aliens

Author Topic: Why Turn-Based Video Gaming?  (Read 15236 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Why Turn-Based Video Gaming?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 06:12:17 am »
I think its more relaxing to play turn based.  I can walk off, make coffee, take a phone call and break off attention.  With RTS I have to hit pause and I might be a bit tense even after walking away from the game.  Its like the difference between playing golf and cricket I'd say.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 11:15:04 am »
in real time you always have to "battle" with the interface to a certain degree. in turn based games you don't, because you have all the time you want to input your commands.
this makes turn based games "pure".

(at least this is what gollop said :P )

He did? Maybe he meant the hard-realtime-without-a-pause. There it of course devolves into "sports", like the Starcraft.

In a good designed RTPP (RT with Pause and Planning, hope that is okay) you can issue commands in pause so there is no rush.

I think its more relaxing to play turn based.  I can walk off, make coffee, take a phone call and break off attention.  With RTS I have to hit pause and I might be a bit tense even after walking away from the game.  Its like the difference between playing golf and cricket I'd say.

This seems to be a question of trust. Of course, a good RTPP is configurable to pause automatically in defined situations that need your input. So, you don't even have to pause the game manually to get more coffee. If necessary it will do so on its own.

However, to me it seems important that auto-pause in configurable, in case you are afk, but want the game to run along anyways.

ATM I am playing Star Wolves 3 and it works fine, I am not afraid to go afk, also I have turned off auto-pause on enemy contact, because pirates are no threat any more and the more dangerous opponents cannot help themselves, but always initiate dialogue before combat. I wonder why they did not read the rules for evil overlords?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:54:46 am by Zharkov »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 07:04:08 am »
I play TBS games for the same reasons kharille mentioned above. The other day I was playing a mod and came across a more difficult situation with all my operatives spread out, so I got up and went for a quick workout at my local gym, only a few blocks out. came back, made a move that turned out okay, and finished the mission.

Still can't wait for a better OXC experience on my Android tablet. The controls are something I can't get used to. If we get more updates, it'll be a dream and I'll take it with me everywhere, never closing the game out. Make a move every couple minutes while doing stuff. during breaks and in between hangouts/movies. That's taking it to the next level.

Now I'd like to know what the best portable PC experience is, currently. I can probably ask in an appropriate sub. would love to know future plans as well to start saving money. Like using a Steam controller hmm... What about that Nvidea Shield handheld?

Anyways, you guys are awesome.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 10:56:33 am »
Still can't wait for a better OXC experience on my Android tablet. The controls are something I can't get used to. If we get more updates, it'll be a dream and I'll take it with me everywhere, never closing the game out. Make a move every couple minutes while doing stuff. during breaks and in between hangouts/movies. That's taking it to the next level.

Now I'd like to know what the best portable PC experience is, currently. I can probably ask in an appropriate sub. would love to know future plans as well to start saving money. Like using a Steam controller hmm... What about that Nvidea Shield handheld?

You want to check out an OpenPandora if you can find a second hand one (they are no longer in production)... or wait for the Dragonbox Pyra (it's successor, which is currently in prototyping stage). They aren't cheap, because it's a small venture. There's an OXC port to the Pandora, and it plays great

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 06:01:19 am »
You want to check out an OpenPandora if you can find a second hand one (they are no longer in production)... or wait for the Dragonbox Pyra (it's successor, which is currently in prototyping stage). They aren't cheap, because it's a small venture. There's an OXC port to the Pandora, and it plays great

Thanks for the info Pmprog. Did a quick search. Bummer nobody is selling'em. Not even Craigslist.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 01:45:20 am »
Turn-based and pausable-real-time are very different beasts. Both let you think all you want, sure, but in turn-based actions are executed sequentially, while in real-time they are executed simultaneously, so in real-time you still have to "rush" (to the pause button) to time your actions properly and beat your opponent to the punch, which is why units always have some form of autonomy to compensate.

So in general I prefer turn-based, or a hybrid where the game is real-time when it's one-sided and turn-based when it's two-sided (eg. Jagged Alliance).

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 12:11:25 pm »
Remember reading about starcraft, and how champion players can make over 120 actions a minute.  Skill based I'm sure, and I'm not that good so I'll stick with turn based.  Otherwise, rts on very easy difficulty.  I remember Rise of Nations being horrible to play on the 2nd difficulty level, maybe its my plodding style.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 12:41:02 pm »
Best players actually have 300-400 APM... still, that's only 5-6 actions per second... which means you could theoretically give 2-3 commands per second (assuming only 2 clicks per command). That's basically incomparable to turn-based, where you can do much much more :)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 10:11:13 pm »
..., I cannot help but wonder why turn-based is still so popular, ...

.....because a lot of people like it ...

In the past I played Xcom, Civilization, HOMM, Disciples, MoM, JA, Total War
and I still want to play with them or similar game too :P

I bought on Steam the new modern XCom games  and the series of King Bounty
but during mine few free time I am plaing our openxcom ::) and HOMM III (modded both)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 10:17:06 am »
Remember reading about starcraft, and how champion players can make over 120 actions a minute.  Skill based I'm sure, and I'm not that good so I'll stick with turn based.  Otherwise, rts on very easy difficulty.  I remember Rise of Nations being horrible to play on the 2nd difficulty level, maybe its my plodding style.

I just thought about the games I grew up with on PC. It's a nice change from RTS and RT w/ Pause in my childhood to focusing more on TBS as an adult.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 01:47:24 pm »
Turn-based and pausable-real-time are very different beasts. Both let you think all you want, sure, but in turn-based actions are executed sequentially, while in real-time they are executed simultaneously, ...

But there are tb games, that execute turns simultaneously like Frozen Synapse.

And, of course, tvtropes has something to say about it all: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealTimeWithPause?from=Main.SimultaneousTurnResolution
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:53:03 pm by Zharkov »

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:42 am »
Ever tried laser squad nemesis?  They released the single player quite late, didn't like to play multiplayer.  Its like frozen synapse, you declare actions and the computer resolves the turns for you.  Fun to revisit battles.