm six months into my campaign and able to report a bit more now.

Turns out the aliens LOVE building bases for me. I hit one pretty early on (it was the holy grail, a floater base-those guys are easy money). Cue six months later, I am playing around with my Darkstar, and I find another alien base in Australia. It's number...five. :P A worldwide search reveals three more bases in Africa and Europe. Gonna have a lot of work to do next month! It's interesting, I typically don't use the Darkstar, mostly because of the cost and space requirements-by the time you can really afford enough of them I feel you don't really need them-late game HD's can cover the whole earth. But they were very useful in this situation. I think their design intent is to ferret out alien bases, correct?

So many alien bases is chance, not design. I usually use the Darkstar to cover areas without radar and detect UFOs for the interceptors to take down, by using the graphs to figure out which regions have active alien missions. And they can be very useful also at detecting alien bases :)

As a side note, the increased amount of council missions also make the Blackbird much more valuable-you want to minimize flight time as much as you can-and in fact, a lot of your smaller maps tend to use high vertical spaces with narrow alleys, so having some height is pretty useful. At least to get out of the feed chute...I barely used the Bird in my last game, this game it is integral.

I've played with the Blackbird but its main limitation (10 units) makes me uneasy to bring it to major fights.

Anyway, at this point in the campaign I am liking the pacing. I've fought a variety of enemies in a gradual difficulty increase. Month four was Phasers (I had a defense mission against them and they turned the building into swiss cheese. "The lab is safe!" "What lab?") and Spacefarers. Month five was snakemen and Mutons and a bit of everything. Month sixth was Gazers and Ethereals. Tho I have not seen any second wave council missions yet, they have gotten steadily more difficult in scope. I particularly enjoy the Docked ship/Dock Assault/'Unidentified signal' missions. Lots of bugs.  ;)

Working as planned :)

As for tech tree progress, I've pretty much hit a dead end right on six months in. I got pretty much everything except for an alien scientist I need to progress, and now I am least trying hard to get one. None of my 'kill feeds' shows I've accidentally popped one yet, I'm just waiting for one to spawn. This is where council missions come in, hopefully!

Yup ;)

I tend to do a construction heavy build start-investing in workshops for every base-so I don't suffer as much from that. I have noticed the lack of UFO's, tho they are starting to pick up now. I did get lucky with two landed abductors early on, which gave me enough alloys to afford a lot of my basic improved equipment-and I got the craft laser cannon from a tech disc.

But maybe there could be future council missions to seize alien supplies from MIB warehouses or Black Market dens, or fight with them over salvage to crashed UFO's. Would be problematic to code, but would work as a story mission?

I already have these sort of supply missions thought for the Terminator mod and it's possible to add them. But at the same time, less UFOs make the air game more vital, IMO. I'm gonna need to be persuaded of the need for them, because this would involve a significant amount of work creating the terrains to use :)

I def agree of increasing the 'ransom'. I have already caught at least one rogue scientist I couldn't research at all, because I had all the techs from her already researched, only the one tho-to be fair, RNG blessed me and she literally ran right into my Blackbird to be stunned and kidnapped.

Next version, sale value will be increased from 50.000 to 500.000

This happened with a few data disks too-I think the , but that is the RNG for you. Still, a more annoying thing to me was that the discs could 'bait' you into researching them despite having that tech already done. Needless to say I made some small personal changes. :P
I feel clearly labeling the techs in the strings is probably more helpful so you know not to waste research time, tho it is best a minor annoyance.  Most of those are references to command and conquer, dungeons and dragons, robocop, and XCOM The Bureau.

I've made several attempts with the tech names so far - I've already tried the 'Project X' format, although to be useful to the player it still requires the description at the end like "PROJECT ED171 (Alloy Tank)" (I'm not familiar with C&C and D&D though).

My issue with a solution like this is that it doesn't fit the text style of the original, but that's highly subjective and it might be better to consider the needs of the player. However, if the criteria for the name should be informative, then it is also possible to specify the research bonus gained, since data disks give either the full tech (for the laser tier techs) or merely unlock it (for the plasma tier)

So I can either add the 'Project ED (Alloy Tank)' format or change the existing one to "Alloy Tank Tech"/"Hovertank Unlock" or something else. Which would you prefer?

And to add one more thing, I've started playing around with adding the plasma/laser sniper rifles and shotguns from the Arsenal expanded. I really like these weapons starting out-I tend to use the sniper rifle all the way into the late game-and I like the idea of expanding them to later 'tech' levels.

