aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 676600 times)

Offline Amoebka

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.36)
« Reply #1275 on: January 20, 2020, 06:36:55 pm »
Wait, 85% chances of what? A supply ship per month? Weren't they like every 5 days in vanilla or something?  :D

I thnik 3 big radars should be 60% detection every 30 minutes, and supply ships land for over a day, so there is no way I'm missing them. Unless landed ships have lower dertection profiles, I guess, which wasn't the case.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 21, 2020, 08:01:25 am »
Wait, 85% chances of what? A supply ship per month? Weren't they like every 5 days in vanilla or something?  :D

I thnik 3 big radars should be 60% detection every 30 minutes, and supply ships land for over a day, so there is no way I'm missing them. Unless landed ships have lower dertection profiles, I guess, which wasn't the case.

Frequency of missions generated by alien base is set to "4". It is 2/3 of vanilla. Each generated mission can be supply(85%) or infiltration(15%).
Jellymen bases generate alien cruise missions with vanilla frequency.

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 21, 2020, 09:35:32 am »
My only main early game issues is a major tendency for many of my surface/suspicious activity missions end up taking place 'just' outside of my starting transports fuel range. Also, the difficulty of the early game sus activity missions feels very out of proportion (hello Xarquids again), the surface missions are pretty fair in difficulty and serve as a great way to gain access to Laser Rifles and X-Rifles, but the underwater missions are a weighted dice roll against the player if you even have the firepower to kill a single enemy, let alone half a dozen who all have full TUs and reaction shots on your exposed troops.

The pirate missions tend to get repetitive very fast, same map layout and literal same spawn points (there is always one cultist spawning to the direct south of the landing zone) means you'll be going through the same ship a dozen times. Does not detract from the enjoyment to a major degree but it does mean my ground tactics become very homogeneous since I know the entire layout, I suppose this is something you could extend to terror missions, but the difference is I can get multiple pirate attacks more consistently.

All in all these are mostly minor concerns, since the game has a much slower start (far more in line with X-Files than Hardmode or most other mods) and skipping or not being able to reach these early missions is not that punishing outside of loss of experience training. I do think the sus activity missions should at least for the first month or two be a bit more 'fair' in the enemies present.

--

Oh, one minor feedback point. The X-Rifles lack any 'oomph' when you fire them, sounding more like Gauss rifles or a peashooter. They should use more traditional ballistic firing sounds.

Otherwise, I've quite enjoyed the other aspects of the mod so far. Good stuff!

Offline Amoebka

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 21, 2020, 05:08:59 pm »
Xarquids drop with 1 large torpedo. You are supposed to rush heavy weapons research and equip 8 torpedo launchers for monster activity missions.
It's not so much that the difficulty is stacked against you, the mod is simply unplayable without spoilers. You have to know in advance what you will need to research and in which order to stand a chance. So your first playthroughs will end in losses until you learn how to do things through trial and error.
The real obnoxious part is that most missions don't give enough loot to be worth doing. These pirates and underwater monsters really overstay their welcome, and there are many more like that. Most mission types you only really want to do once (or not do at all because they give nothing), but they keep spawning forever. So you are stuck doing a dozen recurrent missions every month for zero gain while hoping you can sneak in a supply/dreadnought run somewhere in between the endless spam.

Offline Miranori

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 21, 2020, 07:50:08 pm »
Hello, where I could report crash? I dont know if its TWoTS or XCOM error.
(I attached log / save / screen - game crash after kill all enemies and before continue to next stage.)
Thanks

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 21, 2020, 08:15:54 pm »
Hello, where I could report crash? I dont know if its TWoTS or XCOM error.

oxce error... please update to oxce v6.3.4

and while you're at it also twots 2.36 if you want :)

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 21, 2020, 08:17:26 pm »
I just wanted to reiterate that when I was suggesting an alternative surface only coveralls armor, I intended it as something the player has free access to at the start of a game.

Even if it has identical armor values to the diving gear. I think it'd be more valued for roleplay value, why wear bulky diving suits when we are dropping in the middle of a city.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 21, 2020, 08:20:23 pm »
I just wanted to reiterate that when I was suggesting an alternative surface only coveralls armor, I intended it as something the player has free access to at the start of a game.

Even if it has identical armor values to the diving gear. I think it'd be more valued for roleplay value, why wear bulky diving suits when we are dropping in the middle of a city.
Two reasons:
- you know about such thing as "uniform"?
- deep-diving semi-hard suit is in fact somewhat protective. Not as good as power armor, but better than nothing.

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 21, 2020, 08:54:58 pm »
Diving suits never struck me as an official uniform, more as equipment.

Im simply suggesting that our troops would likely, for roleplay purposes, ditch their bulky diving gear for more comfortable and maneuverable coveralls for any dedicated surface mission.

Naturally this would stop occurring as newer dive and power suits are developed as these suits, due to their flexible materials and powered limbs, would be just as effective on land and sea.

Just a very minor suggestion, and is sourced more from my pet peeve of soldiers taking dive suits into battle on the surface which i first thought of when i first played tftd.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:57:06 pm by Steelpoint »

Offline Amoebka

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 22, 2020, 04:24:21 pm »
Ok, so I'm not sure if this is a bug with the mod or the engine, but still.

Stun grenades cause bleeding for whatever reason. And bleeding unconscious aliens are NOT recovered after the mission (neither as live aliens nor even as corpses).

Also, Gillman Commander doesn't unlock mc research despite being a mc-capable alien. I honestly don't remember how it was in vanilla (which was bugged to all hell anyway), but logically all mc-capable aliens should unlock it. This isn't a big deal, but it's also easy to fix.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:20 pm »
Stun grenades cause bleeding for whatever reason. And bleeding unconscious aliens are NOT recovered after the mission (neither as live aliens nor even as corpses).
Bleeding or overstun? Also you know that shooting tile with sleeping unit will bring wounds to this unit?

Offline Amoebka

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 22, 2020, 08:54:05 pm »
Bleeding (fatal wounds), indicating by blood drops. No bullets flew over the "corpse" and I'm confident the alien wasn't wounded previously (worm terror so they couldn't have shot themselves in panic or something either).

Regardless of how this happened, the second part of the bug still stands - wounded and unconscious aliens shouldn't disappear after the mission. Either they died in-transit and I get the corpse or they lived and I get the live speciment.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 22, 2020, 08:57:48 pm »
Regardless of how this happened, the second part of the bug still stands - wounded and unconscious aliens shouldn't disappear after the mission. Either they died in-transit and I get the corpse or they lived and I get the live speciment.
Dont know exactly how this work, but wounded unconsnious units some times become captured, and sometimes dying. I think about it like "dead before ambulance arrives".

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 23, 2020, 09:25:11 am »
Dont know exactly how this work, but wounded unconsnious units some times become captured, and sometimes dying. I think about it like "dead before ambulance arrives".

Observation:
They usually die (But their corpses tend to be recovered). I do not know whether it is because they are already almost dead (Can't check HP), or because any remaining soldiers heal civvies and own soldiers, but do not heal captives. If you want captives, try to make sure they do not have critical wounds before battle ends.

misterx

« Reply #1289 on: January 23, 2020, 09:56:54 am »
Observation:
They usually die (But their corpses tend to be recovered). I do not know whether it is because they are already almost dead (Can't check HP), or because any remaining soldiers heal civvies and own soldiers, but do not heal captives. If you want captives, try to make sure they do not have critical wounds before battle ends.

maybe they tendo to be recovered if a certain threshold of helth point is not overcomed, but pheraphs it's handled by oxce+ executable and not by rulesets?