Author Topic: Disable the fog of war scanning exploit  (Read 2740 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Disable the fog of war scanning exploit
« on: August 05, 2017, 11:56:59 pm »
In the original X-Com and in TFTD on the battlescape, you could use the selector cuboid to discern the terrain and location of objects in unexplored areas, because the terrain and objects would occlude the selector even if they were unseen. I don't know about others, but I abused this to send blaster bombs around unexplored corners to hit distant targets early on in a mission, such as killing every ethereal leader and commander on the first turn.

OpenXcom preserves this behavior.

In X-Com: Apocalypse, this was disabled, the selector would not be occluded by anything in undiscovered terrain.

I'm asking if there could be an option added to turn off selector box occlusion by unexplored terrain. Normally my solution to such a thing is "don't use the exploit" but I'm so good at doing it that I have to be very careful where I place my selector just to avoid revealing terrain. It could sweep across a segment, being rendered in 3 positions within the blink of an eye and I'd already know exactly which terrain block is in that part of the map, and I can't shut off this ability.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:58:58 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Disable the fog of war scanning exploit
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:36:07 am »
Interesting, I never knew this exploit existed. So it shows just inanimate objects or will it actually show the outline of an alien? Definitely sounds like an exploit worth preventing.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:21:31 pm »
Aliens and other mobile units aren't rendered until they are spotted. But all terrain is shown, including modifications to terrain. You can use this to find which door opened after you hear an alien open a door, or check for rubble/holes in walls after hearing an explosion in the distance.

Similarly (but not the same functionality), you can find out where a panicked alien is hiding within explored terrain because its dropped weapon will show up, even though it wasn't on the ground when that terrain was explored initially.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:36 am »
OpenXcom pathfinding adds another similar exploit. You can plot the route through undiscovered area and see where passes are. In my opinion it nicely compensates the insane map generation :) but it's still an exploit.