Author Topic: Cydonia or Bust! Kiri's question thread. Game complete!  (Read 87460 times)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: Getting trashed lol. New question thread
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2017, 02:54:00 pm »
I'll try to get the base supply ships, camp for 20 turns and finish the map, see if I can find any power armor guys among the survivors of the explosion.

I don't wanna spoiler you but I highly recommend you to not camp a supply ship.
You're FORCED to take quick actions against those. They selfdestruct at the start of turn 20 or 21, causing an auto-retreat like the mansion-style missions.
Everyone outside the ship is MIA and if you have no gal in your dropship it counts as ship lost too.
Camping a supplyship 20 turns is the reason why this feature was implemented and I think it's a smart choice since the factions strictly tries to deny thier goods to pirates, thus nuking it is way more appealing than leaving a handfull of survivors to duke it out.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2017, 03:10:04 pm »
Well I knew they blew up since it happened in the previous version I played (2 versions ago). But the mission didnt auto-end and I was free to mop up

Can I go to those missions, camp the base til the last turn and wait for a power armor guy to get close and then jump out, cut him into pieces with axes and tech blades, then drag his body into the ship and get power armor parts that way? Does the corpse count as the power armor loot or does it take a successful mission to get the power armor parts? If so then the only other thing I can think of is to try to capture 2 of them, research 1 and then enslave the other for the parts as loot.

Meanwhile I'm working towards mercenary contacts, I remember last version you could buy marsec bodyguard captives, I'll buy 2 if I have to tho it would suck up a lot of cash

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »
A dead bodyguard is converted into power armor parts.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2017, 05:25:55 pm »
But if I kill a bodyguard, grab his corpse and bring it into the ship and retreat, will I get the power armor parts, or do I have to finish the mission?

Btw does anyone have any recommendations on defensible ships? I try to keep my people alive and the most effective way to do it I find is to engage the enemy from my ship

I've been using the Shadowbat but I have a few issues with it:
Glitch means I can bring 7 people max
Can't see underneath the wings from on top of them, meaning enemies can stand under and surprise me if they can fly (church exalt. Chrysalids or dogs running into my ship with their high TU)
Landing ramp let's me see in 3 direction, but the one we cant see is a bit of a blind corner that we need to step around in order to see around and can result in me being ambushed. Staircases on the ramp slow down our movement stepping in and out, and require people on the stairs to crouch in order to see through the door
Requires 4 people to effectively block the doorways (2 if only the stairs) and this leaves me terrified of AoE weapon reaction fire
Control room blocks vision from the wings meaning a flying enemy can hug the small blind spot on the back and ambush

But it has quite a few advantages too:
4 people can fire from the doorways without moving, 2 can fire from the elevators moving only up and down.
Elevators give a high up (level 2) vision of the battlefield from the very beginning and make it easier to connect with arcing explosives over a long distance without risk of return fire
Inner staircase is a strong chokepoint, allowing us to camp the elevator rooms, enemies coming up the stairs have to burn a lot of TUs, we will hear the doors opening if there aren't other sliding doors
Fairly spacious inside, I can keep people spread a bit if I need to
Can keep a couple of people in the control room and bring them down if an enemy comes inside, less risk (saved me from an exalt massacre when they came in though the elevators, these 2 survived)
Can stand on the wings and block the elevators, renders dogs, werewolves and lids ineffective
Well lit outside (night is more of an obstruction to me than the enemy)
Inside favors melee (usually my advantage)
I don't think vehicles can get up the stairs since they're pressed against the doors, means we can bait infantry inside while leaving tanks, reapers, cyberdiscs etc outside
Item pile is nowhere near the doors, not so likely to be vaporized by explosives
The control room as an obstacle means we can fire at enemies without reaction fire by launching grenades over the top of the control room

Does anyone have suggestions on other good defensive ships? What I really would like is:
1) Around 10 people
2) Bigger ship, means we can spread out more and camp positions effectively in the event that we need to lure enemies inside to melee them
3) More elevators
4) Better vision all around
5) High and broader rooftop with elevator access, means we can keep a mortar up there permanently and not have it fired upon except by flyers

I really doubt there's actually anything better than this, the shadowbat is a total deathtrap and if not for the glitch it would be extremely OP I think. Just wondering if anyone has any other good defensive suggestions. Or maybe pics of the ships on the battlescape?

