aliens

Author Topic: OpenTFTD Impatience build  (Read 6267 times)

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
OpenTFTD Impatience build
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:28:24 am »
OMG OMG OMG TFTD in openxcom OMG whens it gonna be ready? Gawd this is taking forever!

OK, I can't wait anymore, time to dive in and hack together a clumsy TFTD build. I'm not going to lie, it's gonna look like shit and it's gonna crash everytime we try to go to the battlescape, but it works. Sorta

Instructions for installing:
    • Install the latest nightly in a new folder called OpenCantWait\
    • Grab GEODATA GEOGRAPH MAPS ROUTES and UNITS from your TFTD folder and copy them to OpenCantWait\data
    • Grab GEODATA GEOGRAPH MAPS ROUTES UNITS and UFOINTRO from xcom1 and copy to OpenCantWait\data again
           ----- Do not overwrite, ignore files that are already there. -----   
    • Download SOUND.zip below and add the \SOUND folder to your OpenCantWait\data
    • Get SAMPLE.CAT - SAMPLE3.CAT from either your UFO or TFTD directory and add them to OpenCantWait\data\SOUND
           ----- Using the UFO versions will give you UFO sounds and the TFTD version will give you no sound ----- 
    • Download HACK-CantWait.yml below and add it to your OpenCantWait\data\Languages folder
           ----- You must also select the hacked language in the options menu for it to take effect -----

Quote from: darkestaxe
    OMG OMG OMG TFTD in openxcom OMG whens it gonna be ready? Gawd this is taking forever!

Shutup and wait Darkestaxe! Gawd! I'm working on it.

Current Limitations:
     * The game crashes if you enter the battlescape. (For now if you really want to use the battlescape, you'll have to use UFO files, but then you'll be playing UFO.)

* The equip screen and UFOpedia entries are just blank screens (no buttons or anything). Hit Esc to leave, use UFO files to play UFO.

* In relation to the ruleset: all stats, functionality, etc is exactly the same between UFO and TFTD, always always always - except for almost everything. I'm not planning on changing the ruleset unless it's to either make a new screen work or squash more lies. SupSuper and Warboy are already working on an official one and ruleset work is a lot of work.[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:23:33 am by darkestaxe »

niculinux

Re: OpenTFTD Impatience build
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:20:23 pm »
    Hey thanks darkestaxe for your efforts!!!!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
    • Commander
    • Developer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 11:39:52 pm »
    patience, padawan.

here, have this to tide you over...
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:02:59 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
    • Emissary of the Brain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 05:25:29 am »
    patience, padawan.

here, have this to tide you over...

Patience is a virtue, I hate virtues! I like pictures though.

It lies and says you can research lasers! I know it's lying because there's no lasers in TFTD!

* Squashed a bug where OXC would lie and say you're still just playing X-COM1. It still lies but not nearly as much.

New instructions if you already followed the original steps:
    9. Add the new file to you're OpenCantWait\data\languages folder.

When the game starts you will need to select the language with TFTD in it's name. Sorry if your not an english speaking player, you'll just have to deal with the lies for now, I only hacked the language I know.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:04:22 am »
    I had to revive this gem. This is glorious.

I know this guy in real life, and yes he's exactly this cool in person.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:53:33 am »
    Is this even needed? I thought Terror From the Deep was now supported by OpenXcom
    I only played the demo of that, have original disks in its cellophane wrapped box somewhere, though battling  sectoids across   intercontinental chessboards always to have more allure for me;
    but I did notice immediately the advantage TFTD has when right click opened doors; something it took a bit to discover that is included in OpenXcom.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
    • Commander
    • Developer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 03:39:50 am »
    it's a three year old thread. no it's not needed. :P

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 05:32:54 am »
    It's not needed, I bumped it for posterity. His "mod" was simply changing the resource and language files of UFO Defense to look and sound like TFTD. I thought it was hilarious.