Author Topic: Cydonia or Bust! Kiri's question thread. Game complete!  (Read 85560 times)

Offline SomeGuy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Getting trashed lol. New question thread
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2017, 01:04:54 pm »
They'll probably appear some time in the future. In my 3 years in-game still haven't fought any Smugglers and only a few Reticulans in early-sih game, none since. Good thing only Mercs appeared once I already had some decent laser weapons but haven't seen any since. Wish you could do something to anger or fool certain factions and make them do something, like something along the lines of spreading false information about underground minerals which would make more excavators spawn and so on. But not like I'd know if something like that would be possible.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2017, 01:15:08 pm »
Maybe make it so a single ship from that faction spawns on some kind of public relations mission, shooting it down causes a massive backlash from the faction that owned it the next month. Since shooting down normal ships can already causes crackdowns I think perhaps this might be possible?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2017, 02:20:50 pm »
Not really; crackdowns can't be controlled like this.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2017, 10:49:31 pm »
Ah, russian files quest is evil! Lost one of my A team, and the others were badly wounded. Had to kill like 10 tanks. Hope these files were worth it T_T

Well I got my reticulan elder. Now I'm just waiting for spartans. I've got my training base complete and pumping out 50+ power, 60+ reactions and well trained soldiers. Now that I can defend bases properly I am switching my cheap and disposable workshop bases into factory bases with surgeries (the magical girl ships and some high level ships like shrine I raided had surgery units in). With this I can afford my big army and buy my VIPs, so I just need a couple of spartan engineers, and then I'll use the annihilator armor to capture my star gods to finish off my plasma tech. Not sure if I should bother though since the 37mm rifle seems to hit harder than even heavy plasma, and there are fewer enemies with pierce resistance. I'll still need the star god cydonia codes but I'll probably get them from a smuggler star god. Then I'll probably just be training my full A team and building a star ship

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2017, 11:13:21 pm »
With version 0.99G6 that's available on the discord, each codex now gives 3 of the voodoo schools.

Yep, you're right. I stand corrected.

Ah, russian files quest is evil! Lost one of my A team, and the others were badly wounded. Had to kill like 10 tanks. Hope these files were worth it T_T

Yes, the mission is one of the more difficult, and it unlocks access to upgraded lasers which do not require ammunition.

Not sure if I should bother though since the 37mm rifle seems to hit harder than even heavy plasma, and there are fewer enemies with pierce resistance.
37mm rifle has 100 damage, heavy plasma has 115, autofire, ammo can be looted, and the gun itself is very light compared to 37mm rifle. Also, mercenaries, the second-worst faction to face against, are resistant to piercing damage.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
Yeah, mercs are really annoying like that, they also have the stats to give their gauss rifles some high damage. 37mm rifle can still kill them tho but it typically takes about 3-4 shots although 1-2 shots gets them bleeding and I usually ignore the bleeders to avoid taking more reaction fire. Problem is the academy and the star gods are plasma resistant, as are a lot of terror units but I never see anything that's massively resistant to piercing that also has very high armor so there's nothing my 37mm rifles can't take down. Additionally they have a decent clip size, at 120 aim they are very accurate within 15 squares for snapshot 2 shots, and massively accurate with aimed shot across the entire map with a TU cost that let's me walk a couple of squares, fire and walk back again while wearing harbinger armor

IMO the faction difficulty is:
1) Star Gods - total psi screw, invisibility, flying, sectopods, super tanky things they bring with them
2) Church - a close second because of chrysalids, and also they get some psi from reverends/cardinal which can be hard to track down, and flying church exalts which can come rushing up on your flank and chop you to pieces. Really it's the chrysalids/psi combo that makes them hell, sometimes the chrysalids derp out but when they're taking it seriously they're just awful, but I'd imagine this wouldn't be so bad with psi resistant, flying annihilator armor
3) Academy - Because these guys get psi too. Now I'm using 50 voodoo power people it's not too terrible, and at least they go for psi panic over mind control but the panic has led to some of my people running out into the open and dying quite a few times in situations we otherwise had well under control. The cyberdisks were terrifying pre-power armor but they barely damage harbinger, even if they're tanky to piercing damage. They don't have any units that can one shot us, except maybe the exalts and only then if they're very lucky and don't spend too much TU reaching us
4) Mercenaries - No psi, no particularly terrifying terror units. Their gauss hurt like hell and with their reactions they cause consistent wounds, some can also fly into my ship elevators as well so I have to be careful about keeping track of them. But in the end they're just tanky units with high reactions, half of them fly and they do consistent moderate damage, inflicting wound recovery time, but have no instant death attacks
5) Traders - Their tanks can one shot my harbinger users rarely and consistently inflict damage with retal fire, but they aren't all that accurate and this is really the only dangerous thing that they have. No psi, no chrysalids, low damage with their gauss/plasma rifles that rarely gets through armor.