To cap it off, what's your general design idea around balancing shotguns, or were you even the one to add them to area 51? Sniper rifles seem pretty easy to balance to me. Damage set in between the rifle and heavy cannon, poor snap shots, no autos, and really good aimed shots, with a heavy TU cost to fire. But I'm not sure about the shotguns.

You haven't unlocked Area 51's Laser Sniper Rifle yet, since it requires Elerium and Heavy Laser. It has 120 power, and it can fire 3 Snap shots with 75 accuracy in a single turn, or a Snap and an Aimed shot (110 accuracy). The stats were taken from XComUtil's Improved Lasers (which I always used when playing the original). You might also have not unlocked Alloy Shotgun, which sits halfway between the laser and plasma tiers in damage.

Regarding those two weapon types, sniper rifle and shotgun, I decided a while ago to just add 1 upgraded version of those weapons (Alloy Shotgun and Laser Sniper Rifle) and make them available around the middle of the research tree, to simplify things. But if you would prefer more versions of these weapons, can you suggest some stats?

All in all, to sum up-having a lot of fun with this mod. And hope I'm actually being helpful!

That's great to hear, and thank you very much for the feedback :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 03:11:07 am »
Small update!

Spoiler:
Darkstars are more useful than I thought. Finding the Cold Isle Pyramid was a complete surprise to me! And I think it solved my other problem...

The real question is where they got all those skulls for decoration. Map is really well done+looks amazing.

The original terrain designer was XOps, I used his terrain files from his XenoOperations mod to make an unique map for the Pyramid mission. :)

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 05:19:39 pm »
So I can either add the 'Project ED (Alloy Tank)' format or change the existing one to "Alloy Tank Tech"/"Hovertank Unlock" or something else. Which would you prefer?

Regarding those two weapon types, sniper rifle and shotgun, I decided a while ago to just add 1 upgraded version of those weapons (Alloy Shotgun and Laser Sniper Rifle) and make them available around the middle of the research tree, to simplify things. But if you would prefer more versions of these weapons, can you suggest some stats?

I prefer the former, as I tend to value immersion. You can probably name less tongue in cheek tho, more in line with the lore.. :P

A balanced solution might be to make the tech unlocks named "PROJECT: POUNDCAKE (Plasma Shotgun)", and the full unlocks "SCHEMATIC: BFL 8000". With a small note in the council missions UFOpaedia of the difference, perhaps.

As for the stats I'm playing around with, they aren't too crazy. My general idea was cribbed from noticing the relation in your mod between the normal shotgun and the alloy shotgun. Pretty much that the more powerful shotguns get, the less pellets they should shoot, and the less accuracy-meaning you have to get closer to get more value from them. It makes the 'weaker' shotguns still viable with their better spread and hit rate against low armor enemies. Higher power shotguns should be very devastating at close range, but only there. This puts shotguns in with pistols, rifles and heavy rifles as a usable type of weapon, without being too powerful in comparison to them. Also, generally, lasers have slightly less accuracy in all areas than conventional weapons, plasmas should be about the same as them, but have much better snapshots (got to punish those low reaction score rookies!).
Spoiler:
Shotguns (They are all modded to use the same range limitations as our existing shotguns. I made the techs to be given alongside standard rifles of that type.)

Scatter Laser (Named From XCOMEU)
65 Power
4 Pellets
No Auto
Snap Acc 100%/TU Cost  30%
Aimed Acc 125%/TU Cost 60%

(Less accurate than the projectile shotguns, a bit more powerful per pellet than than the Alloy Shotgun. In return, less spread. Damage is enough it'll kill low level aliens in two pellets, etherals can take three or four, mutons usually take at least a blast or two. Thinking about bumping up the carry weight, since shotguns usually have strict ammo requirements to balance them. Laser damage+no Ammo is enough of a bonus I think the slight damage increase is OK.)

Plasma Shotgun
90 Power
3 Pellets
No Auto
Snap Acc 120%/TU Cost  30%
Aimed Acc 115%/TU Cost 60%

(The Plasma shotgun is the most powerful individually, but fewest pellets. Slightly more accurate than the laser version. It will shred XCOM units until you get proper armor, with personal armor being a big help and power armor reducing the threat-still, a close range blast is going to hurt. Alot. Tho probably not as much as a point blank auto-fire from a heavy plasma.

I generally give these weapons to aliens who camp inside UFO's, so they can get the most use out of them.)

