Author Topic: OpenXCOM any% speedrun  (Read 4412 times)

Offline willbobsled

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
OpenXCOM any% speedrun
« on: July 29, 2017, 05:46:05 am »
No mods (except Cooper's Smoke)

Shoutouts to InMemorium for demonstrating that this game is speedrunnable and to my chat for moral support. All questions and thoughts regarding strategies used to replicate or improve this run are welcome.

Shameless plug: I attempt runs on most days at random times, come see for yourself at twitch.tv/willbobsled
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:10:53 pm by willbobsled »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXCOM any% speedrun
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:36:47 am »
That's a very cool speed run, I don't think I will ever tire of watching people click fast the way you do. I especially like how you take advantage of quirks in the alien's behavior.

But I've already seen a few speed runs of this game un-modded. I want to see someone do a speed run of a modded play.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:49:39 pm »
Cool speedrun! Congrats!

But I've already seen a few speed runs of this game un-modded. I want to see someone do a speed run of a modded play.

Oh, like Piratez? xD

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:39:35 pm »
Yeah Piratez would probably be hella fun to watch. People should make more lets-plays of Piratez.

Offline willbobsled

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 10:19:43 am »
To be honest, I haven't been able to find any RTA speedruns of unmodded XCOM. I'd greatly appreciate if you could point me in the right direction coz I kinda (re)invented the wheel with the strats I've been using.

I haven't played Piratez before but I'm down for a challenge, any other mods you can recommend?

NB: Just crushed my PB  ;D

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:01 am »
fk242 did a segmented speedrun (9:17) without openxcom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RxcCY6MCZY

Inmemorium posted an ironman speedrun which he claims sets a new record at 1:41:08. https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5139.0.html

They used different speedrunning styles but it's still speedruns. I'm not saying anything against yours, just that I haven't seen any modded speedruns yets.

Megamods/Total Conversions I know about:
Final Mod Pack - Human Ktulu / Solarius Scorch
Area-51 - Hobbes
X-Com Files - Solarius Scorch
X-Piratez - Dioxine
The Endless War - alinare
Reaver's Faithful Megamod - The Reaver of Darkness (me)
Hardmode Expansion - hellrazor
My_TFTD_Mod - new_civilian

I don't know how much I can recommend any of these because as far as I know, they are mostly focused around extending the game so it could be a much larger undertaking to learn to speedrun them. But it would be hella fun to watch a good speedrun of any of these.

Final Mod Pack is a compilation of several mods and is an older TC.
Area-51 changes the game into more of a Men in Black style in which you're a secret government force that keeps aliens at bay using covert operations.
X-Com Files as far as I can tell is sort of an advancement of FMP and Area-51, giving the game an X-Files feel.
X-Piratez turns the game into something completely different, filled with pirate-themed stuff in a post-apocalyptic world that has been re-invented from scratch.
The Endless War - I don't know much about this mod but I suspect it is a higher-difficulty gameplay with a large amount of stuff to keep you busy.
Reaver's Faithful Megamod is my own mod which seeks to preserve the feel of the original without changing the overall difficulty, but still extend the game, fill in holes, and balance everything better.
Hardmode Expansion makes the game very difficult but I believe you get a lot of tools to use to win, so you always have a chance no matter how hard it gets.
My_TFTD_Mod - I don't know anything about this one, but new_civilian is a pretty cool guy so it's probably fun.

I haven't actually played any of these except mine, so you guys feel free to flesh out the details or correct me on anything. I'll admit to wanting to see you speedrun my mod if for no other reasons than my own self-interest and because I want people to play it to bug test it for me. The advantage to playing mine would be that there's less of a learning curve. But I think that Hardmode Expansion could make for a very exciting speedrun if you're up to the challenge, or Area-51 could be very fascinating without being too difficult. X-Piratez might be the most popular TC on these forums and it would make for a fresh challenge. And if you can't pick something, FMP gives you a little bit of this and that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:35:16 am by The Reaver of Darkness »