aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 688855 times)

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.50)
« Reply #1830 on: April 16, 2022, 09:09:04 am »
Nord
Please make full finished version of TWOTS, which includes all necessary corrections about "underwaterOnly : true"  and latest OXCE 7.5.3
What is wrong now with "underwaterOnly"? Maybe i miss something...

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 16, 2022, 10:21:37 am »
What is wrong now with "underwaterOnly"? Maybe i miss something...

there are some new validations in OXCE for sprites (only when lazy loading is turned off).

For bullet sprites there will be a validation too.
For correct validation, the game will need to know whether a weapon is underwaterOnly or not (so that it can search in Projectiles or in UnderwaterProjectiles).

The following weapons are not marked as underwaterOnly, and there are no corresponding surface bullet sprites.
Please mark them as `underwaterOnly: true` in the next release (if they are indeed only meant for underwater usage).

Code: [Select]
Error for 'SERVITOR_WEAPON': Wrong index 770 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_INFECTOR': Wrong index 875 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_SPAWNER': Wrong index 805 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_SUPRESSOR': Wrong index 770 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_TANGLER': Wrong index 840 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_TURTLE_HWP_ION': Wrong index 560 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'XARQUID_WEAPON': Wrong index 560 for surface set Projectiles

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 17, 2022, 01:35:39 pm »
Nord, please give us (all the community) your famous and time proven 2.51 final update (with all corrections and latest OXCE included already)!
Прошу вас убедительно до трёх раз! (I ask you convincingly up to three times!)
Of course, i can do this small "Underwater" corrections myself, but i suppose that all these corrections must be from the author of mod, if possible.

Random passengers can make it with some mistakes (Посторонние пассажиры могут закосматить и накосячить) :o

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 21, 2022, 07:22:47 pm »
I just finished watching Meridian's TWoTS LP. The mod seemed interesting and likely I'll try it out. I haven't played OXCE mods before, just tested hardmode extension (a very good one also, IMO).

A key problem at least for me in TFTD, having played it dozens of times with superhuman and often with only a few saves, is that you get bored after (at the latest) mid-game (e.g. when you get MC disruptor); the rest of the game would go very smoothly in any case. The most interesting parts of the game have been early'ish phases where you still develop and you'll have to see how you survive and also balance a bit how you go about it.

The mod appeared to work around this by extending the early game phase quite a bit. It took a very long time to get even the gauss weapons (IIRC Lobsterman navigator if I didn't miss anything), even a bit too long. When nearing the endgame, there seemed to be somewhat nasty enemies, but they didn't seem to be required for progressing the game so you could ignore e.g. Freaks almost completely.

Based on Meridian's LP a few observations,
- Cyborgs and keeping regular aquanauts seemed to be a total waste of time and a major liability, being susceptible to enemy M.C. It was obvious that you should either shield your best aquanauts and additionally get some gifted aquanauts. Others would be just a liability. Given that significant amount of energy is needed for M.C. attacks in the long run, M.C. was less overpowered compared to the vanilla. I even wonder whether if it's worth bothering at all. By far the easiest and most straightforward way to finish would likely be to just shield your best already fully trained aquanauts at first chance and ignore the rest. I wonder if this would need some rebalancing to make the other options more relevant.
  * what I would have wanted to see is attacking the mind worms missions with shielded aquanauts. Wouldn't that have been a very easy training session.
 - There was quite a bit of late-game research, but a lot of it appeared to be rather useless - and you typically get it at the point when you are already bored and are just waiting to finish the game (or quit). To make research and items more useful, more of it could have been introduced earlier when it was still relevant.
 - As a minor nitpick, lore-wise it's difficult to understand why mutants or other enemies (other than the aliens) were able to sonic pistols (lore-wise having to have the link to the weapon) while the x-com does not. As using sonic weapons has lore-wise made so difficult, it would be more in-line with that justification that random humans couldn't use them either - or you could figure out easier how to do it.

