Author Topic: Cydonia or Bust! Kiri's question thread. Game complete!  (Read 87422 times)

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Getting trashed lol. New question thread
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2017, 11:10:29 pm »
Well I've been gambling with the tesla coil and it works so far. So foes the stun bomb but they wake up too fast and the tesla coils wounds them enough to keep them out, then I just grab them and run from the fight. I've got a novice, a guardian and an operative now, all I need is a coordinator. Where do coordinators appear? Is it only the silver towers or are they in other ships as well?

Offline SomeGuy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2017, 11:14:57 pm »
Probably appear during pogroms. Silver towers look like a pain to shoot down, but haven't even seen any of them even spawn.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:08 pm »
I saw them in year 1 but never since, but now star gods are appearing a lot I might see one. Statistically it doesnt seem much worse than a destroyer. It's shots are very accurate but it's also a bit squishier.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2017, 11:32:11 pm »
I saw them in year 1 but never since, but now star gods are appearing a lot I might see one. Statistically it doesnt seem much worse than a destroyer. It's shots are very accurate but it's also a bit squishier.

Silver towers - "squishier".  Thanks for the laugh!

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:02 am »
Didnt see the shields lol

Well there wasnt a coordinator on a destroyer but there was like 10 sectopods. Lost a soldier there sadly but got more captives and loot, can at least make my own heavy plasma ammo now

I think I'll just keep waiting for smugglers til I get lucky, what's the appearance rate for public enemies?

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:07 am »
Just wanna chime in to a couple of old questions.

To research activities: commercial it says I need a "secure freight" I've seen ships on this mission but they didn't have a "secure freight" item on board. It seems a fighter appears first and if I don't shoot it down then a big freighter appears that I can't shoot down and doesn't land so I can't raid that one, am I supposed to get to the point where I can shoot one down and raid it to get a "secure freight" item that I can research?

That's pretty much it.  The only way to research Secure Freight is to shoot down and raid a heavy freighter; the guild rep there carries an item that lets you research the Secure Freight topic, so be careful not to blow her up.

I'm on a terror mission right now and trying to capture a live cyberdisc, but the ones I hit with a handle don't go down (I assume they have high concussion resistance) and the ones I hit with a tesla coil explode. How do I capture one? I already wrecked one without it exploding so I will have a cyberdisc wreck but I'd like an intact one

You actually can't capture a cyberdisc, the live disassembly is there just in case you somehow do capture one which should normally be impossible.  I know this because I also asked how to capture a live cyberdisc and that's the answer that I got.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2017, 11:36:37 am »
Ok, hmm. Having no luck finding a public enemy. I'm thinking of building a big fleet of interceptors to drop a star god battleship or silver towers. Any suggestions as to what craft and weapons woudl be best?

Has anyone ever done this or do they always take down public enemies instead?

Do coordinators only appear in silver towers?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:48:37 pm by KiriKaneko »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2017, 05:28:57 pm »
Stargods are unfortunately exceptionally resistant to daze type damage(50% or better). Most weapons will bounce off the combination of resist and moderate armor. Ironically the least lethal way to capture stargods is voodoo skills/weapons. While they are very resistant to such things, most voodoo largely ignores/strips armor and are very powerful.

Small launchers are about a 30% chance to do any damage. Most voodoo by comparison will average 10-20.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2017, 06:15:28 pm »
The tesla coil is highly effective but has about a 33% lethality rate, and they either wake up very fast or die quickly of system shock so  either need to get my KOs last or KO my target then grab them and run back to the landing craft before they wake up which is what I ended up doing. I'd hate to sink a lot of resources into dropping a silver towers only to kill the coordinator by accident though. What VooDoo is best for non lethal capture? Wand of Peace? All my soldiers have 50-60 voodoo power and 40 voodoo skill but due to being unable to find any gems I can't make any decent voodoo outfits

I tried looking in the game files but I can't find any section that refers to where specific units appear. I know that the star god coordinators are called ethereal commanders in the files but that's all, no clue as to where they appear. Perhaps they can be on battleships and bases like in UFO defense? But the star gods don't have any bases so I'll have to get ready to shoot down a battleship I guess
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:42:33 pm by KiriKaneko »

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »
Just like in vanilla, they spawn in bases, on crackdowns and on cruisers (vanilla battleships == piratez cruisers) + a few more ship types, like hotrod and silver towers.

Anything that deals charm\mind damage will work well enough on them. They are resistant to these types of damage too, charm\mind attacks either bypass armor or damage it (or both), so it's not a big deal.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2017, 07:33:36 pm »
Thanks for the good info! I see both battleships and cruisers in this game. So coordinators appear on cruisers but not on battleships? Or are you saying that battleships are cruisers? I'll try to bait them into a crackdown on my main base if I can but it's not really something I can control and they never try to find my europe base it seems like.

I was just about to build a fleet to down a silver towers or a battleship. We can already take cruisers so I'll bring a cruiser down if they appear on that, but if you mean battleships then I need more firepower. I was thinking of 12 barracudas as my ultimate attack fleet. To reduce the chance of being taken down suddenly I will equip each one with 2 LT shield generators, and I'll give them 2 ripper cannons for the very high damage per second. While they will lose some accuracy, they get a 200% aim bonus for the v large size, and a additional aim bonus for being 120aim with the sniper outfit equipped. This should ensure that due to the high damage and fire rate of the craft the 2 LT shield generators will give time to pull back when shields reach 35-50% yet allow plenty of firing time, and with 12 craft I can quickly replace retreating interceptors with reserves to keep a constant fire rate. The battleships usually don't move all that fast while searching or peacekeeping so the low barracuda speed is a non issue, and with 1 pilot each I can easily have 12 fully trained interceptor pilots if I pull a few from my A team.

None of this matters if coordinators do really appear on cruisers though. You said cruisers == battleships, do you mean they have identical crews or that when you say cruiser what you mean is battleship?

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2017, 07:46:09 pm »
I just researched tractor beam and it says it can force a landing. Can I put like 4 tractor beams on 4 dragons for a total of 16, and then instantly force anything I want to land? If I send 4 dragons and have my landing craft there as well then perhaps it will give me the option to board them while they've been forced to land? If so, I need to know how to make a stormtrooper outfit
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:49:15 pm by KiriKaneko »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
I just researched tractor beam and it says it can force a landing. Can I put like 4 tractor beams on 4 dragons for a total of 16, and then instantly force anything I want to land? If I send 4 dragons and have my landing craft there as well then perhaps it will give me the option to board them while they've been forced to land? If so, I need to know how to make a stormtrooper outfit

Not everything, you'd only be able to force landings on very large shippings up to 3200 max speed with 16 total beams, and larges up to 6400 max speed.  Anything medium or smaller would be pretty easy to force to the ground.  For the larger stuff, they just help prevent the shipping from outrunning you.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2017, 08:02:09 pm »
Ah well, barracudas it is then. Thanks! So star god coordinators appear on cruisers?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:11 pm »
My favorite way to get a coordinator is to incite a crackdown - getting your base attacked is a good way to guarantee the presence of a VIP.