Author Topic: alternate graphics for x-piratez  (Read 16703 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
alternate graphics for x-piratez
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:13:27 am »
For those who want to spice up, alter graphics, etc etc. There was a thread in the OXCE+ board but I was directed to make a new one here instead. May link to other posts I made from there.

Attached graphics are modified "big guns" that were rotated to the side so they could be resized ever so slightly larger and detailed. They ought to be in the new palette (I think). Just differentiates between yer average 2x3 inventory to say "whoa, this is a really big gun". Some of them look a little more menacing rotated.

There's no real rhyme or reason to which direction they're facing but I figured most of them were better off flipped to the left, to additionally differentiate them. Some other creative modifications were made in a few cases.

Do whatever you want with em.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:20:52 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: alternate graphics for x-piratez
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »
So shiny  :D

A true gem to the eyes those look fantastic!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:31:38 pm »
Yep!  Pretty neat! 

For convenience I've put them all in a little mod.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:12:49 pm »
So shiny  :D

A true gem to the eyes those look fantastic!

Thanks man. I was going to do this to the ret plague launcher but it just made it look goofy because of the shading, so I didnt. Dont think its all that heavy for a 2x3 item anyway. There's a couple huge guns I missed, but im not aware of them off the top of my head, and the microwave cooker is big as it is.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:22:51 am »
Thanks man. I was going to do this to the ret plague launcher but it just made it look goofy because of the shading, so I didnt.
Me coming along and fucking up everyone's plans, isn't that a classic

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »
I would like to mention one thing and that would be symmetry considering the facing of the picture.
If it's possible let all guns face from down right (gunbutt) to up left (pointy end for the bullets).

Just a personal opinion tho.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 12:53:29 am »
Me coming along and fucking up everyone's plans, isn't that a classic

Nope you're fine actually, it looks so snazzy I didnt want to mess it up. Since I play with these, I didnt want to rotate it. Take it as a compliment.

I would like to mention one thing and that would be symmetry considering the facing of the picture.

Put the Assault Cannon and Rail Driver in the Left Hand if it makes you feel... uncomfortable for your hands to be holding it in their right.

You should probably flip those graphics both vertical and horizontal so that their dangerous end is pointing downwards...

---
Edit

Link to some other graphics I made so as to not double-host.
(particularly proud of that M-41b pulse... err... smartrifle)
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.msg87145.html#msg87145

also attached other sprites I use personally, and a fixed rail driver
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:23:55 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:39:01 pm »
These are variations on the Light Cannon to make it look more like the original xcom style. Included is a handob that ought to (ahem, do the job). Im aware that there's another heavy cannon in the game that looks similar, so I tried to make the barrel a little smaller.

Edit:  Added a new mortar. Along with the handob for it.

Also a planned modification for the silver snake to turn it into the "Broken Butterfly" from RE4 (dmg 30 + bonuses, cost is 34000, pretty much an expensive early game confederate eagle but it could be worth it).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:05:01 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 12:01:26 am »
I went ahead and dicked the flameball cannon

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 12:14:34 am »
I went ahead and dicked the flameball cannon

Cool. Not arm wrestling or anything but I put the original waffle cone on the front... and something happened... and now it looks even more evil somehow.

(arena fireball launcher... somebody needs to put this in zdoom pronto...)

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:10 am »
Oh trust me, I like some back-and-forth.

did ??something?? in the meantime

edit:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:39:20 am by Bloax »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 12:57:07 am »
Oh trust me, I like some back-and-forth.

Ooh now we're talking, I like that launcher. Only prob is the front of it looks like its got white pixels on the edges. Even though I know its not, it does appear that way. It might not be possible to embellish the waffle cage just because of the resolution. That larger heat coil right on the end kinda does the job all by itself.

The others are throwing disks? (chakram?)

posted is a generally unmodified ES sniper rifle, the new palette glitched a little bit on its shading so I fixed it (normally wouldnt mind, but the ES weapons are kinda a big thing to unlock, as a kind of reward they should look snazzy like the arena weapons)

(...which reminds me of wanting to do a golden UT style flak cannon for the arena flak... which will probably be based on the UT4 version ive seen floating on the internet)

Edit:
The UT Flak Cannon became a reality, with a handob too.
And a second version with standard vertical orientation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:27:53 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:45:40 am »
If you want life to be easier then here's what's probably going to be the next iteration of the unhallowed palette mod:

first color (pure white hah hah hah) translucent o f c

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 04:56:00 am »
If you want life to be easier then here's what's probably going to be the next iteration of the unhallowed palette mod:
first color (pure white hah hah hah) translucent o f c

Ill keep it. But actually I still use my own (palettes.dat, compatible with vanilla) and I deleted the palettes rul file to keep the game from overriding it. However its got its own strengths and I may be migrating to it with the exception of the red palette range which id just modify in the .rul.

Thats just personal use on my end though. I dont know why they didnt go with my version of red. The adjustment I made for the ES sniper was just because I was noticing this splotch of difference up near the end of the barrel, and while it was less noticeable in vanilla that difference became stronger here. Normally I wouldn't care but the ES guns along with a variety of others are kinda prestigious to get in the game - hard fought or came with risks, so they should be presented as well as possible. I should probably check the other ES weapons to see if they have a problem.

Ooh I am glad they are going to go with a bona-fide Cyan just like TFTD had...

(I wonder if the TFTD sonics are gonna make it into the game... we already have the oscillator... it would be awesome on underwater missions to encounter deep ones that are literally fighting like TFTD except against the player who is always nerfed as hell underwater, and then have the weapons be practically unusable and only capable of being scrapped for aqua plastics).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:01:27 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:48 pm »
Very interesting stuff, RSS Wizard! Thumbs up!