There were a few interesting observations of Meridian's playstyle, compared to some others I have seen (mostly superhuman/ironman, whether regular or speedrun). It was the first time I saw a strategy of not shooting down USOs at all (until infiltration missions), just doing landed ones. I wonder if this strategy works better in this mod, because getting sonic oscillator and the capability to shoot down e.g. large ufos comes much later. The typical strategy I have seen and used is to shoot down and/or go for the first 5-10 subs, after that just shoot them down and ignore the wrecks until you get a nice very large lobsterman sub, and/or a tasoth (or visit a base) or need more money. This would not work here, because you need to ramp up labs and production much higher to get through all the research and you need to earn much more money and do so regularly until you get gauss cannon to churn out the big bucks (Meridian, you should have researched and switched from sensors immediately). The use of covers in the beginning was impressive, but I wonder if the strategy would have worked with superhuman. Usually in SH the maps are so full of aliens that you can't typically walk in the open that much without smoke, or you will get shot by someone or multiple aliens - and the aliens have 12% better reactions and accuracy. For that reason I have personally gotten used to extensive use of smoke/dye; maybe even 20-30 grenades per mission. But even that doesn't help in certain terror missions where the aliens are located on top of buildings or subs unless you enable 3D smoke patterns. For some reason, Meridian seemed very reluctant or not even remember the possibility to use smoke/dye in mid-end game, even in cases where it would have helped a LOT (e.g. base defense chokepoints, and indeed many other challenges, such as the alien dungeon). This appears to be particularly the case in this mod, because many armors give you sonar so you see better even in smoke, yet the aliens apparently don't have it. I wonder if this was intentional to make the game more challenging or there were other reasons to skip smoking.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: April 22, 2022, 12:11:38 pm »
Sorry can't provide save file (Iron Man mode on) but I just tell what I had found. It was alien presents mission against polyphs. One of them hit shrimp light drone few times. Color has changed to green but health bar staying full. In few next turn I got message what drone died from fatal wound. And this confused me. Wounds for drones? Or it's just corrosive effect of acid showing as fatal wound because of current limitation of OXCE engine? Could you explain what happened?

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 22, 2022, 02:07:28 pm »
Sorry can't provide save file (Iron Man mode on) but I just tell what I had found. It was alien presents mission against polyphs. One of them hit shrimp light drone few times. Color has changed to green but health bar staying full. In few next turn I got message what drone died from fatal wound. And this confused me. Wounds for drones? Or it's just corrosive effect of acid showing as fatal wound because of current limitation of OXCE engine? Could you explain what happened?
Yes, all deaths through ending turn showed as fatal wounds.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 22, 2022, 04:43:20 pm »
Playing the latest TWoTS and OXCE snapshot. I suspect this may be an OXCE issue, though. If you try to build a triton, while not having a free sub pen, a transfer dialogue pops up. (It may be relevant that I have a second base which however does not yet have a sub pen. I wonder what would happen if you didn't have a second base, "transfer" would not be relevant then?) But if you can't transfer the existing craft out anywhere, you can't get out of the dialogue box and you are stuck - you must close the window and restart the game. Maybe the game should check first, before starting manufacturing, whether the requirements are fulfilled and not even open transfer window if not? And there also should be some way out of the transfer dialogue at least in this scenario?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 04:45:45 pm by psavola »

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 22, 2022, 08:32:10 pm »
Im still waiting some response and ANY feedback from author of mod for my previous questions in this thread about fixing Underwater bugs and about OXCE 7.5.3.

Why Уважаемый author didnt answer at all at the moment? >:( :o :)

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 24, 2022, 03:35:23 am »
Yes, i will do it. Just really busy with real world job.

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 24, 2022, 09:17:37 am »
Version 2.51 is up.
Changelog:
 - Added new suit - sailor vest;
 - fixed minor bugs;
 - prepared for newest OXCE (current - 7.5.3);
 - added Korean language.
Due to bad internet connection:
 - removed additional music, recommended to use mod "Orchestra of the deep";
 - now in archive is only mod, without OXCE;
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 09:20:06 am by Nord »

Offline Gena Krokodilov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.51)
« Reply #1840 on: April 24, 2022, 09:46:22 am »
Nord, Thanks a lot!

Is it right order of installation process?

1. install OXCE 7.5.3 into new folder - C:\OXCE

2. add all files from UFO and TFTD games, place these files into corresponding folders - C:\OXCE\TFTD and  C:\OXCE\UFO

3. downlad fresh twots_2_51 and unpack archive into folder Mods -  C:\OXCE\user\Mods\TWoTS

4. add mod Orchestra of the deep, if needed

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 24, 2022, 11:00:34 am »
The game crashes on loading sprites `NEWTMANF2.SPK` and `NEWTMANF3.SPK`

- typeSingle: NEWTMANF2.SPK
    typeSingle: Resources/armor/newtsuit_f2.png

Above on the second line, it should be fileSingle instead of typeSingle

- type: NEWTMANF3.SPK
    fileSingle: Resources/armor/newtsuit_f3.png

Above on the first line it should be typeSingle instead of type

And there is one more item (STR_TURTLE_HWP_ION) which should be marked with `underwaterOnly: true` (because of `bulletSprite: 16`).

And lastly, in metadata.yml, the description should probably not say OXCE included :) (`description: "Expansion of TFTD. OXCE included."`)

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 24, 2022, 11:41:25 am »
Thanks. Fixed version uploaded.

Nord, Thanks a lot!

Is it right order of installation process?
Yes.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 24, 2022, 02:27:31 pm »
Thanks. Fixed version uploaded.

The first issue was not fixed.

It still crashes on `NEWTMANF2.SPK`

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: April 25, 2022, 05:40:05 am »
The first issue was not fixed.

It still crashes on `NEWTMANF2.SPK`

Damnations!
Ghm, sorry. Will fix soon.