Author Topic: "We can now research" does not list new technologies  (Read 3923 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
"We can now research" does not list new technologies
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:15:51 am »
When a new technology is unlocked that I have added, it never alerts the player that it can be researched. It only makes this alert for previously existing technologies. For instance, when I research Blaster Bomb, it unlocks both Fusion Missile and Conventional Blaster Charges, but it says:
We can now research
 Fusion Missile

Code: [Select]
research:
  - name: STR_CONVENTIONAL_BLASTER_CHARGES
    listOrder: 1710
    cost: 200
    dependencies:
      - STR_BLASTER_BOMB

I've had another similar issue: when I capture an alien alive but have no alien containment, it does not give the message that the alien dies unless the alien is captured during a base defense mission or an alien base assault. Any live aliens captured from landed or crashed UFOs do not give the message. I've played several months without an alien containment and this trend has never failed, despite dozens of live aliens at the end of missions.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: "We can now research" does not list new technologies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:32:35 am »
What version are you using exactly?

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:35:20 am »
Nightly 6/26/2017

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:55:28 am »
I tried with exactly that nightly... and both work for me, see screenshots.

Do you have saves where we can reproduce the issues?
(plus newest version of your mod I assume)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:17:17 am »
I've been experiencing both of these issues ever since I installed openxcom for the first time on this computer. It has happened throughout all iterations of my mod as well as when playing unmodded. If you aren't experiencing it, then maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
I attached my dxdiag readout.

I suspect the message may be displaying but being immediately passed before I have a chance to see it. I've seen this bug many times in many other programs on this and other machines running Windows 7, however this would be the first time it was with popup messages that aren't windows created by the operating system.

All in all I'm not that interested in fixing it. If the messages are displaying for you, then my mod should work fine for everyone else, even if it's bugged for me. That's the important part.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 03:05:36 pm »
Chance that the popups somehow disappear is astronomically low.... really.

My bet is simply that you are running an old version or an incorrectly installed version... I know you find that improbable, but it's the best bet I have.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:15:39 pm by Meridian »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:33:30 am »
My version could be incorrectly installed. I tried to eliminate that possibility when I upgraded to 2017-02-09 by deleting the entire folder and installing from scratch, but I never deleted the mods folder or possibly other subfolders it has strewn about my computer.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:57:15 am »
My version could be incorrectly installed. I tried to eliminate that possibility when I upgraded to 2017-02-09 by deleting the entire folder and installing from scratch, but I never deleted the mods folder or possibly other subfolders it has strewn about my computer.

Have another OPENXCOM install with no mods and use it to test your mod if you think there is a conflict
It can be jarring at times especially if your main game is changed with new graphics and sounds and it loads with the original music...

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »
Have another OPENXCOM install with no mods
Can't I just turn off all of the mods? I have another separate install but it uses the same folder for the mods.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 06:37:53 pm »
try a portable install with the user folder inside of the install folder on your clean install, the reason is to isolate as much as possible.