Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 676624 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.18)
« Reply #690 on: October 11, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »
That's also a terminology issue.

"High stun indicator" is that purple box indicator... works without modding and can be enabled/disabled in user settings.

What is described in that pedia article looks like the "Shock indicator"... which needs to be modded and is visible only when you are already stunned and lying unconscious on the ground... and have negative HP regen (usually caused by your stun level being a lot higher than your max HP).
Allready fixed, will upload when i add something graphic-related. Can't decide what exactly.

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
  • Your X-Com must be quite precious to you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:29 am »
Hi Nord,

Spoiler:
I need to ask you about the Alien Barge mission. Is it an underwater mission or a surface mission?

Based on the mission briefing, which says "floating alien barge", and the fact that the site on the geoscape was on land in Fiji, it seems like a surface mission.

However, the mission itself is underwater, and all my surface weapons are hidden from view when I start the mission. Plus, the music is for underwater missions.

So, I propose this: I will change the description to be called "Alien Submersible" which should imply that it is an underwater mission, and I think you should change the mission location to be generated in the middle of the ocean somewhere. With those two things changed it should be clear that it is an underwater mission. Hopefully this will be the least amount of work for you, too (as long as you intended this to be an underwater mission).

I have attached a save file with my Triton on the way to the mission. If you want to see what weapons I was going to take, just return the Triton to base and look.

On a separate issue, I have acquired 'Old Alien Flight Records' (fun mission to get those, by the way), but I cannot see it in the research topics yet. Maybe I haven't met all the research requirements to see it, but I don't know how to look that up without spoiling everything for myself. You can also see this in the attached save file. Look in 'Sell/Sack' and you will see that I have 'Old Alien Flight Records'.

Also, when you have a chance, please send me your latest English strings file with the updated descriptions for the things Meridian asked about (or just PM me with those two descriptions). I can then update them and then send you my latest English string file before your next release. School is about to start up for me again, so I would like to give you my latest corrections soon so you will have them for your next release. :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #692 on: October 12, 2018, 05:48:50 pm »
Allready fixed, will upload when i add something graphic-related. Can't decide what exactly.

Here is a mod with a shock indicator that is a yellow lightning bolt.  I think it works well.  There are some alternate symbols there too.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6405.0.html

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 12, 2018, 08:09:12 pm »
I need to ask you about the Alien Barge mission. Is it an underwater mission or a surface mission?
It is underwater mission, just a little bug in placement. I'll try to fix it.
On a separate issue, I have acquired 'Old Alien Flight Records' (fun mission to get those, by the way), but I cannot see it in the research topics yet. Maybe I haven't met all the research requirements to see it, but I don't know how to look that up without spoiling everything for myself. You can also see this in the attached save file. Look in 'Sell/Sack' and you will see that I have 'Old Alien Flight Records'.
Item you have used to provide compatibility with old versions. Related technology are allready researched. You can see an article in Usopedia.
Also, when you have a chance, please send me your latest English strings file with the updated descriptions for the things Meridian asked about (or just PM me with those two descriptions). I can then update them and then send you my latest English string file before your next release. School is about to start up for me again, so I would like to give you my latest corrections soon so you will have them for your next release. :)
Spoiler:
      STR_OCEAN2_UFOPEDIA: "The ocean is a harsh environment, and below certain depths water pressure becomes a factor. If the aquanaut's armor has any breaches, he/she will take stun damage each turn. At the moment, only down side of armor counts. This applies if aquanauts dive too deep with only aqua-lung."
Here is a mod with a shock indicator that is a yellow lightning bolt.  I think it works well.  There are some alternate symbols there too.
How about that?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:37:28 pm by Nord »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 13, 2018, 06:28:03 pm »
You can remove all OXCE/OXCE+ missing strings from your extraStrings.rul... lines 970-1218
They are now all included and also updated, so some of yours are obsolete...

for example:
Code: [Select]
# divider
      "SELECT AVATAR FOR\n{0}": "SELECT AVATAR FOR\n{0}"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_1: "#01 Male, Blonde"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_2: "#02 Male, Brown hair"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_3: "#03 Male, Asian"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_4: "#04 Male, African"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_5: "#05 Female, Blonde"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_6: "#06 Female, Brown hair"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_7: "#07 Female, Asian"
      STR_AVATAR_NAME_8: "#08 Female, African"

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 13, 2018, 08:24:23 pm »
You can remove all OXCE/OXCE+ missing strings from your extraStrings.rul... lines 970-1218
They are now all included and also updated, so some of yours are obsolete...
Done... partially.