Aside from the consistent low level damage they cause which inflicts wound recovery time I think mercenaries are one of the safest factions to fight since they don't have any source of instant death or mind screw that the other factions have, the difficulty for me comes from psi > units that can one shot me > units that are generally well armoured and can hurt us

Does anyone know what the formula is for crackdowns. I've been dealing with like 20 crackdown missions searching for me a month and I've resorted to only shooting down the crackdown ships now. It's like the crackdowns are spawning more crackdowns

Is there a better weapon than the tech blade for melee?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:19:30 pm by KiriKaneko »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2017, 08:33:11 pm »
Sounds like the infinite crackdown bug is back. 20 a month is well outside anything i've experienced even in my one campaign that ran 7 years(bad tech RNG).

Quite a few melee items better then the tech blade. Axes variants mostly for higher damage. Hellblade is probably the pinnacle of potential melee damage. That said past about 40 base damage the stat scaling is generally sufficient to handle just about anything. Doing 60-80 per 10-20 TU(or more) is immensely efficient.   

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2017, 08:51:53 pm »
Just saying: electro-sword is a direct upgrade to tech blade, better damage, better scaling, faster, no +xx% armor, bonus shock damage...

You can praise that rifle as much as you won't, but I won't use something that requires me to wear power armor if I want to also carry sidehandle\grenades\medikit\etc  :P. Besides, heavy plasma is superior in many ways to the 37mm rifle, and with the sheer raw damage resists are little problem.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2017, 10:33:24 pm »
Isn't that like saying: "This gun would be great, but it's a shame I have to open my eyes to use it"

Why wouldn't you be using power armor? :P

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2017, 11:08:32 pm »

There are ppl who think the TU malus isn't worth it.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2017, 12:01:02 am »
You get a TU malus anyway when an enemy unit sees the left buttcheek of your person reflected off the tears of a dying sparrow through a window and reaction shots them, leaving you with a 80 TU person fresh out of the training base XD

Annihilator suit gives a TU bonus anyway doesnt it?

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2017, 12:33:50 am »
Annihilator suit gives a TU bonus anyway doesnt it?

Yeah, and Superhero, too.

Another way to Counter reaction fire related demise would be armor that enhances reactions - like again annihilator, but aslo chromeback. Chromeback is much easier to get.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2017, 12:56:05 am »

Power armor is expensive, uses rare parts, tanks TUs and energy recovery, thus hampering my attempts to use melee. Sure it's good for those who don't move around much, but I, sadly, do move around much and I'm just about fed up of my gals running out of energy.

Annihilator suit doesn't give a TU bonus, it just confers no penalty. Also, it's an end-game armor.

You get a TU malus anyway when an enemy unit sees the left buttcheek of your person reflected off the tears of a dying sparrow through a window and reaction shots them, leaving you with a 80 TU person fresh out of the training base XD

What. Just because I don't like power armor, doesn't mean I'm sending my soldiers in combat naked. They just use lighter armors, like guardian, or soon-to-be-manufactured assault armor. It's pretty fast with +5 TU and +20 reactions, and decently armored too. I also use (gasp) outfits with 20 armor, though with these I'm extra careful.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2017, 01:08:47 am »
I love that admiral outfit, it's so damn cool lol

I really need gems for a magical girl outfit but as far as I know the only source is from underwater chests. I've done like 10 so far and all I get is garbage, no treasure chests :/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:18:58 pm by KiriKaneko »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2017, 09:27:01 pm »
Mansion Missions give you treasure chest too.
Depending on difficult setting alot of dudes too punch through with infiltration-only gear.