Author Topic: [DONE] [Suggestion] Sequential GetOneFree  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[DONE] [Suggestion] Sequential GetOneFree
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:19:52 am »
3. I feel the Alien Data Slates/Leader/Commander research is a bit wonky. I think there should be an order in how the research is given: Fusion Explosives (unlocking grenades/elerium bomb), then the delta radiation for stun launchers, then optronics and other related research, then plasma, fusion and finally antimatter for rail guns. You could change the research on Nuclear Lasers to come in after fusion/optronics, rather than introducing it with rail tech. It makes nuclear lasers available and useful. It also puts rail guns all the way at the back. As powerful as they are, that's fitting. Even if you run into sectopods early, they can be killed with high explosives/incendiaries/heavy guass (Had to do that during a terror mission)

Unfortunately the engine won't let me do this; all getOneFree researches must be equal.

Added.

Code: [Select]
extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_GIVES_ONE_FOR_FREE: "Gives one for free:"
      STR_GIVES_ONE_FOR_FREE_SEQ: "Gives one for free (sequential):"
research:
  - name: STR_SECTOID_NAVIGATOR
    sequentialGetOneFree: true # below topics will be given in sequential order, not random
    getOneFree:
      - STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH
      - STR_ALIEN_HARVEST
      - STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION
      - STR_ALIEN_INFILTRATION
      - STR_ALIEN_BASE
      - STR_ALIEN_TERROR
      - STR_ALIEN_RETALIATION
      - STR_ALIEN_SUPPLY
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:05:21 pm by Meridian »

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Sequential GetOneFree
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:37:00 am »
If it's sequential it can be gamed though. That may or may not be an issue, but how about a weighted random approach?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:02:48 pm »
How can it be gamed?
The modder decides if it's sequential or random.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:10:42 pm »
It's a nice surprise out of nowhere. I don't have any actual ideas on how to use it yet, but it certainly has its uses.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:20:36 pm »
It's a nice surprise out of nowhere. I don't have any actual ideas on how to use it yet, but it certainly has its uses.

How about alien data slates? :)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:28:27 pm »
How can it be gamed?
The modder decides if it's sequential or random.

My thinking was that as a player, knowing that the sequential system is used, you can determine which free techs you can't easily get by other means, then hold off on researching the parent tech until you've crossed off the ones before that.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 08:09:42 pm »
How about alien data slates? :)

I meant more something like, why would it be sequential? I can imagine it would work if there was a specific branch with "tiers", which can only be discovered if you know the previous step. It's a valid idea, but would require planning for it in advance, so it's hard to just shoehorn it into an existing mod. With time, maybe.

My thinking was that as a player, knowing that the sequential system is used, you can determine which free techs you can't easily get by other means, then hold off on researching the parent tech until you've crossed off the ones before that.

Yes, but it's only a valid concern if you can do that as a player. Nobody said these researches can be found anywhere else at all. It's a modder's decision.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 09:43:23 pm »

Fair enough. Valid point.

I guess I can only add, feel free not using this option...

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:18 pm »
Yes, but it's only a valid concern if you can do that as a player. Nobody said these researches can be found anywhere else at all. It's a modder's decision.

You're completely right. The sequential system in itself is not problematic if used appropriately.

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 08:35:56 pm »
I was thinking how to use alive aliens more controlled for advanced researches.. This is very good for it because for an advanced research you will need 5 engineer and rather then getting it at first one with luck, now you need to more of them to get that tech..

But what happens if there is many things with same sequential getones?.. for example i researched an sectoid engineer, and i got a snakeman engineer.. so snakeman will give me the 2. research?.. what happens if the lists are not same but got some same free ones?

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:01:56 pm »
I assume you just get the first tech on the list that isn't yet researched.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:10:46 pm »
I was thinking how to use alive aliens more controlled for advanced researches.. This is very good for it because for an advanced research you will need 5 engineer and rather then getting it at first one with luck, now you need to more of them to get that tech..

But what happens if there is many things with same sequential getones?.. for example i researched an sectoid engineer, and i got a snakeman engineer.. so snakeman will give me the 2. research?.. what happens if the lists are not same but got some same free ones?

OpenXcom runs on one processor only... there is absolutely nothing parallel in it... everything is essentially sequential.
If you're not sure what happens when 2 research topics are done on the same day... just think what would happen if they happened on different days... it's the same... one of them has to happen first, the other happens one millisecond later.