Version 2.19 is up.
Changelog:
 - fixed shock mechanic;
 - fixed a pair of text strings;
 - minor fixes;
 - new Poseidon appearance, Triton sprites are also updated (minor fixes).
 - newest OXCE build used.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:27:18 pm by Nord »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.19)
« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:20 pm »
Perhaps you would be interested in putting the mod up on Transifex to create other language versions?

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 14, 2018, 08:15:45 am »
Perhaps you would be interested in putting the mod up on Transifex to create other language versions?
What should i do?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 14, 2018, 10:02:27 am »
What should i do?

Nothing, just tell me and I'll set it up for you. :)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 14, 2018, 10:47:19 am »
Nothing, just tell me and I'll set it up for you. :)
Well, ok.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 14, 2018, 01:22:04 pm »
I noticed that your strings are in .rul files, not .yml files. This is okay, but for Transifex we would have to change it. It's no big deal, I converted the files for you, but you would need to create a new folder "Language" within TWoTS and keep the language files there.
Attaching the converted language files. Please confirm if you're OK with this change. Also please test it (remove both extraStrings rulesets, create a Language folder, put the new files there).

Offline Arvidus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 14, 2018, 01:52:54 pm »
Greetings,
Awesome work so far on this great mod. Was hoping I could contribute somewhat in a certain field.

Something I always thought was missing from TFTD was lore surrounding the new political state on Earth.
Was messing around with some ideas for flags for the new council member nations.
Judging from their sphere of influence and marked territories, I made some assumptions surrounding the nations' backgrounds and made designs accordingly:

(My talents lies mainly around GFX and 2D graphics, so my lorecrafting might not be the best. Which is why limited myself to just four nations for the moment)

USA
Considering the fact that the Euro Syndicate only holds territory around the Mediterranean and British Coast and USA now holds dominion across almost all of the Atlantic and North Sea; I imagined that due to events involving EU and Russia, the US took the opportunity to take drastic and radical measures and pull what's left of the EU into its control. Now USA consists of North America minus three states (New Mexico, Texas and Alaska), plus one state (Canada) as well as Western Europe.

New Mexico Cooperative
Mexico now seems to have increased its influence northward and now encompasses what seems to be real life New Mexico and Texas as well. I imagine that Texas and New Mexico broke off from the US and with Mexico came to an arrangement that resulted in a triple union.
(Realised in hindsight that I missed the fact that they have influence across all of the southern coast of North America and the Caribbean)

People's Republic of Alaska
Self explanatory, a communist Alaska. Breaking off from the US due to perhaps similar reasons as Texas and New Mexico.

Brazilian Union
Brazil has been busy. Through military-, peaceful means or a combination; They have managed to bring all of South America in their sphere of influence. So the flag consists of an additional colour to represent more nations as well as the symbol for the current Union of South American Nations (I doubt Brazil could simply rule as an empire and so the "Union" part of the name points more towards a Federative system).

These are just examples and they are far from final. So far, this mod has done an excellent job at fleshing out the world of TFTD and I really hope to see the council members get the same treatment.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:58:55 pm by Arvidus »

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
  • Your X-Com must be quite precious to you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 14, 2018, 05:35:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

Wall of text here (sorry), but there are a few things I would like to explain. I would be thankful to Nord, Solarius Scorch, and Meridian in particular for taking the time to read it. (Meridian maybe can skip to 2nd to last paragraph)

After v2.18 was released, I started a playthrough of TWoTS to finally check out the mod, and also to further debug as many of the English strings that I could. Of course, I have already been working on this file with Nord for a year now, but I still find small things that need to be corrected, like missing articles, incorrect conjugations, and most of all, capitalization inconsistencies.

I try to do my part to make the experience more immersive each time, which to me means removing any distractions that remind the player that the game isn’t perfect, and that some parts of the game are from the mod and some parts are from the vanilla game. So for example, before v2.18 came out, I went through and tried my best to unify the vanilla mission briefings with the TWoTS mission briefings so that they all look the same and use mostly the same way of instructing the player. In this way I hope to make it so a brand new X-Com player can’t tell what’s vanilla and what’s TwoTS when playing this mod. Nord included this round of corrections in the 2.18 release (thanks, again!).

To continue working towards this goal, after v2.18 came out I then tried to unify the vanilla UFOpedia articles with the TWoTS UFOpedia articles, which means that I went through probably 70% of the vanilla UFOpedia strings and tried to make them consistent with the TWoTS strings. For example, in the vanilla strings there were some places where “Gillman” was one word, some places where it was two words (Gill Man), and some places where is was plural (Gillmen). These inconsistencies are distracting to me, and I find many such small problems with the vanilla strings (again, mostly inconsistent capitalizations or use of hyphens), so I have corrected as many as I could find so far. I did this by copying the vanilla strings from en-US.yml into ExtraStrings.rul and making the corrections there.

