Author Topic: Chopping hedges and bushes  (Read 5695 times)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
Chopping hedges and bushes
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:57:33 pm »
Sometimes the fastest way is not around, but through the bushes :) Is it possible to allow melee attack to clear the path ahead, same way firearms do? After all, machete and billhook were created to hack bushes.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Chopping hedges and bushes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 05:04:52 pm »
Sometimes the fastest way is not around, but through the bushes :) Is it possible to allow melee attack to clear the path ahead, same way firearms do? After all, machete and billhook were created to hack bushes.

It is on my todo list... currently not possible.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:56:49 am »
you could just give them TU values in MCDedit to make them passable, but they'd still block LOS and LOF

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:39:16 am »
Somewhat related : is there a way to manually target the hedge / fence ? I have an issue where I try to shoot holes in them, but its hard because I cannot directly aim at the fence, and half the rounds zoom part / through it. Shame, because fences are a bit of a hurdle to deal with otherwise.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:09:02 am »
Give them a projectile with a range of 1?

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:08 am »
That only sorta works, except misses can, of course, go further

Chainsaw from piratez is a good example, its basically an infinite ammo uzi if you  miss.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:25:47 pm »
That only sorta works, except misses can, of course, go further

Chainsaw from piratez is a good example, its basically an infinite ammo uzi if you  miss.

It was like that long ago, but now the saw simply has damage reduction to zero beyond its normal range.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 04:49:01 am »
In this case, can we PLEASE get a sledge hammer? Sledge hammer was amazing in piratez, even if it was obscenely low tech.   :D

Sledge and chainsaw : also, can AI use these without derping and firing them at long range, since they count as projectile weapons??? or can you program them to use them only within 1 tile? I kinda like the idea of a red dawn thug with his bio enhancements charging me with hammer threatening to burst one of my agents skulls open, and I figure a chainsaw in the hands of a member of dagon would fit the cultist / semi resident evil vibe.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 04:54:48 am »
How about a HWP Lawnmower? Carries a 'weapon' in front that destroys terrain (and aliens too!)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 07:37:08 am »
In this case, can we PLEASE get a sledge hammer? Sledge hammer was amazing in piratez, even if it was obscenely low tech.   :D

Sledgehammer exists in X-Com Files too! It's just rare. :) But they are normal melee weapons, so they can't damage terrain yet, because...

Sledge and chainsaw : also, can AI use these without derping and firing them at long range, since they count as projectile weapons???

...precisely that. AI can't do that.

or can you program them to use them only within 1 tile?

If it was possible, it would have been done in Piratez years ago...

How about a HWP Lawnmower? Carries a 'weapon' in front that destroys terrain (and aliens too!)

I think I might have a sprite for the Gutrippa somewhere. :)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 09:29:40 am »
Well damn, I liked the sledge SPECIFICALLY for being able to break down walls : I  found it amazing for the raiding operations!

I hope this issue can maybe be fixed, because I honestly loved the sledge BECAUSE I could break down walls, heh.

Well, I hope this can be done soon, I would certainly love such a feature.

...and honestly the sledge is too slow without this feature to be worth it, too slow, and clumsy. Though This would also require a rework of the hit system for these specifically, since the CQC effect would effect it, and otherwise its impossible to miss in melee.

Its a dream at least.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 10:02:45 am »
Well damn, I liked the sledge SPECIFICALLY for being able to break down walls : I  found it amazing for the raiding operations!

I hope this issue can maybe be fixed, because I honestly loved the sledge BECAUSE I could break down walls, heh.

Yes, hopefully, with time. Let up pray to the coders.

...and honestly the sledge is too slow without this feature to be worth it, too slow, and clumsy. Though This would also require a rework of the hit system for these specifically, since the CQC effect would effect it, and otherwise its impossible to miss in melee.

Yeah, I'm not rebalancing this for temporary mechanics.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »
One of these just like in the olden days in Normandy

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 08:07:03 pm »
Sledge and chainsaw : also, can AI use these without derping and firing them at long range, since they count as projectile weapons???
...precisely that. AI can't do that.
While you're at it, I'll ask. I've seen a crash in an earlier version, when an agent tried to hit an enemy several steps away with a flashlight. It was a reaction shot. Is this the same problem?