aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] Xenomorphs ... at last!  (Read 13590 times)

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[WIP] Xenomorphs ... at last!
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:28 am »
So as a bit of thank you to everyone on here being very generous around using resources they have handcrafted I commissioned a sprite artist to finish the Xenomorph sprite that was from some dev artwork.

Given that the structure is similar to the Chryssalid sprite I recommend to save time that this one could be adapted to fit the look and feel of a Xenomorph.

The cost was very reasonable and I think he did a great job, even has a moving tail! Some of the bits need a bit more work as I simply borrowed the Chrysallid ones to fill the gaps.

The ufopaedia images are of my own making using some other bits and bobs posted on here.

As with anything I post feel free to use in your own mods.

Offline SuperCaffeineDude

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
Re: [WIP] Xenomorphs ... at last!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:42:31 am »
Looks badass

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:45:53 am »
It looks cool! Just if I can make some critics..

The arms are opened so wide especially at front view. Maybe legs too. But arms are so round that like there is no elbow. At death sprites, the hand claws could be edited too, they look strange.

But overall it's a brilliant work. I would like to see more types. I will try to give you ufopedia images. I created for xenonauts but not used there. I worked on them so hard so it would be very nice to find a place to use them.

Is there any tutorial or tricks you can give me about how to make new aliens? I can try to do it my own but I don't know how u make them to able to use at ufo. Coding and sprite handling.

Tjx

And i found the images, putting them here.. maybe someone can use them.

And i worked on the sprites a bit.. i think arms are good enough as it is.. i just edited the dying sprites.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:34:57 am by drages »

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:26:09 pm »
Thanks all :) I was certainly impressed when it popped through to my inbox!

Thanks Drages for the touch up.

As for tips, I looked at one of the simpler mods like attack dogs and examined all of the parts to see what was needed.  I find the easiest animation routine is the ethereal one. I'm not talented enough to draw these from scratch so I look for an isometric game to rip from, the latest one I have ripped are the gundam games on the snes.

My workflow is a bit like this:

1. Find a decent sprite sheet.
2. Extract from sheet all the various bits.
3. Organise the ones you want to form the standing in 8 directions, and the animation cycle for walking in 8 directions
4. Load into photoshop and resize them to 32 x 40, converted to indexed image using the battlescape palette
5. Use Falkos tools to create a sprite sheet to use in the game
6. Using the attackdogs.rul file as a template, change the names accordingly.

Works for me most of the time, look at my triffid sprite to see similar questions I posted about units.

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 01:39:02 pm »
Nice! I can try some after i finished tons of weapon sprites more :)..

I would love to see a full Xeno based terror race. With big ones too, queen and preatorian like the sprites i put to my sprite topic.

2 little and 2 big would be enough.. we could add a spliting acid one too..

If you got a talented sprite maker, i can support with money..

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 04:28:31 am »
So another payday means another commission :)

Hopefully have something to share with you all soon. Going to look at doing some palette swaps of the Xenos would be cool to maybe have a queen as a 2 x 2 unit!

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:02:53 am »
So another payday means another commission :)

Hopefully have something to share with you all soon. Going to look at doing some palette swaps of the Xenos would be cool to maybe have a queen as a 2 x 2 unit!

I ordered a queen.

Here is WIP. And i think we need one more 1x1 xeno but i dont know how to handle it.. i want them to be sneaky. 2x2 are hard to move, easy to kill if they are not ultra tough.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:16:47 am by drages »

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:34:45 pm »
Nice work Drages :)

Were you thinking of a snake type? Or a flyer version?

I've been thinking about a face hugger unit that acts as infector unit like a chrysallid.

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 11:33:53 pm »
Nice work Drages :)

Were you thinking of a snake type? Or a flyer version?

I've been thinking about a face hugger unit that acts as infector unit like a chrysallid.

Flyer alien would be not well.. i don't lke flying things :P.. your alien is mix of a warrior and drone.. we could have a smaller one maybe, a little bigger then a dog, on 4 legs..

I got a face hugger. It's easy to make a unit from this images..

Offline SuperCaffeineDude

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 02:54:05 am »
A facehugger would be cool, I love the idea of the relatively-weak facehugger "suiciding" to become something stronger within the round (lore aside). Rather than the relatively-strong chrysallid that creates x*chrysallids
I wonder if an egg could also be a unit... like an alien unit that is a proximity-grenade, attacks a nearby target by "suiciding" into the face-hugger form, that then looks to create a warrior-drone.
It's looking like a neat project though, don't go broke on it dudes, get it coded and I'm sure you'll have artwork thrown at you lol.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 11:37:16 am »
Thanks Super Caffeine Dude :)

I think we are just getting the parts together before forming a main mod, I have some sprites for an egg sac like in the films.

Might borrow some of the content from the apocalypse mod to create organic looking ships or better yet make maps that have infected zones within them to make it look like they have been taken over.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 01:11:38 am »
Now we only need the Predators

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 02:27:44 am »
Now we only need the Predators

I'm working on that :) Check the first post of my Nemesis thread ;)

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 06:21:39 am »
These things should explode upon death to simulate the acid blood.

Offline ikaff

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 06:38:45 am »
Very cool result! well done work! but where is the mod itself? Can I download the link?