aliens

Author Topic: Finally started playing this  (Read 14394 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Finally started playing this
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 09:08:46 pm »
Patrols:  Rats will patrol, they are super slow (100 spd iirc) and look like a little echelon of brownish figures.  They may find you, they may assault, hard to tell.  The other most likely early crackdown will be nurses coming to reclaim you for Dr. X.  Yes, this is scripted and is part of the Dr. X story line.  Let them in, wipe them out, research the papers they drop.

Carapace:  Early rifles can wear them away slowly, if lucky.  Homefront rifles, etc, esp in the back.  The best is a Boarding Gun for more convincing damage.  This early though, your spiked mace or a axe is really the best solution.  This will put them down, and not leave your gal that failed to capture them extremely vulnerable.

Armor Size:  This does have an effect on likelihood of a hit.  Smaller targets are harder to hit, Larger, easier.  From what I can tell, the sizes basically increase the height of the hitbox of a target.

Still:  Locked behind Alchemy.  I waited on building out my second production base for this too. This campaign I got it in July, Year One.  There are things you can make with extractors early for some basic cash to cover expenses (flame arrows come to mind) but they pale beside X-Grog, and ofc Chateau.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 09:57:45 pm »
Those ratman patrols can be destroyed and they will after one hit from even the weakest craft weapon. Since they don't carry anything good, or valuable, so destroying them could save the time needed to kill every one of them in base and risk blood hound hunt in sewers.

Warrior suit is good against early shootgun pellets and pistol bullets, so it is usefull early in the game or for capturing civilians. One of hints in the game states: "Armor is good for those who get hit". Reliable tactic is two gals, shootgun scout in warrior armor and rifle sniper in camo paint are self sufficent. But those in carapace often carry gauss weaponry that one-shot kill despite warrior armor.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2017, 06:10:32 pm »
So, been playing for a while, but  after many sacrifices I finally started building the damn Workshop. Yay!!

At this point of the game (August 1st year) I feel a bit lost though. I began building a second base for production and storage to both get some money to pay the excessive maintenance costs as well as getting rid of some stuff. 

However, how long does it take to get better ships? I'm still stuck with the battery craft, which now that I got a contact which sells me craft weaponry I can actually use them to shoot down stuff (only the smallest ones though), but the worst part is the limited space to bring units and such. What's the fastest way to acquire/unlock a better ship? And are missiles worth it for the Airspeeder? Also, right now I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the enormous amount of weapons and ammo I can bring around, I have some preferences (especially "homemade" gear), but I would like to hear your choices, especially now that I found several contacts that let you buy some expensive stuff.

Speaking about unlocking, now I will soon use the Tiny Drill to open one of the Codex choices. Which one would be best for a Piratez's newbie? I kinda liked the mind control stuff from Xcom and the magic stuff of the mod, but I read that MC is not as good here, making the Gray Codex not as good as it should. Has the situation changed now with that Sorcerer outfit as well as the 3 Schools per Codex?

Another thing to ask is that I would like to know if there are outfits that completely nullify stun damage from undersea missions, I got that battery-ship to do those as well as have more units to deploy for specific missions but I'm unsure if they're worth doing.

As for hostages, any hints about how to best deal with them? Currently I like to research one or two at once by having 2 or 3 brainers investigating them, then enslaving the "spare copies". Are missions like these "church assaults" and "Trader Warehouses" infinite, or do they expire after several ingame months?

Lastly, here's my commentary about the new recruits: The Lokk'gars rock! They do wonders as snipers, archers and night-vision capable scouts, but they're quite fragile. At least now I have a reason to use "finesse-based" weapons like the rapier, but currently I don't know if they're viable for the entire game, as they have low hp and strength and little improvement regarding these. A research article to excplain their stats like that one for Female Ubers would be good, assuming there isn't one already.

Anyway, that's all for now, thank you for reading my posts and helping me so far!!

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 05:45:16 pm »
Speaking about unlocking, now I will soon use the Tiny Drill to open one of the Codex choices. Which one would be best for a Piratez's newbie? I kinda liked the mind control stuff from Xcom and the magic stuff of the mod, but I read that MC is not as good here, making the Gray Codex not as good as it should. Has the situation changed now with that Sorcerer outfit as well as the 3 Schools per Codex?

Can’t go wrong with gray. Mind control is still solid and gray gives you Fortuna which is a decent gunship and a relatively spacious transporter capable to enter both space and sea.