Author Topic: Your pick of best tactical game elements?  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Incognito

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Your pick of best tactical game elements?
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:11:40 am »
Well, I'm sure you guys understand. Before 2012 there would always been threads in various forums of how would you like to see X-Com redone, most of which went pretty quiet after we had a redone X-Com. Personally, although I enjoy XCom 2012 I still enjoy pondering how else it could of been redone.

Which brings me to this topic. X-Com's tactical combat is very much the main course of the original and remake, but both seem to do things that could possibly be done better? If one where to pick the best elements they could have of both what would they be?

Following that, what other tactical games had elements you would of really wanted to see in an X-Com style game? If some dude with overly ambitious visions of indie game design was thinking about doing something like that would you suggest they include (putting aside their likelihood of success/failure, etc etc. for humouring purposes).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Your pick of best tactical game elements?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:31:53 am »
I think the original is almost perfect as it is.

The only thing I would like to see improved a bit is the AI.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 04:38:38 pm »
I fully agree with Meridian.

The only feature I really didn't like in vanilla since the 90's was that I couldn't punch a Sectoid in the face.  :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 05:51:01 pm »
The only feature I really didn't like in vanilla since the 90's was that I couldn't punch a Sectoid in the face.  :)

I still remember the time I decided to throw a rifle at a Sectoid hoping it would hit it

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 02:00:04 pm »
Some of the features of XCom 2012 do wonders for balance in the original X-Com. When you use weapon self-destruction in OpenXcom, it slows down research and makes the game considerably more challenging and balanced, so it has become a must in my current playthroughs.

What I would definitely change in the classic X-Com would be improved Alien AI in the battlefield, weapon balance, and manufacturing rules. If were to add something new, it would be a type-2 terror mission with flexible objectives like in XCOM 2012.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:58:02 pm »
I've always wanted to see an X-Com game with Jagged Alliance 2 battlescape. For example the more advanced unit targeting and damage models (it would let you punch a Sectoid in a face and hit them with a thrown rifle ;)), explosions with actual physics and chance of gibbing, and finally being able to jump over all those waist-high walls. :P

Silent Storm destructability would also be a nice plus. Apocalypse was nice but kinda unrealistic.

Offline Incognito

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:22 am »
Yeah I've been looking into JA2 a bit, it has some neat stuff, like its suppression mechanics, also its easily accessed inventory. As for XC2012 I guess I liked the additional emphasis on cover, the larger variety of weapon types (which OpenXcom admittedly gives us) and environmental mobility.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 07:12:41 pm »
Something came up.  Covering fire.  How to suppress opponents so that you can do some manuevoering.  manoevering.  ...  tactical redeployment.