aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 676795 times)

Offline Legacy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.56)
« Reply #2040 on: May 21, 2023, 04:07:08 pm »
Have not played this mod for a while, so I forgot what MC Lab require and got confused with it. Research it now require advanced technician too? Man this mod was pain already but now it's became even harder.
And here I was getting excited about my research. Sounds like I have more to do  :D

Still surviving SH so far, although I’m playing less regularly than I used to. I was about to be eliminated due to my ineffectiveness at protecting civilians from carcharodons and bio drones but luckily the Naha showed up with medium USOs and aquanauts were ready for an easier challenge.

This kid has also gotten me into the practice of rotating squads that go into the field, which I hadn’t normally done before. Sending the fish food out to mutant missions or to fight naga to train up while the elites rest has really helped me recover when something bad happens to a squad now. I’ve also recently been enjoying the bubble, something I thought wasn’t very useful before lets even the weakest recruits become cannon turrets that can secure the area around the LZ

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 22, 2023, 03:13:41 am »
To Nord - don't forget fix "Headquarters" word too. It has double "a" in it's word. Same if you decide to build it at new base, same error in facilities list.
To Legacy - SH no thanks. I tried few years ago, with great random I managed survived year and half until aliens build so many bases what I can even fly safe to simple mission because HK's just spawns everywhere. The most big problem for me is insane MC control even on lowest difficulties. I thinking now made adjustments in mine QoL submod to make  easy things easy but hard is hard. But I need read wiki 1st before change MC stats according difficulty levels. And those commanders which I made too no longer needed since any officer could unlock 2 important researches.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 03:23:04 am by Shiroi Bara »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 22, 2023, 06:01:01 am »
I've only played SH and also done ironman a number of times. MC has never been a special problem (as long as you exploit the AI by dropping weapons and having pre-primed dye grenades), except certain missions which you will have to use special tactics or wait getting MC-shieleded aqauanauts:
- alien barge with aquatoids or enhanced aquatoids; sometimes I have attempted this with 3 gauss cannon tanks but it is a gamble
- bio lab w/ enhanced aquatoids
- the dungeon (obviously you shouldn't go there until you have sonic and other good gear anyway)
- artifact sites where you'll want to use a camping strategy and place drones/tanks on the elevator tiles so your weak-minded aquanauts don't escape
- mind worms missions which you'll have to do with drones/tanks and/or abort) but this is just something you'll have to take into account and abort

The challenge is that especially barge and bio lab would provide resources that would be very useful to shield the aquanauts, so you may be sorely tempted to take up the gamble especially with the barge.I think currently the balance is reasonably good.

With SH/IM the most challenging aspect are the hunter-killers that go around other ships (the ones from bases you can learn to avoid).

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 22, 2023, 10:44:29 pm »
Do you using instant grenade option? I'm not. I consider it's as cheating. With preprimed grenades you could kill almost all aliens at 1st turn. But if not, my respect.

Offline murkhach@centrum.cz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 22, 2023, 11:10:50 pm »
Do you using instant grenade option? I'm not. I consider it's as cheating. With pre-primed grenades you could kill almost all aliens at 1st turn. But if not, my respect.
Well I do not use grenades underwater.  (Gas cannon with  zrbite ammunition or  phosphorus for better vision do wonders)
On the surface there were quite essential in the beginning v.s. mutated humans.

For increased vision you can  equip shrimp drone with flare  (do not need to be thrown - just keeping in hand )

In my opinion the exo-suits are too good 
  - in term of melee resistance are better then Mag and  Zrbite armor)
  - allows kneeling
  - floats
  - weight penalty is no problem after training aquanauts in training-pool
  (So I suggest to   increase the weight a bit  in order not to allow using heavy weapons  without the bubble)

Offline Legacy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 24, 2023, 03:22:47 am »
To Nord - don't forget fix "Headquarters" word too. It has double "a" in it's word. Same if you decide to build it at new base, same error in facilities list.
To Legacy - SH no thanks. I tried few years ago, with great random I managed survived year and half until aliens build so many bases what I can even fly safe to simple mission because HK's just spawns everywhere. The most big problem for me is insane MC control even on lowest difficulties. I thinking now made adjustments in mine QoL submod to make  easy things easy but hard is hard. But I need read wiki 1st before change MC stats according difficulty levels. And those commanders which I made too no longer needed since any officer could unlock 2 important researches.
SH is hard but after trying Genius and Veteran so many times I actually find it easier in some other ways  that I can better manage. There are way more aliens, which means more points and loot, so I can make up for negative missions like abandoning mind worms or 2 parters I’m not ready for. There is enough points to score that I can still make up the month if I tighten up. On other difficulties if I really blew it in one or two missions it felt like the run was over. The extra loot also lets me hire more soldiers (since I suck and people die a lot) and I can do a lot more with base building.

