Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 676640 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.50)
« Reply #1770 on: October 12, 2021, 04:01:53 pm »
No, i just use latest OXCE at a moment when packing update.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: October 12, 2021, 04:03:28 pm »
I may be dense here, but doesn't Twots come with its own OXCE? I know it took me a couple mins to figure out it was entirely stand-alone.

It does come with its own OXCE.
How does that conflict with my statement?

The OXCE version it comes with has a bug... and if you want to get rid of that bug, you can either upgrade, or downgrade, or not abort missions.

Offline xcommie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: October 12, 2021, 06:42:23 pm »
The OXCE version it comes with has a bug... and if you want to get rid of that bug, you can either upgrade, or downgrade, or not abort missions.
Ah, so it's a known bug that has been fixed. That's fine then. Thanks

Offline xcommie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: October 13, 2021, 12:47:41 am »
A probably edge-case bug here. Attached save.

1) Select Michiko Okabo (middle of screen in Hybrid Armour).

2) Right-click to open the door.

3) Numerous things happen:

a) Door opens (good)
   b) Spot the alien (good)
   c) Reserve TU's for Autofire flashes. (possibly zero to two bugs both because neither weapon has autofire and because the action happened anyway)
   d) Room remains black (bug).

-----

There's a second bug too (possibly related to the first). If you change it to Reserve TU for Snapshot, when you try and open the door it pops up "Not Enough Time Units!".
This is a bug because it should actually say STR_TIME_UNITS_RESERVED_FOR_SNAP_SHOT: "Time Units reserved for Snap Shot"

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 13, 2021, 02:53:29 pm »
The change to Sniper/Scout tactics is quite interesting but I think it serves simply to make combat harder on X-COM.

The idea seems to be to avoid using smoke so you can secure more accurate shots, but firing at enemies when they are in view risks them turning around and shooting via reaction fire. I've just accepted the fact my soldiers are going to be more inaccurate and just toss up smoke grenades anyway.

But I've also found, at least for the earlier game enemies, that its actually far more practical to just throw grenades at every and anything that moves, most enemies die to one or two grenades and they are far more accurate than shooting them. You do risk blowing up equipment/bodies though but I'd rather kill the enemy than run the gauntlet of shooting twenty times.

Otherwise as I've said before, I'm quite a big fan of the surface weapon system, its nice to see X-COM decided to actually lookup decent weapons instead of bringing harpoon guns. I still wish there was some kind of early game surface armour, even just for the cosmetics since its a bit amusing/comical seeing soldiers marching to battle on the surface in diving suits.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: October 13, 2021, 06:31:48 pm »
Otherwise as I've said before, I'm quite a big fan of the surface weapon system, its nice to see X-COM decided to actually lookup decent weapons instead of bringing harpoon guns. I still wish there was some kind of early game surface armour, even just for the cosmetics since its a bit amusing/comical seeing soldiers marching to battle on the surface in diving suits.
As this takes place after X-Com: UFO Defence, Personal Armor would make sense.
Even if Elerium is too expensive, Personal Armor just takes Alien Alloys, which are easy to make. Since they are apparently better than steel, they should even be commercialy available, so it Personal Armor from the first game could be made without any prerequisites.

However, to explain AA are not used to make protective suits, Personal Armor would likely have Sonic damage multiplier greater than 100%. 200% or 300%.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: October 13, 2021, 06:39:40 pm »
A probably edge-case bug here. Attached save.

1) Select Michiko Okabo (middle of screen in Hybrid Armour).
   d) Room remains black (bug).
Yes, strange indeed. And if i use other soldier or other map cell to stand, then no bug happens.
There's a second bug too (possibly related to the first). If you change it to Reserve TU for Snapshot, when you try and open the door it pops up "Not Enough Time Units!".
This is a bug because it should actually say STR_TIME_UNITS_RESERVED_FOR_SNAP_SHOT: "Time Units reserved for Snap Shot"
Yes, it is an old bug of OXCE.

Even if Elerium is too expensive, Personal Armor just takes Alien Alloys, which are easy to make. Since they are apparently better than steel, they should even be commercialy available, so it Personal Armor from the first game could be made without any prerequisites.
There IS personal armor in this mod. And there IS explanation why alloys are unavailable. :-)

Offline xcommie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: October 13, 2021, 06:42:06 pm »

XCom's personal armour does make an appearance as "Carapace armour" in the mod mid-game (far too late to be useful); it seemed to require Inert Elerium for trading (Elerium Exchange tech) which you get from the downed UFO events. Might be worth tweaking this to be a early-game event (you'll also need to tone down the downed-UFO enemies; harpoon guns versus hallucinoids/tentaculets and paladin armour don't work, I dread to think how bad they'd be against Xarquid!).

Offline xcommie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: October 13, 2021, 06:44:48 pm »
Yes, strange indeed. And if i use other soldier or other map cell to stand, then no bug happens.
I suspect the bug is a combination of being at the number of units required to use chainsword, the chainsword itself, and, a bug in how the game itself as to how processes these events. I.e. a very rare set of circumstances.

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: October 13, 2021, 08:44:49 pm »

My idea was more coveralls, akin to the starting armour for surface X-COM. It could have a very slightly higher armour value compared to the diving suits as a reason to bother equipping them.

In universe you could make them avaliable after researching 'Surface Weapon Acquisition' and justify that with the revelation that X-COM will be occasionally fighting on the surface, it might be worthwhile to issue combat uniforms for surface usage instead of lugging bulky dive suits onto the surface.

Ostensibly its just a cosmetic suggestion and I can appreciate it would be a lot of trouble for something of no real tactical value.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: October 13, 2021, 10:15:49 pm »
Right now i am working at other mod, so if you create sprites for such armor suit, i can spare 5 min. and put them into mod.  :)

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: October 14, 2021, 08:54:56 pm »
Right now i am working at other mod, so if you create sprites for such armor suit, i can spare 5 min. and put them into mod.  :)

I'm giving it a shot, however I suspect that X-COM coveralls don't come out well in TFTD's pallet scheme, the clothing looks like its all rusty. The inventory view of them looks decent enough and I've painfully gone through and done the inventory sprites. It will take me a while to work through the ingame sprite work though.

Maybe I'll investigate an alternative colour scheme.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: October 15, 2021, 01:51:16 pm »
I'm giving it a shot, however I suspect that X-COM coveralls don't come out well in TFTD's pallet scheme, the clothing looks like its all rusty. The inventory view of them looks decent enough and I've painfully gone through and done the inventory sprites. It will take me a while to work through the ingame sprite work though.
Dont forget to make all 70 of them, for each head.
Also, i personally will be pleased if you add some seaman stripes to the uniform. :)

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: October 15, 2021, 03:27:37 pm »
Dont forget to make all 70 of them, for each head.
Also, i personally will be pleased if you add some seaman stripes to the uniform. :)

Just for you.

Slowly chipping away at the sprites (since its my first time doing them), at this point the coveralls are going to be looking quite dark than normal, I wasn't happy with any other colour scheme that TFTD can give with the coveralls.

I'll see how I feel.

Edit: I think this inventory image looks better
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 04:19:16 pm by Steelpoint »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: October 15, 2021, 09:26:21 pm »
Looks nice.