Author Topic: Nightly build: UFO keeps crashing at monthly report at end of month  (Read 6133 times)

Offline schlang

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am facing a stupid issue with the nightly build that my game (UFO, not TFTD) keeps crashing at monthly report at end of month.
Unfortunately there is no stack trace in the log file so I have no clue what the error might be - is there any way to increase the logging category for the openxcom.log?

Currently I don't consider this a bug because I have some mods active (mostly changing graphics) so I won't create a bug report for it.
I am using the workaround to simply save the game at 23:59 at the end of month and then modify the savegame to change the date to the next day.

Thank you!

Cheers

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Nightly build: UFO keeps crashing at monthly report at end of month
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:23:25 am »
welcome. :)
please upload a copy of your save so we can analyze it

Offline schlang

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 02:27:52 am »
Awesome, thank you :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:46:28 am »
Awesome, thank you :)

You're missing north and south pacific in your save.

Add the following into your save on line 735 (just before - type: STR_NORTH_ATLANTIC) or use the fixed one I attached:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_NORTH_PACIFIC
    activityXcom:
    activityAlien:
  - type: STR_SOUTH_PACIFIC
    activityXcom:
    activityAlien:

PS: you may also want to move your pacific base a bit more west :) it's currently floating in the ocean... I think the terrain pack moved Hawaii to a different location than vanilla
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:48:34 am by Meridian »

Offline schlang

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 10:56:50 am »
Thank you so much!!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:48:20 pm »
yeah, it looks as though some mod or another has removed the region that contains hawaii, leading to this scenario when you build a base there.

Offline schlang

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 01:51:04 am »
Thanks for clearing things up - is there any way I can change logging to DEBUG or sth. or at least get a stack trace when it crashes?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:08:29 pm »
PS: you may also want to move your pacific base a bit more west :) it's currently floating in the ocean... I think the terrain pack moved Hawaii to a different location than vanilla

The Improved Globe mod (which was integrated into the Terrain Pack a while ago) moved the location of Hawaii closer to its real location, IIRC

Offline WaltC

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 04:56:17 am »
welcome. :)
please upload a copy of your save so we can analyze it

Very interesting--working with the 8/27/2017 1727 & 1734 UFO builds--*not* TftD--(both builds) Nightly I have a similar problem, I think--it occurs right after the beginning of the 2nd month, right around the first UFO encounter--as soon as I hit Intercept and then choose the vehicle, the game throws me back out to the desktop--with an error message that says something like:
[30-08-2017_22-36-30]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Interface geoCraftScreens not found
[30-08-2017_22-37-27]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Interface geoCraftScreens not found

...or something to that effect--no such file exists in any of the folders from what I could see.  I repeated this after reinstalling the game from scratch--crashes at the same time, after that save is loaded.

Before this I had used the 8/01/2017 0005 Nightly to save the game--so I reinstalled the 08/01 Nightly--and everything is *fine*--the crash no longer occurs after loading the same save!

I'm wondering if it could be some kind of savegame incompatibility between the 08/01 build and the 08/27 build?  What do you think?

Running on Win10x64, build 16278, AMD RX-480 8GB @ 2560x1440, Crimson 17.8.2s--simply put, 08/01/17 is rock solid--I can't *make it* crash...;) In fact, the crash I relate here is the only one I've had with the nightlies.  Great job, btw.

I am going to install 08/01/17 0005 again and report back here as to whether the game still crashes. 

Edit: Ok, reloaded same save back into 08/01/17 0005 and no problems at all--played for an hour past where both of the 08/27/17 were crashing--with the same error as I relate above.  Thought you might like to know.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:12:59 am by WaltC »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 11:13:49 am »
Very interesting--working with the 8/27/2017 1727 & 1734 UFO builds--*not* TftD--(both builds) Nightly I have a similar problem, I think--it occurs right after the beginning of the 2nd month, right around the first UFO encounter--as soon as I hit Intercept and then choose the vehicle, the game throws me back out to the desktop--with an error message that says something like:
[30-08-2017_22-36-30]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Interface geoCraftScreens not found
[30-08-2017_22-37-27]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Interface geoCraftScreens not found

...or something to that effect--no such file exists in any of the folders from what I could see.  I repeated this after reinstalling the game from scratch--crashes at the same time, after that save is loaded.

Before this I had used the 8/01/2017 0005 Nightly to save the game--so I reinstalled the 08/01 Nightly--and everything is *fine*--the crash no longer occurs after loading the same save!

I'm wondering if it could be some kind of savegame incompatibility between the 08/01 build and the 08/27 build?  What do you think?

Running on Win10x64, build 16278, AMD RX-480 8GB @ 2560x1440, Crimson 17.8.2s--simply put, 08/01/17 is rock solid--I can't *make it* crash...;) In fact, the crash I relate here is the only one I've had with the nightlies.  Great job, btw.

I am going to install 08/01/17 0005 again and report back here as to whether the game still crashes. 

Edit: Ok, reloaded same save back into 08/01/17 0005 and no problems at all--played for an hour past where both of the 08/27/17 were crashing--with the same error as I relate above.  Thought you might like to know.

Hi,

interface "geoCraftScreens" was present in file "standard\xcom1\interfaces.rul" and was removed/replaced in nightly "12.08.2017 18:50:39" by interface "geoCraft".

If you're getting the message "Interface geoCraftScreens not found", it means that you're using incompatible versions of executable file and data files... i.e. old executable file and new data files.

M.

Offline WaltC

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 04:57:42 am »
Hi,

interface "geoCraftScreens" was present in file "standard\xcom1\interfaces.rul" and was removed/replaced in nightly "12.08.2017 18:50:39" by interface "geoCraft".

If you're getting the message "Interface geoCraftScreens not found", it means that you're using incompatible versions of executable file and data files... i.e. old executable file and new data files.

M.

OK--thanks much for the response...!  I could have sworn that I installed to a fresh directory--but from what you say, I must have installed to the old directory and commingled the files...;)  Thanks again...I'll make an effort to install fresh to everything and get back here...OpenXcom & (Extended) is the only way to play these great games...!

EDIT:  Well, installed to brand new empty directories, and not even loading a save from the previous game--I get the exact same error, unfortunately.  For now, will revert to 08/01 0005--if you need any further info let me know.  Glad to help!

EDIT2: OK, in trying to troubleshoot the problem--it now looks like the problem lies in incompatibility between Extended OpenXcom version 3.9c (latest) and nightly builds after 08/01 0005--as atm the game is running fine--no repeats of the crashes that were coming regularly.  OpenXcom sans Extended mod looks like it's running like a top! (I thought I had tried that, too, yesterday...;)  Well, if I have trouble I'll get back and report.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:56:07 am by WaltC »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 10:30:41 am »
EDIT2: OK, in trying to troubleshoot the problem--it now looks like the problem lies in incompatibility between Extended OpenXcom version 3.9c (latest) and nightly builds after 08/01 0005--as atm the game is running fine--no repeats of the crashes that were coming regularly.  OpenXcom sans Extended mod looks like it's running like a top! (I thought I had tried that, too, yesterday...;)  Well, if I have trouble I'll get back and report.)

Yes, OXCE+ has its own data files... it doesn't work with OXC nightly data files.
You need to install OXCE+ the same way as you install nightly... with everything that's included in the download package, not only replace the EXE.

Offline WaltC

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 10:20:43 pm »
Yes, OXCE+ has its own data files... it doesn't work with OXC nightly data files.
You need to install OXCE+ the same way as you install nightly... with everything that's included in the download package, not only replace the EXE.

Yes, and thanks again!  Running very nicely atm!