Author Topic: I had a dumb idea for a support weapon  (Read 14487 times)

Offline arbee81

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I had a dumb idea for a support weapon
« on: May 05, 2017, 04:39:44 am »
I don't know how or why I thought of this, but it would be a launcher that fires ammo clips. Give it to a support gal, load her up with extra ammo for your team and she can fire reloads from relative safety. Pretty dumb, huh? But I thought it sounded fun and would fit into the niche of things you put in the craft but almost never use.

Now since I can't see anyone thinking this is a good enough idea to make, I thought I'd give it a shot. Fun little project to dip my toe in the modding waters. Before I get started, though, I want to ask the modding vets: does something like this seem possible to make?  I can't really think of any examples of weapons that fire objects that don't do anything, you know?   I know there's a forum just for mod making, but I was thinking of this specifically with Piratez in mind, so I thought I'd try asking here first.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dumb idea for a support weapon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 06:33:25 am »
So mechanically speaking this is:

A: An object that improves throwing performance(accuracy, range) of everything. This sounds like a gravity gun. Which cool. Even if only executed as throwing the target object with a buff item(the "gun") in the other hand.

B: Fallout's junk cannon. Load anything as ammo, fire anything as ammo, generate clone of ammo at target.

Version A sounds much simpler to create, we already have stat modifying inventory objects, you just need a method to turn off the buff when not in a hand slot.       

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:36:18 am »
This sounds like a gravity gun.

Sound more like a sling.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 07:03:17 am »
And aside from the gravity pull feature(which not implementing here), you are 100% correct stoddard. Throw shit better, has been around since before fire but what version do think sounds cooler?

Unless your Joerg Sprave from the slingshot youtube channel.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 11:48:30 am »
nothing wrong with ideas.  I'd say it would make a great grenade launcher and extend its range.  You just need to do some weird relay thing where someone primes it, tosses it at his feet and he picks it up and loads it.  Or maybe a smooth 'load' feature that automatically primes the grenade.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 12:06:04 pm »
This idea touches one of the features I miss the most in OXC: spawning items (or units) mid-battle. You can't have a Brainsucker Launcher without it ☺

Offline arbee81

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 03:48:11 pm »
Thanks Scorch, I had a feeling that wasn't a feature or i would have run across something similar by now.

I was thinking one option would be like a few people have mentioned, a modified throw, but then I couldn't really think of any weapons that buff stats either.  I was looking for something to use as a starting point.

Is starting to sound more like an armor, with a throwing buff and the launcher permanently in the main hand.  Haha, even dumber than the original idea.  Maybe I'll mess around with that tonight

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 04:56:05 pm »
If it's possible to have an item give +15 strength and -15 carrying capacity while held, you have it : It only increases how far you can throw (+5 tiles for a light item)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:42 pm »
If it's possible to have an item give +15 strength and -15 carrying capacity while held, you have it : It only increases how far you can throw (+5 tiles for a light item)

I think it should be possible in OXCE+, with scripts. Not 100% sure, though - the list of scriptable elements is still growing.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:04:19 pm »
I think it should be possible in OXCE+, with scripts. Not 100% sure, though - the list of scriptable elements is still growing.

Yes, it is possible with scripts, but the checks on when the item is in your hands are limited; right now you could have it give you those bonuses at the beginning of your turn, but then it'd be exploitable by dropping it.  We'll have to wait for new script hooks (such as on-throw, on on-item-pickup, etc.) to do this reliably by script.

Instead, you could make an armor with one hand blocked by this special item (would mostly just be for the sprite), have it weigh an extra 15 units, and give +15 strength.  It could also give a throwing accuracy bonus, but that might break the balance of some of the items that scale off throwing accuracy squared.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:47:00 pm »
I don't think it would be too game breaking to have both bonuses. The throwing squared scale weapons have other detriments as well, like hardlocked short max range and armor pen malus. I would be more worried about a javelin penetrating power armor.   

Offline arbee81

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 12:34:19 am »
Maybe that could be offset by making it extra squishy against common damage types, or maybe giving a TU or energy debuff to make using it offensively impractical. Hmm, not so much the spud chucker I was originally thinking of, but still dumb, fun and potentially useful in very limited circumstances

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 12:56:30 am »
Any way to have the 'weapon' use whatever is in the other hand as ammo?  I ask because right now arc is going to still be a factor, despite much of what you'd be doing with it having little to no arc before hitting your frontliner in the back of the head, so if you can make it actually fire, you can decide how it launches the item, rather than forcing it to be a throw.  Maybe have two fire modes, one direct and the other arcing.

Offline arbee81

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 05:01:27 am »
I think something like that would require the spawn item mechanic. I can't really think of anything else that does that, so I assume it's not possible

Right now I'm thinking of abandoning the gun bit completely and make up some sci-fi device thing in the main hand that can explain the increased performance and weaknesses. Like brainer armor, but for throwing stuff

Offline juff

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 04:01:45 pm »
Approaching the idea from another angle, would it be possible to make an outfit that has lowered TU costs for picking stuff off ground and moving items from backpack to hand?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:03:33 pm by juff »