aliens

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] UFOPedia bug in more recent nightly  (Read 8150 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UFOPedia bug in more recent nightly
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 07:11:03 am »
I put the map and route files into the main directory to edit them, then I move them to the mod's folders when I am done. The main directory serves as my backups.

When I altered the name of the folder that OpenXcom was saved in, naturally MapView couldn't find it anymore. But when I set the paths manually, it still couldn't find everything, and its error messages weren't very clear as to what it was searching for and failing to find. I even tried running the installer from inside MapView but that didn't fix it. It only was fixed when I removed MapView completely and re-installed it from scratch, which cleared MapEdit.dat back to default--though I had accidentally already done that when trying out options within MapView. Today I still haven't finished adding back all of the maps to MapEdit.dat which were previously erased.

I don't understand this issue... MapView stores the path in \MapView\settings\Paths.pth
It seems to store part of the pathing data in a .dll file, as what's shown in the text file is only partly the actual paths but also paths to other files in MapView which presumably is where they read the actual path from.

Code: [Select]
${tftd}:E:\Games\OpenXcom Nightly 2017-02-09\TFTD
${ufo}:E:\Games\OpenXcom Nightly 2017-02-09\UFO
mapdata:C:\Users\Roadcone\Dropbox\Open Xcom\MapView\settings\MapEdit.dat
images:C:\Users\Roadcone\Dropbox\Open Xcom\MapView\settings\Images.dat
useBlanks:false
cursor:${tftd}\UFOGRAPH
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:14:28 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [RESOLVED] UFOPedia bug in more recent nightly
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 08:15:33 pm »
Reaver==>When I altered the name of the folder that OpenXcom was saved in, naturally MapView couldn't find it anymore.

Yes changing names/locations is hard to gracefully recover from.

In my previous post  example anytime I update Openxcom it would always be Openxcom,
ie you have

E:\Games\OpenXcom Nightly 2017-02-09\UFO
I gather previously or subsequently  it was named something else?

C:\Users\Roadcone\Dropbox\Open Xcom\  (this a normal install however the Users folder  may now be looking for a OpenXcom Nightly 2017-02-09 folder  )

When installing I would always use "OpenXcom"
The "OpenXcom" folder that was previously there I would backup elsewhere before installing though

For you that might be "OpenXcom Nightly 2017-02-09"

In your instance,  if select a name, even "OpenXcom Nightly 2017-02-09" and  to avoid future MapView issues, if you never rename or move the OpenXcom install folder  each subsequent update MapView should find it

---------------------------

UPDATE

A lot of files being copied around, is it done by hand or some type of automation?

Generic bat file instructions to auto copy  altered mod files from the UFO folder of Openxcom to defined folders in your mod folder. If you have better way, please share!

Since MapView and MCDedit are setup to work on files from the main install folder, even created ones, this should facilitate copying those  files to your mod folder.

--You have to alter paths for your particular computer
--USAGE
place .bat in OpenXcom fldr and click on it, and it will copy the modded files from the install directory into your mod folder.  The altered files are copied overwriting earlier versions in your mySUPERmod folder and you run Openxcom as usual, activate mySUPERmod  mod and check the changes.

REM means commented areas, the .bat file will not see them, you can include  comments for future reference as long as preceded by REM

It may take a bit to set up but it can save a lot of time from opening and manually moving files to mod folders in testing

The example below assumes a mod named mySUPERmod  and has modded files in the game directories named mySUPERmod.map. rmp tab, pck and so forth.     You will substitute mySUPERmod for your own named files.  For example, I have  portable install so user/mods folder is in my OpenXcom folder, yours may be elsewhere.

The bat file
(Copy it and paste into a new text document and rename .txt extension to .bat, ie mySUPERmod.txt to mySUPERmod.bat)

Spoiler:
@echo off

echo copy to mySUPERmod folder ...

REM the below is your altered  mySUPERmod.tab.  mySUPERmod.mcd and mySUPERmod.pck files
REM these are most likely from MCDedit
REM .* copies them all without renaming separately

copy "C:\Games\OpenXcom\UFO\terrain\mySUPERmod.*" "C:\Games\OpenXcom\user\mods\mySUPERmod\terrain"

REM this is your altered  mySUPERmod.MAP and mySUPERmod.RMP files
REM these are most likely from MapView

copy "C:\Games\OpenXcom\UFO\maps\mySUPERmod.*" "C:\Games\OpenXcom\user\mods\mySUPERmod\maps"

copy "C:\Games\OpenXCOM game\OpenXcom\UFO\routes\mySUPERmod.*" "C:\Games\OpenXcom\user\mods\mySUPERmod\routes"

REM you can add extra lines to other files here

echo Done.
pause
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:58:25 pm by SteamXCOM »