Author Topic: Caffeinated Xcom [Concept Only ATM]  (Read 29008 times)

Offline SuperCaffeineDude

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
Caffeinated Xcom [Concept Only ATM]
« on: April 22, 2017, 03:29:49 pm »
==Summery

Trying to make a mod that jazzes up the original art-work and adds some new elements that I think might complement the original design. This is all very pie-in-the-sky, I'm probably never going to put in the time for this.

===FAQ

Regarding active file-sharing (have a couple of pm (sorry I'm often logged out)), firstly there's actually not a lot to this all (There is very little existing sprite work (for the battlemap) and some stuff has been lost), secondly I'm not really rushing to release my half-baked stuff into the wild atm. I will maybe chuck some resources here for sharing
-TBC-

===Setting
1998, an ocean is speculated to exist on Europa, human cloning is banned, TVs and computers have huge CRT displays, mobile phones and gameboy colors are a thing, internet is slow, technologically things are improving.

It is 1999, Yugoslavia & NATO are in conflict, Congo erupted into one of the bloodiest conflicts the year before, the Second Chechen War has just started (Putin now in power), China is rounding up the Falun Gong (soon for organ harvesting), intelligence services and gangs wage a shadow war (the CIA looking to track down bin Laden for a US embassy bombing).

As humanity focuses on tearing itself apart, it fails to look to stars, but in the stars something has taken notice of us.

(idea monthly history round-ups?? news articles)

===Faction (Concepts)

Wyrm(Snakemen): Serpentine(xcom2-esk), Slugs/Fiends(ufo-esk), Defiler (Chryssalid-esk)
Weapons: Slugmen can drop (slugling)eggs on death,
Summery: The Serpentine rule over the slug-men slaves, the Defilers are a parasite brought over from their homeworld.

Kratonians(Mutons): Chieftan, Warrior, Beserkers, Thralls (workers), Cyberthrall (floaters), Pit-tooth (Triscene), Waste-Horn (Reaper)
Summery: Kratonians killed their own planet, famed galatic merceneries, hunters and gladiators, but many are sworn to the bidding of the Uniter, who is in contract with the Eldritch Red-Seers.
Weapons: Auto-Shotguns, Blades,

Tasoth (Gill Man lore combined): Tyrant, Fighter (regular), Spawnling, Spawn & Hatchlings
Weapons: Javalins(ranged on land, melee in water)

"Deep-Ones" (now 2x2 Lobster Men not divers): Goliath,
Summery:  Only fight in the depths, Guard end-game elements

Wielders of the Rousing Light
Cult Diver, Cult Submarine (small explorer), Cult Dreamer, Cube Construct (Deep-one Ambassador)
Summery: Want to cause the end of everything, the end-times, lead by a burning-bush-esk entity

Red Seers (Ethereals)
Eldritch (Ethereal), Children of Faith (power-ranger teens), Chosen Mercs (mix of aliens), Human Thralls (psi-zombies)
Summery: Want to stop the end of everything, would prefer to rule earth, may burn it clean, don't want to risk triggering the end times. Maybe less common, to stop escalation into psi-research, also with timed explosives they drop so they're harder to capture alive

Toliet Thoughts:
Spoiler:
Core Changes (less likely)
Fatigue/PTSD System (using Mana-System or alternative) would give a reason to rotate people out other than wounds.
Amputees & Scars, each soldier starts in a phase like a zombie, on "death" they move to a second phase like the Chrslid only it is a random impaired phase. (very unlikely to bother with this) Once "healed" they come crudely augmented with a prosthetic, they can can be augmented with a simple or advanced augmentation from a running-blade to a robo-foot.
Reduced Throw, broadly reduced strength outside of power-armor.
Maybe less actionpoints per turn for all, as it can feel silly having units dance around each other, or more reaction fire for everyone?
Lower Inventory (Remove most backpacks (You're a rapid-response team, you're not hiking in))
Flying Power Armor replaced with flying Personal Armor (make it a trade off, less economic and more risk based)
Base Escape not Defence?? You cannot hope to defend a base forever against an orbiting foe you need to get out of dodge.
Alien Deployables (Using new Spawning)
Alien weapon that launches scattered proximity mines would make people feel more powerless maybe than straight up killing a target
Alien spider-egg-sac like weapon would be terrifying, scattered spawning of tiny spiders.
Alien-leech thrower, both explosive and biting
Player Deployables (Using new Spawning)
Player deployable Turret, a static shooting civilian.
Player Hologram deployable, creates target/bait for aliens
Player deployable dogs, as civilians to keep from feeling like just another human agent
If TFTD expanded content included...
No backpack slot, replaced by air-tank
"Shallows" missions the default armor allows you to float(fly) in "Depths" missions you are in a weighted suit and movement is restricted.
Most enemies float
Merge the concept of "Gill Man", "Aquatoid" & "Tasoth".
Make a "Lobster Man" less cartoonish.
"Deep One" & "Calcinite" replaced by human-traitors and "Sectoids" in suits.
You basically can't throw anything underwater