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2017, 06:06:52 pm »
Yes, you can grab a corpse and it will register. Anything that is inside your craft when you retreat will.

Any craft with doors is defensible, but if you want something with ~elevators~, look no further than conqueror! It has no less than 12 elevators for gals and 1 for your tank, can field 36 soldiers, looks awesome and can even take you to Cydonia! The only problem is that is end-game craft, and you'll need a lot of money and a lot of resources to build it.

Now seriously, very few crafts rely on elevators. You might want to try out jellyfish, but it's probably codex-locked. I personally use turtle (pictured on a screenshot), it can carry 12 people, requires no fuel, and can with a little (3 reticulan fusion reactors basically) investment reach 2950 speed, AND it's also available to users of golden codex! It looks pretty simple, but these doors provide a lot for those who are willing to camp a little. Step out of a door, fire a bit, step back inside. Repeat until surroundings are safe.

It's still my mainstay dropship, mainly because I wasn't researching crafts too much. Though I did get to the TRITON, which is pretty good secondary craft. Uses no fuel, carries 15 people, has only 1 huge door, which is not very convenient...

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2017, 06:58:34 pm »
Ugh. Cowardly pirates.

Offline SomeGuy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2017, 07:04:41 pm »
Leave ship turn 1 or don't leave the ship at all! But in all honesty, leaving the ship on turn one isn't all that bad. . . excluding Siberian base. . . heavy freighter, any star god shipping . . .and that's about it. Oh, and mercenaries I guess.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2017, 07:06:55 pm »
Well, I don't want to eat a nuke on turn one, or at all, sorry. Otherwise I don't really camp that much, since there's no need to, but when I do, simple doors are a godsend.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:54 pm »
But if I kill a bodyguard, grab his corpse and bring it into the ship and retreat, will I get the power armor parts, or do I have to finish the mission?

Btw does anyone have any recommendations on defensible ships? I try to keep my people alive and the most effective way to do it I find is to engage the enemy from my ship

I've been using the Shadowbat but I have a few issues with it:
Glitch means I can bring 7 people max
Can't see underneath the wings from on top of them, meaning enemies can stand under and surprise me if they can fly (church exalt. Chrysalids or dogs running into my ship with their high TU)
Landing ramp let's me see in 3 direction, but the one we cant see is a bit of a blind corner that we need to step around in order to see around and can result in me being ambushed. Staircases on the ramp slow down our movement stepping in and out, and require people on the stairs to crouch in order to see through the door
Requires 4 people to effectively block the doorways (2 if only the stairs) and this leaves me terrified of AoE weapon reaction fire
Control room blocks vision from the wings meaning a flying enemy can hug the small blind spot on the back and ambush

But it has quite a few advantages too:
4 people can fire from the doorways without moving, 2 can fire from the elevators moving only up and down.
Elevators give a high up (level 2) vision of the battlefield from the very beginning and make it easier to connect with arcing explosives over a long distance without risk of return fire
Inner staircase is a strong chokepoint, allowing us to camp the elevator rooms, enemies coming up the stairs have to burn a lot of TUs, we will hear the doors opening if there aren't other sliding doors
Fairly spacious inside, I can keep people spread a bit if I need to
Can keep a couple of people in the control room and bring them down if an enemy comes inside, less risk (saved me from an exalt massacre when they came in though the elevators, these 2 survived)
Can stand on the wings and block the elevators, renders dogs, werewolves and lids ineffective
Well lit outside (night is more of an obstruction to me than the enemy)
Inside favors melee (usually my advantage)
I don't think vehicles can get up the stairs since they're pressed against the doors, means we can bait infantry inside while leaving tanks, reapers, cyberdiscs etc outside
Item pile is nowhere near the doors, not so likely to be vaporized by explosives
The control room as an obstacle means we can fire at enemies without reaction fire by launching grenades over the top of the control room

Does anyone have suggestions on other good defensive ships? What I really would like is:
1) Around 10 people
2) Bigger ship, means we can spread out more and camp positions effectively in the event that we need to lure enemies inside to melee them
3) More elevators
4) Better vision all around
5) High and broader rooftop with elevator access, means we can keep a mortar up there permanently and not have it fired upon except by flyers

I really doubt there's actually anything better than this, the shadowbat is a total deathtrap and if not for the glitch it would be extremely OP I think. Just wondering if anyone has any other good defensive suggestions. Or maybe pics of the ships on the battlescape?

