Author Topic: A mission idea  (Read 24870 times)

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A mission idea from news
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 11:17:46 pm »
Actually, chemtrails are already part of Hybrids' arc :) They add chemicals to airplane fuel to make people more "numb and docile".

It gets better and better

"...they first spray to makes us uncaring and docile, excited only by the lottery and which movie star is doing what to who;   likely followed up by the next big fog that will almost certainly be designed to transform the planet into THEIR world."

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:19 am »
Alright, so I have one for hybrids, involving vaccinations. A mission with a brainwashed population, a couple aliens, hybrids, and brainwashed civilians done in by tainted vaccinations. Could be a fun mission where killing off civilians incurs a VERY bad penalty, and you need to carefully neutralize (non fatally) ornery civilians with typical civilian weapons (knives, bats, shotguns, pistols) hybrids (with any weapon I suppose) and possibly a few aliens. Could end up with something for the "cult of Cyrus" arch, if this is done, mentioning stuff about pharmaceutical corruption. 

Would also frankly be a challenging mission, multi tasking between not killing civilians (imagine handling a child wielding a knife while an alien is trying to kill you) and killing extremely dangerous aliens. 

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 01:49:01 pm »
Sounds kind of anal to play, but I'll consider it. :3

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 05:54:25 pm »
That would kind of be the point solair : a mission specifically involving careful tactics and restraint. For an investigation beuru, xcom seems too damn trigger happy. it would be a necessary change of pace IMO

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »
That would kind of be the point solair : a mission specifically involving careful tactics and restraint. For an investigation beuru, xcom seems too damn trigger happy. it would be a necessary change of pace IMO

The trigger happy just comes from the players, it's not Solar's fault everbody is so bloodthirsty.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 06:30:00 pm »
What I'm getting at is, short of capturing suspects here and there for advancement, you can straight up nuke almost any situation without punishment. I would love for this to change up a little, so some missions, straight up gunning down everything in sight would end up with the council screaming at you.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 09:01:23 pm »
Seconding that. More missions where non-lethal weapons are required will bring more variety.

niculinux

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 01:16:54 am »
Seconding that. More missions where non-lethal weapons are required will bring more variety.

Would be a nice/nasty surprise but i gonna like these!

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 08:24:01 am »
More missions where non-lethal weapons are required will bring more variety.
Exactly. And again, xcom starts as an INVESTIGATIVE BEURU, yet they very much perform like a hit squad for swat or something.  Even with farmers, you can light up every person with a hail of lead, and face minimal consequences. A small town situation with xcom, saving hostile civilians from the aliens, and themselves, with JUST enough news coverage to look VERY nasty for xcom if they killed everyone, but not enough to put xcom under would be interesting, not to mention the pressure between not having your squad wiped from not shooting a young woman for stabbing your troop in the throat with a combat knife nor being shot with a plasma pistol totting sectoid, and trying not to gun down civilians on presumably live news coverage.

Around promotion 2, with Kevlar or armor, this would be a pheasable mission, with very high risk, very high reward early on (compared to promotion 3 and arial combat to shoot down UFO's)

It would also give the player a chance to use alternative tactics, like smoke screens to rush with tazers, using a tonfa and pistol together, and being calculated about overwatch / attacks

This was an element I really liked about piratez (a sharp guy with a 50 cal pistol? Do you try and capture him, risking a massive hole in you, or kill him and face the consequences of the government jumping down your throat for killing a CEO? Pick your poison) in that you really need to calculate between multiple risks and try to take the best course of action amid a shit show. Sure, you could indeed kill a few civilians, even all of them, but with camera crews watching, it would be very rough to explain, and xcom would be on trial for "police brutality" almost.

Even better if there was a brainwashed VIP there (a pastor, buisnessman, ect) who was the aliens target, and capturing / killing him would hold a very large stake in the outcome of the mission, with capturing giving xcom IMMENSE credit, and killing would make xcom out to look like a secret government hit squad, while aliens would look like benevolent protectors. I think it would be a superb mission that doesn't boil down to "more cultists, more guns, more daka!", like the current arch of most missions.