Possible Factions OLD EDITING
Spoiler:
AETOS (You (XCOM)) the eagle of Zeus, Anti-ExtraTerrestrial-Operation-Service, an orbiting object fell into Area-51 where it was taken for analysis, it was thought to contain a relay to Mars, the probe contained organic material, it was alive, after years of study the probe was asking to be taken to our leaders, it was taken before the UN council, it engaged in a conversation, it demanded surrender, the council refused, the probe relayed the refusal, and sent back a response, and started shooting council members.
-Possible Mission defending Council-
One year later a barrage of shots hits major urban areas, and observable military targets, the world is thrown into chaos, and in desperation the UN is indefinitely granted total power.
A number of probes were also sent, some infiltrate and undermine the earth's economy, others simply carry out assaults.
A larger mass approaches earth's orbit

UN Forces (Civilian) [Medium]
Note: The targeting of all earth's national militaries triggered a pact you can choose to support (Unlocks; UN Lasers, UN Adv-Alloys, ect, on market).
Note 2: Support will leak out into traitor factions such as Advent.
Advanced UN Trooper: (Unlocks when you share technology) A trooper in UN cyan, armed with laser rifle and advanced-alloy armor.
UN Trooper: A trooper in UN cyan, armed with an assault-rifle and helmet.

Advent Cultists [Low Priority]
Cultist Member: Members of the cult of Advent, swamped in brown, symbolising their lowly status.
Cultists of Red Cloth: The warriors of the cult, they police the meetings, and occasional inserections.
Cultists Speaker in White: The men who claim to have spoken with the Eldritch. (Hat with Eldritch eye)
Cultist Martyr: A man in motley with a strapped on IED

Transhumanist Protesters [Lowest Priority]
Note: It is bad to shoot down protestors, as they are only guilty of being misled
Instigating Protester: Protesters that came for a fight, they have gas-masks and sticks.
Emboldened Protester: Protesters caught up in the violence, they chuck stones and throw punches, but little else.
Emboldened Protester with sign: Protesters with signage conveying things like; "Love thy Neighbor signs", "Give talk a chance", "Change", etc.

Rage/Spice Dealers [Low Priority]

An addictive hallucinogen (Stella-X/9D/Spore), and the powerful steroid (Rage/Zulu/Amber), appear on markets, rarely concentrated, often cut with conventional drugs...
Zulu is thought to be manufactured in West-Africa, it is then shipped to Mexico and distilled with Crystal-Meth to form an amber-crystal...
"The Mexican Laboratory" is an underground facility run by gangsters come death cultists of "Santa Muerte"...
"The West African Distribution Facility" is run by Shaka, he maintains an army of child-soldiers...
The Facility is where the product is taken, they grow crystals on the splines of the living...

The shipments of Spore are equally nefarious and come from Advent, they use human cadavers to feed the psychedelic mushrooms

Thoughts: Zombie like addicts could be featured, drugs could be used to upgrade troops (perm/temp)
These drugs could be made synthetically (by xcom), but it's much harder than growing them on human livestock, as the organisms tailor themselves to their host.
Some of the drug pushing is made to undermine the economy of earth's resistance, a little like China's opium crisis undermining their efforts at resisting the british.

Mantoid [Medium]
Note: A flying xeno baring passing resemblance to a mantis or locust, fairly intelligent if short-lived creature, fairly erratic species by human standards.
Mantoid Swarm: A dangerous and ravenous swarm of insects hard to kill without a broader projectile
Mantoid: A drone in the middle of its lifespan, it projects a corrosive acid towards its foes
Mantoid Carrier: A female Mantoid that will cling to a foe and explode, spawning a Mantoid-Swarm
Mantoid Gelded: A rare form of Mantoid less prone the the suicidal urges of other Mantoid, they will often rid themselves of most of their anatomy, but they are still by nature driven towards the preservation of the Mantoid race

Kratonian [Higher]
Kratonian Chieftain: A leader of his tribe
Kratonian Long-Tusks: Elites of the tribe
Kratonian Grunts: Standard Troops
Kratonian Thralls: Fallen warriors, often challengers punished with the conversion. Only in this state can a Kratonian control himself enough to fly.
Kratonian Bloodluster: Gladiatorial-esk berserkers, affected by a mental-disease the Kratonians sought fit to retain

Deep-Ones [Medium]
Notes: I'm thinking a lobsterman would be way way cooler if he was a 4 tile beasty, and that they held the key to the final mission.
Deep-One Ancient: Huge monster with an energy-shield, uses shotguns, explosive slugs, and claws
Deep-One: Huge monster that uses shotguns, explosive slugs, and claws
Red Bio-Drone: An exploding jellyfish
Blue Bio-Drone: A mind-controlling jellyfish

Slogutis/Wyrm [Medium] (Snakemen)
Notes: Snakemen are a little generic, I'm thinking in my take they'll be depicted as blind, perhaps with bat-like ears, and then that can be tied into them being much weaker to sonic damage.
Slogutis Matriarch: Breaths fire, attacks with tail
Slogutis Drone: Similar to now but cosmetically different, maybe uses a polearm (ties in with guarding a queen)
Slogutis Drone (Fertile): A sneaky variant that on death releases offspring.
Slogutis Offspring: A nasty snake-like beast that spills from the corpse of its father.