Sniper Rifles (Generally, these should be in the tech tree alongside the heavy laser/heavy plasma, respectively.)

Laser Sniper Rifle
90 Power
No Auto
Snap Acc 30%/TU Cost  50%
Aimed Acc 120%/TU Cost 85%

(The Laser Sniper Rifle I have, is indeed inferior to the laser sniper rifle you get after researching Elerium-115, which I renamed the 'Laser Marksman Rifle'. I made this one develop along the lines of being a sort of 'fill in' weapon-it's aimed accuracy is still better than the Marksman version, tho in return you have usable snap shots and more damage. It should be a big help for squaddies with poorer aim than usual as a mid-game weapon.)

Plasma Sniper Rifle
115 Power
No Auto
Snap Acc 50%/TU Cost  40%
Aimed Acc 130%/TU Cost 70%

(Pretty much along the same lines as above. Interesting thing, I actually don't know if aliens use Aimed Shots properly, so this weapon is more of a general upgrade to the plasma rifle in that specific direction. I mostly give these to alien soldiers, or any aliens lurking outside.)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 06:16:47 am »
I prefer the former, as I tend to value immersion. You can probably name less tongue in cheek tho, more in line with the lore.. :P

A balanced solution might be to make the tech unlocks named "PROJECT: POUNDCAKE (Plasma Shotgun)", and the full unlocks "SCHEMATIC: BFL 8000". With a small note in the council missions UFOpaedia of the difference, perhaps.

I'll change them and post here an image

As for the stats I'm playing around with, they aren't too crazy. My general idea was cribbed from noticing the relation in your mod between the normal shotgun and the alloy shotgun. Pretty much that the more powerful shotguns get, the less pellets they should shoot, and the less accuracy-meaning you have to get closer to get more value from them. It makes the 'weaker' shotguns still viable with their better spread and hit rate against low armor enemies. Higher power shotguns should be very devastating at close range, but only there. This puts shotguns in with pistols, rifles and heavy rifles as a usable type of weapon, without being too powerful in comparison to them. Also, generally, lasers have slightly less accuracy in all areas than conventional weapons, plasmas should be about the same as them, but have much better snapshots (got to punish those low reaction score rookies!).
Spoiler:
Shotguns (They are all modded to use the same range limitations as our existing shotguns. I made the techs to be given alongside standard rifles of that type.)

Scatter Laser (Named From XCOMEU)
65 Power
4 Pellets
No Auto
Snap Acc 100%/TU Cost  30%
Aimed Acc 125%/TU Cost 60%

(Less accurate than the projectile shotguns, a bit more powerful per pellet than than the Alloy Shotgun. In return, less spread. Damage is enough it'll kill low level aliens in two pellets, etherals can take three or four, mutons usually take at least a blast or two. Thinking about bumping up the carry weight, since shotguns usually have strict ammo requirements to balance them. Laser damage+no Ammo is enough of a bonus I think the slight damage increase is OK.)

Plasma Shotgun
90 Power
3 Pellets
No Auto
Snap Acc 120%/TU Cost  30%
Aimed Acc 115%/TU Cost 60%

(The Plasma shotgun is the most powerful individually, but fewest pellets. Slightly more accurate than the laser version. It will shred XCOM units until you get proper armor, with personal armor being a big help and power armor reducing the threat-still, a close range blast is going to hurt. Alot. Tho probably not as much as a point blank auto-fire from a heavy plasma.

I generally give these weapons to aliens who camp inside UFO's, so they can get the most use out of them.)

Sniper Rifles (Generally, these should be in the tech tree alongside the heavy laser/heavy plasma, respectively.)

Laser Sniper Rifle
90 Power
No Auto
Snap Acc 30%/TU Cost  50%
Aimed Acc 120%/TU Cost 85%

(The Laser Sniper Rifle I have, is indeed inferior to the laser sniper rifle you get after researching Elerium-115, which I renamed the 'Laser Marksman Rifle'. I made this one develop along the lines of being a sort of 'fill in' weapon-it's aimed accuracy is still better than the Marksman version, tho in return you have usable snap shots and more damage. It should be a big help for squaddies with poorer aim than usual as a mid-game weapon.)

Plasma Sniper Rifle
115 Power
No Auto
Snap Acc 50%/TU Cost  40%
Aimed Acc 130%/TU Cost 70%

(Pretty much along the same lines as above. Interesting thing, I actually don't know if aliens use Aimed Shots properly, so this weapon is more of a general upgrade to the plasma rifle in that specific direction. I mostly give these to alien soldiers, or any aliens lurking outside.)

