Author Topic: Scout planes in Battlescape  (Read 3594 times)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
Scout planes in Battlescape
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:59:46 pm »
Has anybody tried that? The only "scout drone" I found so far was a 1x1 tank.

What I have in mind is a group of air scouts that makes a pass over the area at the start of each turn. Either they are launched from Skyranger before the mission start, or operatives launch them as needed and they continue flying after that. Of course, they can be shot down by enemies. A cheap (<$100) plastic radio-controlled airplane carrying a camera (and possibly a single grenade) is a realistic technology for 1990s. Even more than the tanks. No armor, but they are small targets and should be harder to hit.

Helicopters, quadrocopters and such are possible too, but I think they require more sophisticated electronics, which would make them much more expensive for 1990s.

Airplanes can't stop in the air, and I don't know how to handle that better. Maybe the player should set the starting and ending points at the edges of mission map for each drone at the start of each turn, and the drone would travel the straight line between them and disappear; if the end point is not the edge, the plane falls down and cannot launch itself (without a launcher in Skyranger); if the drone runs into unseen Floater/Ethereal/civilian standing on the roof, it also falls down. Or maybe the planes should be uncontrollable by player and just travel between random points an the edges each turn.

Yet another variant, that I like less, is a portable "camera plane launcher", similar to a rocket launcher, possibly lighter. When an area needs to be scouted quickly, an operative shoots camera planes that fly to the edge of the map. Either they are single-use, or reusable and recovered after mission.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Scout planes in Battlescape
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:16:02 pm »
I had such ideas, but ultimately decided that it would be worthwhile only if we could spawn it from an item, so it would not take up a soldier's place.
Could be a personal preference though, I don't use parrots and such.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:01:01 pm »
I had such ideas, but ultimately decided that it would be worthwhile only if we could spawn it from an item, so it would not take up a soldier's place.
Yes, I implied that. Planes are stored as items in the transport and are launched either at the mission start or by operatives. Or a gun that shoots winged cameras.

Can the engine do any of those?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:51:35 am »
Not possible right now, but planned in some manner - the spawning of a unit from an item at least.  Also, Xeno Operations has a nice UAV sprite for a 1x1 scout drone, and there's at dual-copter sprite around here that I've made a full spritesheet and inventory picture for.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:23:09 am »

I guess everyone is hoping for the miracle spawn weapon, me included, lots of turrets and possiblities will  arrise !

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:10:03 pm »
I guess everyone is hoping for the miracle spawn weapon, me included, lots of turrets and possiblities will  arrise !

Yes the aliens heaving something and it is a  Chryssalid grenade

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:26:06 pm »
Yes the aliens heaving something and it is a  Chryssalid grenade
Brainsucker throwers as in Apocalypse.

Not possible right now
How about a gun shooting cameras?
Also, Xeno Operations has a nice UAV sprite for a 1x1 scout drone, and there's at dual-copter sprite around here that I've made a full spritesheet and inventory picture for.
I think disposable helicopters in 1990s are unrealistic and unbalanced. And making them sufficiently expensive will make yet another hovertank. Haven't tried this mod, though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:31:28 pm by tkzv »