Geminae [Higher]
Notes: I'd like to make them appear smaller than Sectoids, they eat till they throw up an egg-sack, the embryo takes DNA from what they eat.
Geminae Ethereal: Geminae that are psionically gifted
Geminae Soldier: A Geminae in a light alloy power-suit
Geminae Drone: The majority, they use pistols, or light variants of rifles
Geminae Egg Sack: Pops on proximity releasing the following...
Geminae Hatchling: A smaller, but well developed drone, only armed with its claws

Thanks to everyone that has commented so far, i'll hopefully have something up soon eventually.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 05:23:38 pm by SuperCaffeineDude »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Left Right Armor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 03:57:50 pm »
Adding a shield to armor is part of both XCom Files and Piratez, if you want to look at examples there. Unfortunately you can't differentiate between sides with normal armor values, though you may be able to write a special script in OXCE/OXCE+ to reduce an attack's power if it hits the left side specifically - that's some difficult code to learn though.

As for blocking a hand, just put an item built-in​to the armor on that hand, and make sure it can't be dropped. If you give the item a proper handob too, you don't have to change the personal armor sprites at all.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 04:16:32 pm »
Is there a way to define the left side of my armor as a greater/different variable than the right, the example I'm using just has "sideArmor".

Not yet, but I can add it to OXCE+. Should be a small change.

Also is there a way to disable an arm?

You can disable an arm by adding a built-in/fixed weapon to your armor (which will look like shield) and specifying, which armor slot it should occupy (left or right hand). I'm not 100% sure anymore, but I think it requires OXCE+, vanilla most probably doesn't offer this.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:51:11 pm »
Thank you for your responses, I'll investigate the suggested mods, if OXCE+ should feature L/R variables that'd be great, but it's no worry, tbh I'm just dipping my toes in modding atm, as I've been meaning to for a long time now.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:04:44 am »
Right now using scripts you should create something like that. You can reduce weapon damage by arbitrary value when it hit one side of unit.
One drawback will be lack of UI feedback on unit stats.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:08:46 pm »
Left and right armor can now be different.

The "sideArmor" now defines the right armor; and left armor is defined as "sideArmor" + "leftArmorDiff".
Diff can be positive or negative.

Code: [Select]
armors:
  - type: STR_PERSONAL_ARMOR_UC
    frontArmor: 50
    sideArmor: 40 # right armor = 40
    leftArmorDiff: 50 # left armor = 40 + 50 = 90
    rearArmor: 30
    underArmor: 30

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 03:11:33 am »
Nice! Appreciated Meridian, I hope this assists others to, I'll try to submit something soon.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 12:03:23 am »

Damn, I'll defiantly have to go through the tedium of editing the sprites now :p.

This is cool though man cheers, do you list the ruleset changes to your OXCE+ armor-wise anywhere?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 12:48:26 am »
This is cool though man cheers, do you list the ruleset changes to your OXCE+ armor-wise anywhere?

There is a changelog in the main thread, you can go through and check links/details for what looks like armor change.

But probably easier is to open let's say PirateZ ruleset and look there... most, if not all new attributes are used there.

Or wait for official documentation... which is coming... but it will take time.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 09:26:30 pm »
There's no worries, I had a look at the PirateZ ruleset, obviously they've got the shield down as a hand-object, I'm going to continue with my course though and draw it on-top the left arm using the "Personal Armor Variants" mod, just to try out the left armor value change. I'll probably try a few different methods if I don't like it though.

It took me a while to understand which arms where which, and at which orientation, but I'm making some progress with the sprite sheet now

I kind of think the south/north facing person's shield (that faces east/west) needs some work,  and I've not done movement and the grip pose just yet, but you can hopefully see where I'm going with it.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:01:48 am »
Looking good.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:18:35 pm »
Cheers ;D , it's shaping up...

I'm trying to figure out how to save over the personal-armor information to adjust minor details right now, I seem to be missing something idk, I'll have another go at it later.

I need to do a vanilla female-PerArmor (light&heavy) portrait and adjust 6 of them for skin tone.

Ideally i'd like to also expand the number of portraits, have multiple hair styles per skin-tone. Make it like a manga (gantz), to make dudes stand out from each other, at least in the inventory (afros/hobo/bandanna/army-cap/etc).

We'll see, just seeing what's possible atm.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 07:09:54 pm »
btw in battlescape you aren't limited only to two chest types, you can add many more using scripts.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 06:59:50 am »
I've got a notion what you mean, I suspect that's a huge project for me at this time (sprites and code), so I'll keep it basic for now and add to it later.
There's also some more minor content I want to test out and bundle with my project.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 12:51:54 pm »
Wow, these are some fine cyberpunk troopers. Make my knees weak.