I might add the tier 2 shotgun and sniper rifle (Alloy Shotgun and Laser Sniper Rifle being tier 3) but I'm not a fan of aliens having the plasma ones. In my personal lore those are Earth weapons and the aliens shouldn't be copying inferior human designs. Plus the AI wouldn't use the sniper rifle as well as a Heavy Plasma.

I'm gonna add a couple of extra main buildings to the Abandoned Factory mission on the first month, so that you can get randomly one of 3 different buildings. I'm also adapting a terrain that might be useful for the supply missions, and another one for a new mission type (Rescue), where you need to save VIPs trapped by the aliens.

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 12:33:59 am »
Huh, a rescue mission was an idea I had myself. I wasn't sure how you could keep them alive or escort them to safety tho. Unless they are trapped in a little box and can't escape.  ;D Maybe even put them behind some sort of terrain feature that the aliens have to attack and destroy (pretty sure there is code for them to attack certain base structures that way) before they can get to them.

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 04:43:09 pm »
Also, I think next version/campaign I run I am going to try something new to satisfy my curiosity-making alien alloys unable to built in workshops. I'll see how it interacts with the reduced amount of UFOs, and the prevalence of your supply missions to replace them. Because I'm wondering at how useful those supply missions will really be when we can just spam out alloys in our workshops.

I recently tried a TFTD mod that played this way in regards to aqua plastics, it made the campaign rather much more difficult, and in my mind more engaging-every piece I could get was absolutely vital, and it made me think a lot more strategically about how to use them, sort of like how you usually worry about your elerium stocks late/mid game. I often had to balance using advanced equipment and base equipment, and not all my teams could be outfitted with the best stuff. You could also dismantle various pieces of alien tech, as opposed to selling them for cash, to scavenge resources. Capturing landing USO's become a lot more vital. It works the same way in EU2012.

Not sure if this could be added to Area 51 baseline, but I might make a mod of it just for myself and whoever else wants it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:45:16 pm by Dwarmin »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 07:52:59 pm »
Huh, a rescue mission was an idea I had myself. I wasn't sure how you could keep them alive or escort them to safety tho. Unless they are trapped in a little box and can't escape.  ;D Maybe even put them behind some sort of terrain feature that the aliens have to attack and destroy (pretty sure there is code for them to attack certain base structures that way) before they can get to them.

This is one of the maps I'm thinking of using

In this map the VIPs + escorts start on the top level, aliens in the lower levels and the XCom craft is placed on the edges. This terrain is called POLIS and can appear as terror sites, there are a total of 8 different 40x40 buildings similar to the one above. What I'm thinking is to remove the terrain from the terror sites and set it as a specific rescue mission, although I haven't decided about the frequency of these missions.

Also, I think next version/campaign I run I am going to try something new to satisfy my curiosity-making alien alloys unable to built in workshops. I'll see how it interacts with the reduced amount of UFOs, and the prevalence of your supply missions to replace them. Because I'm wondering at how useful those supply missions will really be when we can just spam out alloys in our workshops.

I recently tried a TFTD mod that played this way in regards to aqua plastics, it made the campaign rather much more difficult, and in my mind more engaging-every piece I could get was absolutely vital, and it made me think a lot more strategically about how to use them, sort of like how you usually worry about your elerium stocks late/mid game. I often had to balance using advanced equipment and base equipment, and not all my teams could be outfitted with the best stuff. You could also dismantle various pieces of alien tech, as opposed to selling them for cash, to scavenge resources. Capturing landing USO's become a lot more vital. It works the same way in EU2012.

Not sure if this could be added to Area 51 baseline, but I might make a mod of it just for myself and whoever else wants it.

In a past version of Area 51 it wasn't possible to build alloys, power sources or UFO navigation, I got the idea also from EU2012, but I removed this change because the only effect it had was to increase difficulty and deviate from the original game.

But if supply missions are added, then it would make sense for XCom not being able to build UFO components, and UFO & Supply missions get more important.

Other than the terrain, which I already have an idea, I'm thinking of adding those supply sites as facilities that you need to detect on Geoscape using your craft. First supply site is always in a region with an XCom base (to help player discover about them), other ones are generated in a monthly basis, although they cease to spawn after a number of months.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:55:58 pm by Hobbes »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 05:30:10 am »

It'll have the interesting effect that you can always supply yourself with alloys by running crash sites, while those won't work as well for your elerium needs.