Of course, the battle scape is a lot harder too, but in my opinion the rewards are worth it

I rarely use grenades now. It’s mostly gas cannons with hydro jets and torpedos for underwater or lasers for the surface (assuming no better weapon tech). I like the proximity grenades because the AI will try to avoid it (assuming they don’t immediately tank it) so it allows for some zone control and warnings if they start approaching you from a different direction

On that note, I haven’t been able to build a Barracuda yet, and the aliens have found and are bombing my manufacturing capitol repeatedly. Oof :-[
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 03:27:50 am by Legacy »

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 24, 2023, 10:36:58 am »
and the aliens have found and are bombing my manufacturing capitol repeatedly. Oof :-[
This one suck, agreed. In my experience they not stopping now even in new month. I'm using only 2 main bases now and rest only have 2 radars for detecting purposes. In case if they found radar bases the only way now is totally dismantle it (include air lock) and rebuild almost in same spot. But if happens with main bases... sure torpedo defense could help, but they miss a lot and never knows how many shorts it require to destroy bomber USOs.

Offline murkhach@centrum.cz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 24, 2023, 12:32:56 pm »
This one suck, agreed. In my experience they not stopping now even in new month. I'm using only 2 main bases now and rest only have 2 radars for detecting purposes. In case if they found radar bases the only way now is totally dismantle it (include air lock) and rebuild almost in same spot. But if happens with main bases... sure torpedo defense could help, but they miss a lot and never knows how many shorts it require to destroy bomber USOs.
I build 5 - torpedo defenses in each base  (usually the first attached facilities  are Sub Pen, General Stores, Torpedo defense  , Radar)   
  - most bomber subs need like 1 or to shots to destroy them

I modified facilities.rul  according to common sense
 - so  you can build  any  advanced  defense  over existing other in short time   (like  improved med-bay )

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 24, 2023, 02:01:52 pm »
- so  you can build  any  advanced  defense  over existing other in short time   (like  improved med-bay )
Nice idea.

Offline Legacy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 27, 2023, 07:20:51 am »
I build 5 - torpedo defenses in each base  (usually the first attached facilities  are Sub Pen, General Stores, Torpedo defense  , Radar)   
  - most bomber subs need like 1 or to shots to destroy them

I modified facilities.rul  according to common sense
The torpedo defenses were a great idea! I am so used to them being useless I hadn’t even thought of it. They started to bomb my other main base but I was able to get defenses up to stop them

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 27, 2023, 08:00:16 am »
Alien bombing runs start in June, if I recall correctly, so you should schedule your bases to have some torpedo defenses by then, and getting them built should be a priority for new bases as well, though not as important as in your primary bases *). Because the accuracy is quite low, for safety you should build preferably at least three. Being able to upgrade the defenses would be excellent.

*) For example, if your major base subpen gets destroyed when the craft is out on a mission, the craft and its crew are destroyed as well. I had this happen once in an SH/IM run..

So speed up the build-up, in new bases I think I have usually built an outpost and/or a corridor among the  first and then expand to the squares next to it. You can scrap the outpost after you have build proper stores and living quarters.

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 28, 2023, 06:03:28 pm »
Nord

Iam playng now new game on superhuman ironman. twots 2.56  oxce 7.9.5, without any correctons or another mods. except Orchestra of the deep 0.5.0

and want to report a bug.

both TRITON and POSEIDON does not allow to use in combat Heawy Weapon Platform 4 tiles Celocant, Turtle (ТЯЖЕЛАЯ ОРУЖЕЙНАЯ ПЛАТФОРМА НА 4 КЛЕТКИ -  целокант или черепаха).
no matter - underwater mission or surface mission. 1 tile drones (квадракоптер, каракатица) loaded correctly.

how to fix it? which file needs corrections?

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 28, 2023, 06:17:18 pm »
i mean, these 4 tiles platforms, which is very useful against mindworms missions, is totally absent in POSEIDON and TRITON. space reserved for them, aquanauts stays away from these 4 tiles. but tiles is empty

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 28, 2023, 07:20:52 pm »
This is precisely what would happen if you were to try to use an underwater SWS on the ground. Which one do you have, the ones with gas cannon or gauss should be OK.

BTW: SC Auto-Cannon Ufopedia article says it's submerged use only, but the rulesets don't seem to include underwaterOnly: true for that one. Nord should check and fix this either way.

Also, OXCE 7.9.4. included a change that removes the SWS from the craft if the ammo is incompatible with the environment. I suppose there could be a problem with this. You could try if it works with an earlier version.

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 28, 2023, 07:32:28 pm »
psavola

no matter - underwater mission or surface mission. 1 tile drones (квадракоптер, каракатица) loaded correctly.

how to fix it? which file needs corrections?

underwater mission picture with same bug with 4 tiles platform placement right  here.