Sorry but... the shadowbat have elevators? Where?

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:18 pm »
That's a nice picture thank. It looks like a nice ship but the doors only open on one side, fast enemies could easily run around and attack

I take a very slow and methodical approach to gaming. I don't mind staying in the landing craft for most of the mission if it gives me better results. It does get boring eventually, and I end up leaving the landing craft but then get punished heavily and reminded of why I was playing it safe to begin with. No matter how careful you are being there is the risk of reaction fire if you miss or fail to kill, enemies shooting you as you try to approach into melee range, enemies positioning themselves so they can rush you next turn but if you go out to melee them then you won't have the TU to get back into cover, blind spots where enemeis could be but if you go to check then you'll burn too much TU and energy, enemies who are positioned looking out of windows but positioned farther back in the room so you can't see them at first but you can still take reaction fire if you move onto certain tiles.

I'll generally try to get armor that protects me against enemy attacks almost completely and then play it more loose to save time. If I'm reasonably sure I can't be hurt much (low grade lasers such as reticulans, guild security with AP shotgun ammo, the risk of taking shots to the back from a building I haven't fully explored) then I'll advance but play it cautiously, letting my energy recharge, staying in full cover when I can, maintaining a perimeter line and then sweeping the map so as to avoid attacks from behind etc. But still, there are missions with things like mid tier laser enemies, dogs, red dogs, zombies, any spartans, church exalts, ghouls with the chem shotguns, humanists on progroms with their plasma guns etc where I will play it extremely safe and usually attempt to kill everything in sight unless it is a unit type I am searching for and really want to have. I'll camp the landing craft and completely level the landscape

I know it's not a fun playstyle to watch and probably not how the game was intended to be played, but there's always a certain amount of luck involved, and a catastrophic failure can sink an entire campaign and all the hours sunk into it which is something I would very much like to avoid. I've lost my fair share of XCOM 2012 LW games that I've learned to play cautiously and leave very little to chance since it sucks to lose tens or even hundreds of hours of gametime and have to give up or start over

The shadowbat does indeed have elevators. I think they're technically ladder but they function like elevators with my character levitating up and down them. There is one on each wing and they allow a 360 degree vision range around each wing, only issue is it can be hard to see under the craft and enemies can approach unnoticed using buildings or tree for cover

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:55 pm »
AHH!

I need help. I just noticed a craft on a direct course to my south america base moving at 7500. Of the ships I have researched the only one that can move that fast is a boarding torpedo. I assume this is a crackdown ship but could it be it doesn't know about my base yet or is it guaranteed to be a base attack? What will happen if I dismantle the base for money before it hits, will it crash the game or something? Is it even guaranteed to be an attack or could it be searching?

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2017, 11:02:43 pm »
AHH!

I need help. I just noticed a craft on a direct course to my south america base moving at 7500. Of the ships I have researched the only one that can move that fast is a boarding torpedo. I assume this is a crackdown ship but could it be it doesn't know about my base yet or is it guaranteed to be a base attack? What will happen if I dismantle the base for money before it hits, will it crash the game or something? Is it even guaranteed to be an attack or could it be searching?

Yes, it is a boarding torpedo, yes, it is coming for you, and yes, you can pack up and run. The game won`t crash.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2017, 11:07:40 pm »
Thankyou. This is a shame, that base was fairly well developed but at least they didn't detect any bases the last 2 months. All my other bases will have 5 hideout shrouds by the end of the month so hopefully I'll lose no more than 2 bases a year after this

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »
The nice thing about OpenXcom is that it fixes those pesky vanilla Xcom bugs.  So if a UFO dead set on a base attack finds nothing upon reaching its destination, it'll simply disappear back into space instead of heading to another Xcom base and then just hanging there forever.

Oddly, the boarding torpedo has a battlescape map unlike the shippings that aren't meant to be fought on the battlescape like ratmen patrols and comm waves (those just get represented by a scout).  Does that mean that it's actually somehow possible to intercept and crash land a boarding torpedo?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2017, 09:35:58 pm »
None of the available interceptors are capable of reaching 7500 speed.
The sabre (ultimate fighter) should be able to reach 6500 speed using 2x thrusters instead of missles.
Put on the "base defense pants" the freaks are about to hit the bridge.