You might guess that the next thing I would want to do is make the mission alerts (the splash dialogues that show up on the geoscape) consistent between vanilla and TWoTS. Such a guess would be correct.

Now, just prior to Nord’s release of v2.19, I submitted another update of the ExtraStrings.rul file to him which included all these corrections to the vanilla strings mentioned above. However, he did not include this in the 2.19 release. This is no big deal because I know he has his hands full. BUT, now that I see Solarius Scorch is setting up the mod to be translated into other languages, I really want to make sure my latest corrections file is used so that I don’t lose at least two days’ worth of work, but more importantly so that people don’t start translating a ton of (minorly) incorrect texts!

Of course, Nord also made some other corrections to the ExtraStrings.rul file for the v2.19 release as well. I have gone through and merged these two files (thank god for git!), and you will find it attached. Nord, just to reassure you that this ExtraStrings.rul has your latest work, please look at this list of changes that I saw you made, which I then included in the attached file:
- lines 970-973 deleted
- lines 975-1103 deleted
- lines 1107-1206 deleted
- lines 1210-1218 deleted
- lines 613-619 use “Alien Barge” for the name, and not “Alien Lab Sub”
- line 106 uses your corrected way of explaining the Water Pressure Concept

So, Nord, I hope this attached file will have your blessing to be used by Solarius Scorch for Transifex.

Solarius Scorch, I think it’s great that you want to put this mod up on Transifex. I mentioned it briefly before, but just to be clear: for my corrections of the vanilla strings, I have been copying from the en-US.yml file and adding those strings near the end of the ExtraStrings.rul file. When I did this, I did not know that the en-US.yml file would be used for Transifex (or even that this mod would be put on Transifex). The benefit of my approach was that I never changed the en-US.yml file myself.

So now I am kindly asking: If you are going to merge the ExtraStrings.rul file into the en-US.yml file, please use the attached ExtraStrings.rul file instead of the one that came with v2.19, and for the vanilla strings, please be sure to use the ones I corrected (in the attached file) and not the default ones.

I realize that what I am asking is a lot work, because I just got done doing all that work. To make things worse, I only corrected the vanilla strings that I believed needed to be corrected, so how can anyone but me know which ones they are without reading every single one? On top of this, they are in no particular order, only roughly grouped together by category. So, of course, I volunteer to merge these files if you don’t want to do this.

I want to ask, though: If you simply added the full contents of the ExtraStrings.rul file to the end of the en-US.yml file, would that be enough to make sure my corrections of the vanilla strings are used in Transifex? I believe the TFTD game itself just uses the last read copy of any text string encountered when compiling. Does it work the same way with Transifex? Because if so then there really isn’t much work involved.

And finally, Meridian, if you are going to start your LP any time soon, please use the attached ExtraStrings.rul file. After watching your last Area 50 episode and hearing that you plan to play TWoTS sometime, I dropped what I was doing Friday morning for six hours to try to fix as many more things as I could in the English strings (vanilla and TWoTS) to get ready to push another round of corrections to Nord. I know you hold modders to a particularly high standard when it comes to the English text the player sees in game (and I know I am painting a target on my back here), so it would be a shame if you didn’t have my latest round of corrections. It still won’t be perfect because reading hundreds of lines for English mistakes isn’t as effective as reading one at a time as you play the game, but still, the attached file represents my best efforts yet.

IF anybody made it to the end of this, I really thank you for reading it. I’m just trying to avoid losing a bunch of work I just did, but again, that’s not as important as making sure the best version of the file is the one that gets used for Transifex and any high-profile LP that is about to showcase what a great job Nord did making this mod.  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:40:15 pm by long6oarder »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 14, 2018, 05:49:54 pm »
I will add the mod to Transifex only if Nord agrees to the changes which are necessary to use Transifex.
After this happens, I can use whichever file is deemed appropriate... But it's between Nord and any other parties involved, I'm just a technical here. ;) The conversion itself is trivial, I don't mind doing it again for another version.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 14, 2018, 08:18:46 pm »
I will add the mod to Transifex only if Nord agrees to the changes which are necessary to use Transifex.
After this happens, I can use whichever file is deemed appropriate... But it's between Nord and any other parties involved, I'm just a technical here. ;) The conversion itself is trivial, I don't mind doing it again for another version.
Ok, yaml works fine (as it should be). Do you want that i reupload archive with those files?
Ok, great. And in what part of game you want this to be?

Your work is highly appreciated. Of course most updated version shall be used. Sorry for not all done from your posts, distractions IRL. :)