Author Topic: [Solved] Any Way to turn off "shot following"?  (Read 4498 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
[Solved] Any Way to turn off "shot following"?
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:52:47 am »
OXC used to have an option for being able to turn off camera following shots.

However because of how shotguns (and machineguns/gatlings) jump all over the dang place, I really, really want to turn off that behavior (read: NEED, to possibly avoid motion sickness).

I went to go uncheck that in the options and couldnt find it. Also cant seem to find it in the .cfg file. Do I need to add a line to the cfg file?

I just want to see where the bullet is going in relation to where im shooting.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 10:38:13 am by Meridian »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Any Way to turn off "shot following"?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:55:28 am »
Try toggling "Smooth Bullet Camera" in Options->Advanced under Battlescape.

Offline MadHaTr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:06:00 am »
Yeah hopefully that helps.  You could close yours eyes when you shoot like Susan Calvin in I, Robot. :D

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:23:20 am »
OXC used to have an option for being able to turn off camera following shots.

"Smooth Bullet Camera" option

However because of how shotguns (and machineguns/gatlings) jump all over the dang place, I really, really want to turn off that behavior (read: NEED, to possibly avoid motion sickness).

I feel your pain and take it very seriously.
OXCE+ itself was born because of similar reason (history lesson: the first OXCE+ feature was to remove the freaking-crazy EGA epileptic flash effect on explosions).
I'll see what I can do about the bullet camera...

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 01:36:44 am »
"Smooth Bullet Camera" option

I feel your pain and take it very seriously.
OXCE+ itself was born because of similar reason (history lesson: the first OXCE+ feature was to remove the freaking-crazy EGA epileptic flash effect on explosions).
I'll see what I can do about the bullet camera...

Thanks guys I found it, been awhile I guess, I dunno if thats where the option always was or if it was a thing under the scroll bar speeds.

A good way to solve it would be to include an option to "turn off bullet camera" altogether. Then it doesn't track shots at all, it centers on whoever was being shot at.

This could be extended to an enforcible option similar to bulletSpeed with weapons, that overrides the normal options on a case by case basis. So for example only applies to a shotgun or minigun by setting it in the .rul entries for those, but other weapons behave normally.

X-piratez' UAC rifle is one of my favorite weapons and it just kinda goes Derp because its technically a shotgun and half the time I dont get to see where the shots went because it jumps back to the shooter for some reason. That game does push it to the limit though, those miniguns and chainguns are like amusement park rollercoasters.

Edit:

Another thing thats needed fixed for a long time, unrelated to this issue but also annoying - if you have currently SEEN an alien then you as the player know where they are.

So when you have a soldier you're moving through an area and that one sees the alien - he stops too even though you already know where it is.

Not sure if it was this way back in vanilla, but I remember soldiers stopping when an alien was discovered, but they dont do it again for every soldier that sees it, at least until I get my next turn.

The first soldier might have their movement interrupted (which can be fatal, but is also a hesitation realistic mechanic) - but anyone after that isnt going to stop in their tracks when they see some Gill Man or Floater that someone else has already seen.

This kinda thing can wear a person's mouse out having to keep double clicking like that all the time. It pisses me off enough I just start making soldiers run (Ctrl) to avoid having to keep moving even though there's like 4-8 aliens in view.

If I already know where it is, and seen where its looking - im already adapting my strategy to it, especially with path indicators on I really dont need to have to confirm movement over and over again to be sure of where im sending people.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:48:23 am by RSSwizard »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:37:29 pm »
Shift Click to make your soldier walk, ignoring previously spotted enemies.  Its a feature of OXCE+

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:18:03 am »
Shift Click to make your soldier walk, ignoring previously spotted enemies.  Its a feature of OXCE+

thanks

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 11:31:09 pm »

Is there a way to make this default? It's lame to press something more for every movement.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 01:53:12 pm »
A good way to solve it would be to include an option to "turn off bullet camera" altogether. Then it doesn't track shots at all, it centers on whoever was being shot at.

Such option was added recently, both for players and for modders: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8210.0.html