Author Topic: [WIP] Firestorm Battlescape Map  (Read 2310 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
[WIP] Firestorm Battlescape Map
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:17:52 pm »
I've seen a lot of cool aircraft and battlescape maps to go with them, but so far it seems nobody has made a Firestorm battlescape map.

I calculated the basic shape for a 6x6 Firestorm map and drew this. I'm no good at adding features, but I got the base color with some shading. It might be a bit bright, but it was done by hand.

I'm hoping some of you might have other talents to contribute to this as it needs proper details, a pair of weapons, and splitting/processing into a MCD palette. I can probably split it if any of you can draw in the texturing. I'm rather terrible at larger size graphics.

The dome is 4x4 and its base is raised by 12 units. I haven't calculated the height of the dome, rather I just made a circle at the base to make it spherical. I guess since it has a radius of 2 squares, it should have a height of about 32+12, or just within the level above the base. I figure the ship will be raised one level in the air, so that the troops come out underneath it. The lift, legs, and interior can all use pieces from other MCDs. Ideally its base should be tile-able, so that people who use the map can freely disagree on how many units it holds, and can adjust their maps accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:22:41 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Firestorm Battlescape Map
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:06:57 am »
There is a map for the original scout.

The FIRESTORM is described as one man and in the UFOpedia appears as a domed disk.
The small scout, if somehow made transparent in MCDedit could act as a dome and be placed over a small Lightning and act as its ceiling  perhaps even smaller than my just release BOLT to get the effect.

The FIRESTORM, as I see it could probably could pack  no more than three persons and unless at least 5 it does not seem really worth the effort to create unless something specific is in mind.

A small scout project:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=4775.0

unused small scout
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/UFO1B

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Firestorm Battlescape Map
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:41:32 am »
It just doesn't look like the Firestorm's distinctive black dome. To me, it's not about how often I'll use it, but how it looks compared to the craft. If the original game had let the Firestorm land, they would undoubtedly have given it its own unique battlescape pieces.