I'm not entirely sure how to make more discreet missions, but this was supposed to be inspired by the x-files right? I don't recall the x-files involving so many gun fights.

GRANTED, it IS your project solair, and I'm not trying to shit on it at all, its my favorite mod in a while! But I think a few missions that evolve past "shoot bad guys to win" would bring something good to the mod. Especially when capturing is mostly optional, beyond a 1 time capture per rank, it would be nice to get a more anal approach now and then for "alright, we NEED to capture this person alive, or there will be hell to pay".

Remember, just as police cannot go around shooting everyone who is a perceived threat, I think xcom in certain situations (at least outside cultists) should be held to the same standard : expected to use less than lethal means of force, to de-escalate, and solve problems with minimal destruction or loss of life.

...except for cultists, you know. Fuck those guys  ;). And farmers... Because they are very isolated anyway.

As for how the media would perceive it, perhaps they would see it as a "cult" in the town, speaking with strange creatures, unaware the "cult" is actually brainwashed townsfolk, and the strange creatures are nefarious aliens....they only have to go off of what they see happen, and if this is xcom killing off everyone, this will look very bad.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:39:44 am by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »
OK, I'll do it as soon as I have a good enough concept. Should not be too work intensive.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 06:29:12 pm »
Exactly. And again, xcom starts as an INVESTIGATIVE BUREAU, yet they very much perform like a hit squad for swat or something.  Even with farmers, you can light up every person with a hail of lead, and face minimal consequences.....snip .....and if this is xcom killing off everyone, this will look very bad.

Yes, if the game engine allows it, more of these  sorts of things to consider, I do not know if terror missions can have greater point loss per civilian killed by Xcom  specifically without increasing that point loss by those killed by aliens.  The Idea that if civilians are a high point loss if kiled by XCOM, on those types of missions the rocket tank, for example might better be left at the house and different tactics employed.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 09:14:50 pm »
Actually steam, I was thinking just a copy of how piratez did it, with different types of enemies armed or unarmed, with some giving positive points for killing (alliens) and some giving a NEGATIVE point value for killing (little kids charging you with knives, or mothers with shotguns).  It actually works pretty well, you need to carefully plan out reaction fire, and calculate who to shoot, who to hesitate on, and when to risk non fatal take downs.

And its not to say you absolutely CANNOT kill a mother with a hunting rifle, just you know if you blow away a mother / school teacher, the news will end up crucifying you for it, and the council will end up incredibly mad. This is what I loved about piratez, you COULD gundown a sharpguy if you needed, but you knew there would be some consequences...and you knew if you gunned down an entire transit vehicle full of civilians, you would DEFINITELY be consequences.

...Come to think of it, this might be an interesting MIB mission, if they are in the process or making an alien witness "disappear" and you need to capture the person alive before MIB does, and the person has been given a gun and told that XCOM is coming to kill them. So capturing a person to save them, who is actively trying to kill you. Even if they are a terrible shot and have low nerve, trying to capture a single person with a blackops pistol would be a slightly harrowing experience.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 02:07:43 am »
Inconsequential Ufopaedia entry, a piece of information that can be gained from a homicidal maniac. Or a low-ranking cultist. Or a farmer driven crazy. Or NASA tapes.
Doomsday Prophecy

On the 28th of November 1996, on the day of the Holy Martyr Steven, the world will crash into a heavenly axis.

This sounds familiar, but I can't pin it down... Anyway, we can rest assured this one was false.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 04:19:58 am »
Doesn't seem familiar to me, but I'm intrigued.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:49 am »
It's a quote from an obscure SF novel, with a changed year. It proved false there too.
Spoiler:
The Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov. The rumour caused by transformation of a dog into human. In the film it was given 3 days after the fact.
Something that sounds pompous ans scary, but proves ridiculous.