Another way to do it would be to allow building alloys, but make them slow and time-wasteful for the value, so you aren't forced to go to a new crash site just because you need a small amount but if you want a steady supply of them you'll probably want to collect them from the aliens.

Just the same, while it'll be different in various mods I'm sure, I know in the base game I'm never short on alloys unless I'm building lots of stuff without running ground missions.

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 12:52:54 am »
I like the new VIP map. Can't help but wish we had more tools to work with. The aliens really love to attack apartment buildings!

And, as for removing maps, I'm all for have as much terrain variety as possible. The slim chance of seeing two maps in a row is not a terrible problem in my opinion.

Also approve of the supply sites hidden on the geoscape. It would be a nice way to get the player searching the whole world for 'goodies', and eventually lead to HFS later on.

Also found another missing two strings. They both have to do with FACILITY ASSAULT HWP.

STR_FACTORY_ASSAULT_BRIEFING: They be stealing our tanks, yo
STR_TANK_FACTORY: They make the cup holders here

Missing the briefing and the geoscape facility name.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 07:38:07 pm »
I like the new VIP map. Can't help but wish we had more tools to work with. The aliens really love to attack apartment buildings!

And, as for removing maps, I'm all for have as much terrain variety as possible. The slim chance of seeing two maps in a row is not a terrible problem in my opinion.

Also approve of the supply sites hidden on the geoscape. It would be a nice way to get the player searching the whole world for 'goodies', and eventually lead to HFS later on.

I've been thinking over the past days on the possible new missions and at this point I'm not sold on both, because of several reasons, the main one being that I don't think that they would add anything significantly new/needed at this stage, and would require major changes to the mission system.

Plus I need to focus on introducing some features for the existing missions, like the post-mission cutscenes, and some additional surprises included, plus a new mid-tier Sniper Rifle and Shotgun, as previously discussed.

Also found another missing two strings. They both have to do with FACILITY ASSAULT HWP.

Missing the briefing and the geoscape facility name.

Fixed both, thanks

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »
Yeah, gotta watch out for mission creep.  :P

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 10:14:34 pm »
Also, I was bored, so I wrote up some potential lore for the human agents you face on council missions. I figure this way could leave them as dead ends (mystery forever intact), or possibly a future development of them as more detailed enemies.

Spoiler:
EXINT Agent
(Our harshest interrogation techniques were ineffective in extracting any useful information from the subject-as soon as their stress levels grew too great, they seemingly went unconscious. When the subject awoke, they claimed to have no memory of what they had been doing. They said they were active military intelligence, and that they had been recruited by a group called EXINT on orders of their government. The purpose of this group had only been explained to them as being 'vital to the safety of their country'. And, next they knew, they woke up in our interrogation room. All our gathered information seems to suggest this part of the story is true, and they genuinely have no memory of what they did-their minds have been wiped perfectly. The subjects health has begun to deteriorate rapidly and mysteriously, as of this report-perhaps a bit of additional insurance to their silence-and we are not sure if they will recover.)

EXINT Agent Autopsy
(The body of the human agent we recovered possesses no surgical, or technological enhancements-it seems to be no more than an ordinary human, in perfect health and prime of life, with physical marks that indicate extensive experience in combat. An autopsy revealed nothing abnormal, except for some odd swelling around the neo-cortex. There are also no signs of identification-it is clear the subject received surgical alteration to change their identity at some point. Even their fingerprints have been permanently removed. The only body marking was a circular tattoo on the back of the neck which read 'EXINT', in red letters, over a black background.)

My idea to call them EXINT follows along the lines of XCOM (Extraterrestrial Combat) and EXALT. My idea is that EXINT (Extraterrestrial Intelligence) is something like the Bureau-they pretty much are the parts of the world governments who want to silence the whole alien invasion and 'make it disappear', trying to keep things quiet, getting rid of witnesses and destroying evidence which XCOM needs to acquire to win the war-they end up working with the aliens and working against XCOM.

The autopsy also hints at how I think the alien 'infiltration' in XCOM actually works. Think of the Spanish giving pox infected blankets to the natives, then apply that to the ways Aliens could sneak something into 'gifts' for human collaborators, like the plasma rifles the human agents wield. With the ultimate intent of making the affected humans minds easier to control via alien psionics. Could go some lengths to explaining how it is more difficult to develop plasma weapons in Area 51-the tech as XCOM finds it, cannot be wielded without nullifying this pacification effect.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:59:10 pm by Dwarmin »