aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 696181 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.58)
« Reply #2070 on: July 02, 2023, 08:39:40 pm »
Er, I was under the impression that this was changed in OXCE (compared to the original, that is), and now all radars stack?

It was not changed in OXCE.
It was changed in OXC.

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 02, 2023, 08:41:42 pm »
Greetings to everyone here!

I have another question!

Around a month ago i have strarted a new game on twots 2.56 with oxce 7.9.0 on superhuman ironman. Beginning from start to several further months of game timescale i see exactly the same alien terror mission generation scheme. These alien terror missions occurs at the same date of each month, about 1-3 days from the beginning of a new month. Each month - feb, march, apr, e.t.c. - terror mission occurs at the same fixed day from 1 to 3.

Six month later of my ingame timeline i have a some success and progress in a researching tree, and at this moment of game i have no more terrror missions given to me. But I have my base attack missions instead of previous terror missions, and these base attacks missions occurs exactly at the same day of each month, about 1-3, and each month only one and only one of my bases is under attack. I have 3 bases at this moment, each of them have interceptors. These interceptors shoot down many alien ships every month around the globe. But aliens repeatedly attacks only one and only of my bases every month, whish is not starded bases, it was a second base. These base attacks occurs each time at the same moment - from 1 to 3 day of beginning a month. 

Is it possible to add MORE RANDOM TO THIS SITUATION?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 02, 2023, 09:37:18 pm »
It was not changed in OXCE.
It was changed in OXC.
My bad, sorry. I did not mean to imply it was an OXCE change in particular, just slipped up with the attribution.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 05, 2023, 07:26:38 pm »
Replaying the new release, an SH/IM campaign, now in December.

Enhanced Aquatoid Technicians are apparently not researchable. I think this is an oversight - I suppose they should at the very least know the same things as the regular one.

A good question would be whether this should qualify as high technician (STR_TECHNICIAN_PLUS, which currently includes lobsterman and heavy gillman technicians/engineers). In the current game, there is always certain excitement of trying to catch a lobsterman technician from a small ship with stun rods or abyssian tech, which opens up Learning Arrays and all the alien tech. Currently this is relatively easy because only the commander has any heat vision. Otherwise this could be lethal (though often you can't avoid a casualty or two). Because there is currently a lot of RNG on when you get a high engineer, I'd suggest enhanced aquatoid technician should be added to the list to make it more balanced (getting one before MC lab would be difficult enough as it is).

Also, you cannot research the enhanced aquatoid and heavy gillman corpses; you are able to recycle their bodies if you have researched the regular corpse and interrogated a live one. This is somewhat illogical but might be as intended.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 06, 2023, 11:49:41 am »
About enhanced aquatoid technician. He never was allowed to be researched since early game versions. I mean - he not give you any tech progress at all. May be only info about aliens USO's types only. I don't remember  now, but it's easy to check via research tree.

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 06, 2023, 05:44:08 pm »
Lobsterman commander and navigator - both of them spawns at the base defence mission.
Sooner or later aliens will try to attack players base. Nowdays with Twots 2.56 (and 2.58) i have my base attacked by lobstermen crew exactly in september of first year of game time (2038). The same scenario with coming lobster commander to my base was two years ago with twots 2.48. Exactly in september 2038. At that moment i have only gauss tech available, which is usless agaisnt lobsters, and thermic lance, which is good, thermal rod paralizator also good (3-4 strikes is enough for one lobster). Base architecture alllows me to defeat all the alien forces in one corridor. Corridor of death :D

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 05:47:32 pm by Gena Krokodilov »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: July 06, 2023, 06:28:47 pm »
On superhuman, Alien retaliation missions (100% chance) start spawning on month 8 (or earlier, if you research The Ultimate Threat). Getting lobstermen is a coincidence, its chance at that point is 20%. Just had a first one myself (December) targeting my 4th base, against gillmen - very easy.

If you have vibro knifes and decent melee accuracy, it's THE melee weapon, especially against lobstermen. It's quick to take from your belt, TU cost is only 8 and IIRC it kills lobsters with one hit.

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: July 06, 2023, 07:41:36 pm »
Yes, superhuman ironman as always, but with periodically manual archivation of a savegame file into separate winrar archives. Each month backup, or so.

I have also noticed that vibro knives have more damage against lobstermans and carcharadons than thermic lance and heavy thermic lanse in TWOTS. It is strange beacause Ufopaedia tells that thermic lance must be more powerful than vibriknife.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: July 07, 2023, 03:31:14 pm »
By the way, I've created a reverse statstrings sub-mod for TWoTS, based on the XCF sub-mod by Starving Poet.

Using this submod, you can see which stats of various soldier types can still be trained. (I've made a special case for Bravery, as getting it to the stat cap 100 is very difficult and also pointless, if you're going to shield them anyway, when the stat cap lowers to 60.) There are also some markers for weaker and stronger MC types and a *-marker also denotes an aquanaut whose primary stats are maxed.

When you start a game, I suggest using XComUtil "regular" statstrings and when the aquanauts have developed a little bit (at least some getting close to stat caps) switching to reverse stat strings.

Hope this is useful to someone else as well.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: July 07, 2023, 04:48:27 pm »
Just got my SH/IM run wrecked by a sharkman attack on my main base on 1 Jan 2039 while all but one guy (+ some drones and tanks) were out dealing with the first-of-month terror mission. Maybe an easier race could have been doable, but not sharkmen + bio-drones.

Moral of the story: always keep sufficient number of troops and equipment at standby (this has happened to me once before as well, but I think I managed in that case).

Well, the game was starting to become a bit boring already (a number of shielded and maxed aquanauts) and the rest of the game would have been easy except for a very unfortunate event such as this.

Offline Xylon666Darkstar

• Captain
  • "With Doom, We Come."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: July 11, 2023, 05:02:55 am »
Pretty great mod for little extra TFTD, after doing a full campaign of it, just under 2 game years. Never did find a Heavy Ion Cannon drop though.

Those end game armors are a little bit too OP with my experience of them. Same with the Soviet Nuclear Torpedos.

Offline chowwuikeung

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 19, 2023, 12:50:01 am »
was viewing the ufopedia, came upon bubble entry. Game crashed as there was no "sprite BUBBLEIMAGE" to be found, just fyi.

STR_MUtant1 also not found.

Is there a complete build that I can play with?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 02:07:22 am by chowwuikeung »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 20, 2023, 08:27:54 am »
Strange. Will check.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 20, 2023, 08:48:32 am »
was viewing the ufopedia, came upon bubble entry. Game crashed as there was no "sprite BUBBLEIMAGE" to be found, just fyi.

STR_MUtant1 also not found.

Is there a complete build that I can play with?
Installed clean new twots and checked. All works fine. Maybe you got corrupted install?

Offline chowwuikeung

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: July 24, 2023, 12:10:17 am »
Installed clean new twots and checked. All works fine. Maybe you got corrupted install?

I put the mod and the QOL mod in the c:\users..... path where the saved games are (mod folder). it doesn't run. I tried putting it in the openxcom mod directory but the mods only show up in xcom ufo game. (this was where I installed it last time. I had done a clean install since you suggested.) Where do the mods go? (using OXCE now)

{solved} mods go into the OXCE folder, then inside user/mods dir. Not sure if this was a fluke but I've cut/copied the second dir in the mod folder and moved it to the OXCE mod folder. Since it was pointless having an extra folder. I think OXCE couldn't find the mod info inside the first dir (which was in the second dir)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 01:29:06 am by chowwuikeung »