aliens

Author Topic: WWII  (Read 6019 times)

lechuck

WWII
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:32:00 pm »
Anyone ever consider doing a world war 2 mod for Xcom? It has been done for every other game out there, why not Xcom. Instead of fighting aliens, you fight the Germans (there could be the occasional Foo fighter spotted). instead of Mars the final mission could be a 3 stage Berlin map. Instead of 1 terror mission a month, various missions would appear like go secure that bridgehead, or clear out a small French village. Research would be a little different, researching weapons and radar would be the same, but you would progress the story by capturing officer's for interrogation that would trigger new missions to appear. There would be no Skyranger, so it;s get towed there in a glider, or paratroops.. What do you think?, could it be done?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: WWII
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:53:37 pm »
An ambitious, interesting project. OpenSilentStorm? Why not!

I have some WWII-related resources - or more accurately, Dioxine has it - so it would be an easier start.

lechuck

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
Silent Storm what a great engine for Xcom battles. I hope they release that code to open source one day.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 04:39:14 am »
Way back in the old days (like 1998 or so) someone tried this with old school PCK editing.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:15:57 am »
Way back in the old days (like 1998 or so) someone tried this with old school PCK editing.

he's actually registered on the forums, i had a good chat with him way back in 2012 discussing some of the features he'd be interested in.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,430.msg7436.html#msg7436

Offline Forez

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 03:01:42 pm »
Anyone ever consider doing a world war 2 mod for Xcom? It has been done for every other game out there, why not Xcom. Instead of fighting aliens, you fight the Germans (there could be the occasional Foo fighter spotted).
How about an alternative world where Nazis made a pact with Aliens or went to Mars before Americans went to Moon and / or we are fighting alien Nazis? The would throw at us humans, alien and hybrids / uber-soldiers

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 03:07:34 pm »
How about an alternative world where Nazis made a pact with Aliens or went to Mars before Americans went to Moon and / or we are fighting alien Nazis? The would throw at us humans, alien and hybrids / uber-soldiers
that is a no-go for me. In my point of view, it is racism, and we don't want German players to hate OXC, right?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »
that is a no-go for me. In my point of view, it is racism, and we don't want German players to hate OXC, right?

I understand not wanting to alienate Germans, but I don't think one more game about shooting Nazis would make a difference after all.

Also, sorry, but what does it have to do with racism? Nobody has said anything about races. Being German is not a race. :)

Not saying you should do it or anything, it's your mod... I just found the arguments rather misinformed, although in good faith.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:18:14 pm »
I understand not wanting to alienate Germans, but I don't think one more game about shooting Nazis would make a difference after all.

Also, sorry, but what does it have to do with racism? Nobody has said anything about races. Being German is not a race. :)

Not saying you should do it or anything, it's your mod... I just found the arguments rather misinformed, although in good faith.
Well, I did said it was my point of view, I just don't want any conflict with the Germans regarding such idea

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:37:54 pm »
german people and nazis are two seperate groups. just putting that out there.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:37 pm »
It has been done for every other game out there, why not Xcom.
I don't remember having seen a minesweeper or settlers mod, covering that topic. ;-)
german people and nazis are two seperate groups. just putting that out there.
I concur. In fact, there are a lot of Germans (probably most of them) who wouldn't have a problem with any of this, as they aren't exactly fond of what their ancestors did, either. On the other hand, there are plenty of other war-like topic in the human history. Choose a scenario...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 08:48:26 pm »
Let's get back on topic maybe...

So, what would this "X-Com" be? The Dirty Dozen? Or something completely different?

Will there be a sci-fi aspect? Secret superweapons, laser MGs, mutated SS?

lechuck

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 03:11:35 am »
It's open for discussion, could keep it true to history or have a sci-fi story to it. UFO's were seen and photographed by fighter and bomber crews they called them Foo fighters. I think it would be cool to have a base in england with Spitfires. sending them out on patrols looking for bombers to shoot down.