Author Topic: Increasing psionic strength beyond the point, where the skill is 100?  (Read 5059 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I'm not sure, whether I'm doing it wrong but I noticed something: There's that option, that psionic strength can increase, same as skill. However, afaics, the strength doesn't seem to increase any more, once the soldiers skill has already reached 100 or more. So I got soldiers with let's say 100 skill and 95 strength but using them doesn't increase their strength any more. Is this intended behavior?

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing psionic strength beyond the point, where the skill is 100?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 12:27:56 pm »
on the soldier ruleset you can change all the stat caps(meaning the max the can achive)
Space marine exemple:

statCaps:
      tu: 100
      stamina: 120
      health: 90
      bravery: 110
      reactions: 110
      firing: 130
      throwing: 120
      strength: 100
      psiStrength: 100
      psiSkill: 100
      melee: 130

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:54:51 pm »
Thanks. But that's not exactly what I meant. Apparently, the limits work, just like intended, as an upper limit. But I noticed, that the psi skill having reached the limit, also causes the strength not to increase any more. Eben when the strength hasn't reached the limit, yet. And the question is, whether this is normal or some sort of bug (side effect of the test of the skill on the strength check).

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 03:30:51 pm »
Without looking at the source, and just going purely off of what you've mentioned, it sounds like the code for the strength increase is nested inside the code for the skill increase. So when the skill is at the cap, the block of code that normally updates the skill is terminating immediately and bypassing the instructions that update the strength.

If this is the case, then I believe it is unintentional.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 03:34:44 pm »
I think the same way. ;-) But I'm not really a code insider, so I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:45:25 pm »
I'm not sure, whether I'm doing it wrong but I noticed something: There's that option, that psionic strength can increase, same as skill. However, afaics, the strength doesn't seem to increase any more, once the soldiers skill has already reached 100 or more. So I got soldiers with let's say 100 skill and 95 strength but using them doesn't increase their strength any more. Is this intended behavior?

Are you talking about:
- monthly psi strength traning?
- daily psi strength training?
- or per mission psi strength training?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:01:41 pm by Meridian »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:48:57 pm »
Per mission.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 03:50:33 pm »
In the vanilla code, psi strength improvement only happens twice in the code, here and here.  You should notice that instead of the psi skill's _unit->addPsiSkillExp();, these lines have _target->addPsiStrengthExp(); - you only get psi strength improvement when you're being targeted by an attack.  The improvement is completely separate from the skill too, see here in the code.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:11 pm »
Per mission.

As Oharty said above, you get psi strength exp points per mission only if you're targeted by psi attacks.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »
The psi lab training is different though, you can only gain psi strength in the lab if your skill has gone over the cap, but then the training function sets your skill back to the cap.  That is, unless you use the psi training at any time option, which does it differently yet again, allowing for more psi strength improvement than just when over the skill cap.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 08:36:48 pm »
I use improvement at any time. But I was not aware, that it is that complicated. Just one point about that: The fact that you only gain strength by being attacked makes it very unlikely in the end, as aliens at some point simply stop to attack via psionics, as everyone seems to be to strong for them even trying. So essentially at some point only the psi lab seems to change strength, right?